Could anyone please help me out with Creating a harmony a third up with a note like 4th fret on the A string (C#/Db) How could I create a 3rd going up if it winds up between E and F? Should it go Should it be E or F or will I even be able to do this? Any help would be great. THanks
You generally use the note that fits in the scale. If you're in C# minor or something that uses a C# minor chord, you would play E. If you were in C# major or something that uses a C# major chord, you would use E# (you can't call it F since F# is the fourth).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You generally use the note that fits in the scale. If you're in C# minor or something that uses a C# minor chord, you would play E. If you were in C# major or something that uses a C# major chord, you would use E# (you can't call it F since F# is the fourth).

there's no such thing as E#...
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by kyrreca
yes there is

there is? i thought there was no note between E and F... oh well, i'm probably wrong, i suck at music theory anyways
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by kyrreca
yes there is

Seconded. You can't have one note name with two functions.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
id like to be enlightened on the fact that there is an E sharp!!! Please enlighten me..............

p.s before you do this, go and find the E sharp on a piano????????????????????
I also did not know there was a note between E and F. If I was playing C# then thrid would be E# If that really is a note.... B-C and E-F just go from E to F and B to C
it's the same note as E, but if you're going to write out C# major, it's
C#D#E#F#G#A#B# C#,
not
C# D# F F# G# A# C C#
^ Alright, I have a piano RIGHT beside me. I need all but two seconds to turn and locate the E sharp..

Image attached. I'd like you to try and tell me why that isn't an E #....
Attachments:
Esharp.jpg

the answer is F.

The reason is as follows:

the start note is C# So using that as the root note and using the major scale intervals
(ROOT TONE TONE SEMITONE TONE TONE TONE SEMITONE) a third up from c# (ROOT TONE TONE )is F. There is no such thing as E# a semitone up from E is F as there is no semitone in between as stated in the major sale intervals.

Distance between E and F and also B and C is a semitone (NO SHARPS OR FLATS), that is the rule and theory basics. Every other pair of notes has a Tone between them (that is there is a sharp or flat in between them) i.e A A# B, C C# D , D D# E , F F# G , G G# A

Read the AB Schol of music book, it tells you the whole story a bit more clearly than i can.

TONE = 2 FRETS ON A GUITAR

SEMITONE = 1 FRET
Hey rik, triple posting aside....

Do me a favour, please.

All I want you to do is spell out the notes in C# major, or even F# major.

I'll wait here. I'm only being sassy because you are talking down to me, and I think you need to know that an E# DOES exist.

Quote by rik231
the bottom line is the right way to right it out ky.

why don't you stop quadruple posting and learn some theory
we're not saying E# and F are two different notes that have a different pitch, it's two ways of naming the same note, like Ab and G#

edit: bye bye rik
Last edited by kyrreca at Feb 14, 2007,
I'd just like to point out that E# and F are only the same pitch in an equal tempered system

I know it's almost a semantical distinction because most people never see the need to consciously play anything otherwise (subconsciously correcting thirds etc to be in tune I wouldn't count here) but that's the way it is
Quote by SOADrox429
there is? i thought there was no note between E and F... oh well, i'm probably wrong, i suck at music theory anyways

E# is F. Fb is E. They are possible within scales, but most people see them as just E or F.

Anyway, if you don't know theory and you are wanting to create 3rd harmonies, there is one thing that I always did till I got the sound I wanted...

TRIAL AND ERROR

just keep pluggin away until you get the sound you want. It helps a lot if you have a recording program or something to listen to yourself. Most small phrases I use a delay pedal that has 7-second playback on it so I can play over whatever I just semi-recorded.
Some of the most powerful moments are when there is nothing to be said