After returning my Hot Rod Deluxe to GC following a series of unfortunate (Powertube/Output Problems) events I am now looking for another tube combo. I really liked the clean on that amp but I found that the drive sucked real bad. I have decided that all that I want now is a quality tube combo with one channel. I'm still very interested in Fender for their cleans, and Marshalls are way expensive. I'm seriously considering a 65 twin reverb RI but I have a few questions. First, Is 85w all tube going to be major overkill? I will only be using this for small/medium gigs and loud band practice. I have a loud drummer FYI. It would be way cool to have an 85w amp and considering all the other mid watt fenders cost more (Except for the Deluxe Reverb which might be a little to small and the Custom Vibroluxe which has hissing problems). I most definitely will be using a TS-9 with any amp I get so I don't think I'm going to need to be cranking the amp. I'm also interested in the Bassman since its 50w and the circuit boards are the same as Marshall JMPs. How would a Bassman work with an Epi SG guitar? I have a small compact car so it has to be portable. BTW I'm look for a Miles Davis/Chuck Berry/The Who/ACDC/John Mayer kind of rig.
Official Mascot of The Fender Armada!
Two Four Six Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Yay Fender Woooo!!

Epiphone G-400 Custom - Fitted with a Original Bigsby B5
Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
Fender Bassman.

Crank it, perfect for you.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Rgr That.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
if its too loud get a power attenuator
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

??
Don't be afraid to care"

I don't think you can use a P-AT with a combo can you? BTW I just realized that the Bassman doesn't have reverb. Man.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
P-AT? What's that mean?

And so? It's a great amp, just get a reverb pedal with it.
Don't be afraid to care"

Oh right.
Well you can use one, you just connect it between the amp and the speaker.
Don't be afraid to care"

Might want to take a look at the Fender 65 Super Reverb Combo Amp. Very similar to it's big brothers, but with just 45W pushing 4 10's. And, obviously, it has reverb. Same price range, power, and size as the Bassman. Probably worth a look.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-65-Super-Reverb-Combo-Amp?sku=480703
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks bro^ *EDIT*

Why would this be worth the extra $100 when I could get double the power for cheaper? Is it the extra speakers or what? Like I said it doesn't matter which rig I get I'm prepared to use a TS with it so even if I got the 85w I wouldn't be cranking it unless needed.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Supernova5 at Feb 14, 2007,
Whoa, if you didnt like the overdrive on the HRD, yet your using a pedal anyway, what does it matter? Just pretend it isnt there (as in dont use it), and you have a much cheaper bassman, albeit one of lesser quality.

EDIT: Also, the Twin handles overdrive and distortion terribly. You'd have to buy atleast 2 tubescreamers for it to have enough overdrive and not sound tinny.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I don't own the HRD anymore bro. It had other problems besides the drive I.E. various speaker rattles and the V1 preamp socket had issues also. Since I am getting a second chance I figure that I will get something of more quality.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Supernova5
Why would this be worth the extra $100 when I could get double the power for cheaper? Is it the extra speakers or what?

I don't know! (although, I'm only seeing a $50 difference) The extra speakers are probably a good guess. If you don't need all those watts, and want to get some natural tube overdrive, the smaller amp is probably a better bet for you.

The Bassman is the same cost, but doesn't have the reverb and tremelo the Super Reverb has. Both are reissues. Must be the speakers. Anyway, I know which way I'd lean.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you want nice cleans, you might wanna try and find an old Sound City. I know I go on about them a lot, but I really love mine. The cleans are very "Fendery", and they are a lot cleaner than marshalls. They will distort too, but it takes a lot (you'll need a pedal or some mighty strong ears). For an example of their clean tone, Jimi Hendrix used a Sound City "One Hundred" on a few songs, one being "Little Wing".
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.