is having 22 frets bad or is it just as good as having 24. would it limit the songs you could play.
depends, i used to always use super strat type guitars, but i never used them, now im buyin a prs with 22, and its not going to bother you, some people use them, some dont, its not a big deal in my opinion
It isnt that important, personally i dont think it matters at all.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
The 22 fret v. 24 fret battle is the same as Ford v. Chevy - it's just a matter of personal preference.
Hi, I'm Peter
it's all about personal preference. i prefer having all 24 frets, but get whatever you like best.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
you most likey won't use 22+ for many songs, but it wouldn't hurt to have... no real difference i guess
For me, 24 frets are inportant.
When i had a 22 fretter i didnt miss the frets but now when i always use a 24 fretter i realy need em.

I always use them.
24 frets for me is essential, because I can play the tapped D minor arpeggio (I tune to D) as opposed to a 22 fret guitar where you couldn't. I think 24 frets is better, because you get two full octaves, but then again; if you're asking that question then you don't need 24 frets.
well you can alway bend the 22 up to 24 (or further) so it isn't necessary but it wouldn't hurt to have them because then you could bend the 24 up higher. i guess this is the better to have and not need than need and not have deal.
If you shred then you might want them. But they only give you two extra notes and they can be difficult to play and reach. I have a 24 fret guitar, every once and a while I get up there, but not that often. I find it hard to play the 24th, because my finger is slightly bigger than that fret, so sometimes I accidentally mute the note. It is rare to find music that you need those frets. Think about all your guitar heroes, the majority of them do not play 24 fret guitars. Most play gibsons (22 frets), strat (21 frets), and others (usually 22 frets). That said, if you are a awesome lead guitarist you will probably want the extra frets.
for most styles of music you wouldn't really need 24 frets
if you want to shred, it might be a good idea, although there are many shredders who use 22 fret guitars (malmsteen, satriani)
but those two extra frets could come in handy. Listen to guitar players like steve vai, ron thal and mattias eklundh

edit: VVV he sure is.
Last edited by kyrreca at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by kyrreca
for most styles of music you wouldn't really need 24 frets
if you want to shred, it might be a good idea, although there are many shredders who use 22 fret guitars (malmsteen, satriani)
but those two extra frets could come in handy. Listen to guitar players like steve vai, ron thal and mattias eklundh

Guthrie Govan is another who makes great use of only 22 frets.
They're pretty useless for the majority of songs. Like, vast majority. If you're a shredder type though it'll probably come in handy.

There is the debate about the difference it makes to the sound from the neck pup too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Dirk Gently
The 22 fret v. 24 fret battle is the same as Ford v. Chevy - it's just a matter of personal preference.

Second That.. I Prefer 22 and Chevy
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Quote by wasp2020
Satriani uses 22 frets? Since when?

at least since he got his signature JS guitars which have 22 frets
hmm... 22 or 24? i got an encore strat copy with 22 and its ok, i also got a Lindo with 24 and i think it sounds better for some reason not too sure if its the number of frets or just because its a better guitar... only mad lead shredders play that high up anyway (as said above lol)
If your just starting out it makes no difference until you get really good... in which case Good Luck!! ha ha
My Gear (its soo lame )

Lindo Flame-Out, black
2x single 1x double hum. coils
Overlord of Music floyd-rose style bridge
locking nut (oh yea!!)
---
Squire SP10 Amp
Danelectric Fab metal dist.
DigiTech RP80 effects modeller
24 frets is like having a whammy bar or a fixed bridge, depends if you will use it or not.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i prefer 22 frets over 24 frets because the neck pickup tone is more important for me than the extra 23rd and 24th frets, and i use the neck pickup a lot.

guitars with 22 fret have a better neck pickup tone compared to 24 fret guitars imo, sounds much smoother.

but i still love my M-II :P
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
quite a few children of bodom songs, and necrophagist songs use 24 frets, and its pretty impractical to bend up to the 24th fret when your playing at higher speeds.
Just as good as the other, depends on what you're doing. When I got my first 24 fret guitar, I loved it; always played all the songs I knew an octave higher. A lot of fun, and I've always used my 24 frets. I'm quite fond of really high pitched notes, and I'm considering getting a Caparison guitar with 27 frets whenever I can.