After that little argument, I'm gonna try and get some help from UGer's. So, how do you get Frusciante's tone? It's really nice, and I'd love to know how to get it. I have a Fender 25R Frontman, a Fender Fat Stratocaster, a VOX V847 wah wah pedal, and a DigiTech RP200A. Also, if any of you have any tips on how to play like him, and the way he plays chords with little riffs over them, that'd be greatly appreciated. (I.E. Under The Bridge)

Also, if anyone starts to say anything like "Frusciante sucks! He should've died!"

Just ignore that person, 'cause they're just looking for attention.
didnt you already have this exact same thread awhile ago? about getting like Frusciates and Mayors tone?
Quote by False_God
didnt you already have this exact same thread awhile ago? about getting like Frusciates and Mayors tone?

Yeah, but I didn't get much out of it, and people were saying stuff like JF sucks, so I closed it and decided to start a new one.
well for those live solos hes been doing on this tour.. i believe a Big Muff distortion pedal and a wah pedal (ibanex he uses i think) are essential.. theres my 2 cents
damn that guy, he posted something like "if i got banned then this site would lose some vast musical knowledge" then in another thread he asked what the notes in brakets on tabs meant, anyway so this isn't spam ... have a slight bit of gain on the drive channel so its like a clean channel just starting to break up and then put on the middle pickups on your strat. He uses his thumb over the top of the neck to hold down the bass notes on barre's like hendrix did, this gives him more options of where to put the rest of his fingers when doing those fills.
POST FINDER
ps.. for the licks over/between chords type deal.. for starters play the root.. or low E with your thumb for easier acces to riffs.. then just find out what notes would make a good riff in the progression your using, ex. the notes from the appregios or whatever.. thats about all i know
Quote by mattreid222
damn that guy, he posted something like "if i got banned then this site would lose some vast musical knowledge" then in another thread he asked what the notes in brakets on tabs meant, anyway so this isn't spam ... have a slight bit of gain on the drive channel so its like a clean channel just starting to break up and then put on the middle pickups on your strat. He uses his thumb over the top of the neck to hold down the bass notes on barre's like hendrix did, this gives him more options of where to put the rest of his fingers when doing those fills.

But see, what I don't get, is how to use your thumb on a barred E like this

E 7
B 9
G 9
D 9
A 7
E ?

or a D or something. Do you just not use it?
playing notes over chords is where it's valuable to know the scale you want to play in over the entire neck. to start, hit the desired notes in the chord and let them ring out if you want (you'll pretty much always let the 6th string ring out, at least), then just go to the scale's "box" that is nearest to the chord you're playing and make up something that fits.
Quote by guitarkid2113
But see, what I don't get, is how to use your thumb on a barred E like this

E 7
B 9
G 9
D 9
A 7
E ?

or a D or something. Do you just not use it?

you only use the thumb on the 6th string usually, unless you've got big hands. if you can bar the A string with your thumb then go ahead and do it, but not everyone can.
well fru has a ds-2 and a big muff, not sure what one he uses most, he has an extremely rare ibanez wh-10, a mxr phase 90, a boss chorus ensemble, he keeps his amps slightly cranked with the gain on a bit, with the tone cleaned up by keeping the guitar volume controls down. i'd say around 6 or 7ish for treble and around 3 or 4ish for bass.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
if that tit comes back on here to insult Frusciante blatently, i will make sure he goes to bitch jail and doesnt pass go

what an utter loser he was, probably some Malmsteen disciple
How could anyone say Frusciante sucks? Not that hes the greatest or anything, but hes about as close to hendrix as we'll get in this day and age. His playing is like listening to the man himself. They are so much alike in how they play rhytem and lead.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I have recently become fascinated by Frusciante and his amazing tone. I am still baffled on how he gets that, trebley sound while he has his rythm pickup on. It should be easy for you to get that cuz you have a fender.(i used to have one.) so for that you just put treble on about 8 and middle somewhere around 4 bass around 6. reverb around 5. This is just my guess for your amp. As far as pedals and stuff, I have the VOX wah and it sounds fine to me but he does use an ibanez. Distortions he has a Big Muff, an English Muff, and a Boss turbo distortion, and also one of the MXR micro amps for all his solo's. Moogerfoogers for his modulaters. Line 6 delay. And the marshall amps.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15789

that site will explain it all, and has a great picture.
To get a Frusciante tone, save up for a better amp. That would help you a lot so much more.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by davedoom
if that tit comes back on here to insult Frusciante blatently, i will make sure he goes to bitch jail and doesnt pass go

what an utter loser he was, probably some Malmsteen disciple

don't oyu realise that you're acting the same thing, but with a frusciante t-shirt on instead?
Ok to sound like Frusciante save up and buy every pedal known to man, 60s stratocasters and teles, A Marshall JCM800 Silver Jubilee with two matcing 4x12 cab's.
You forgot the Marshall Majors. They are 200 watt tube heads that are almost impossible to dirty up and are extremely rare.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker
Ok to sound like Frusciante save up and buy every pedal known to man, 60s stratocasters and teles, A Marshall JCM800 Silver Jubilee with two matcing 4x12 cab's.

Unlike most guitarists, John's tone isn't really all about his amp. Any good tube amp with a bright clean channel will suffice. He uses Jubes but he doesn't even overdirive them.

Almost all of his tone comes from his array of pedals. Get a Big Muff and a wah and you'll have enough to do most of his stuff. The majority of his riffs and what not are simply hendrix style cleans.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Clean amp with a slight bit of gain, then roll your guitar's volume back to about 6 or 7 to get the characteristics in the notes he gets (pick hard too)

Then buy a Big Muff and you're set for his basic tones.

His basic clean tone is from a Marshall Major (200watt valve amp), and also 2 Jubilees, but I think it's mostly from the Major.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
anyone know what the fender head (bassman i think) beside his pedalboard is for when he's playing live?
He doesn't use a Fender head anymore. In the Californication tour, he used a Fender Showman.
Sent from my iPad.
^Yup, that was for the Gretsch.

I can't remember what the head next to his pedalboard did, someone will though.

Anyone see John's board for the Brits? t'was small!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Use a light gain on your amp. Then for leads, you can use something to boost it. At least that's how i do my RHCP covers.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by R_H_C_P

Watching it now!! He prolly realised that he didnt need half of those pedals for that performance and for the whole tour!! haha!! Best performance of Dani C I think so far..
remember that john uses a lot of effects so recreating his sound will be hard if you want every sound he has made, the best thing to do is to get a sound that you are happy with, for a john style sound fender blues jnr is a nice amp on a budget as is the marshall DSL altough slightly inconcistent for my ears, for some one with a larger budget a marshall jcm800 is good i belive he used them in the early days and for distortion a big muff and boss ds-2 which are exactly what he uses which is great as they are quite cheap, the ibanez wah is pretty much the hardest thing to get so it maybe better of not bothering trying to recreate that for now.

tips for getting johns sound on certain budgets:

squire strat
fender blues jnr
little big muff
boss DS-2
boss chorus
a nice phaser

MIM strat
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or marshall DSL
big muff
DS-2
boss chorus
Mxr phase 90
a fairly cheap wah(dunlop comes to mind esspecially good for modding)

MIA strat
Jcm 800 combo or a larger fender head
big muff
ds-2
Mxr phase 90
a decent wah
line six filter or similar multi effects with decent filter sounds

eric johnson strat or'69 strat
marshall jubellie
what ever pedals take your fancy from his rig

so what ever your budget johns tone is with in reach just keep it simple dont go over board with effects like him just get the ones you like and dont be worried about getting exactly the same things as him just find things you like. as long as your gain is set to 7 or eight and you use your playing dynamics on a clean channel his sound is fairly easy to create.
good luck dudes keep listening to good music hopes this helps
Quote by The_0thersid3

MIM strat
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or marshall DSL
big muff
DS-2
boss chorus
Mxr phase 90
a fairly cheap wah(dunlop comes to mind esspecially good for modding)

John Frusciante here I coume
i love frusciante tons, but why does everyone always try to get someone elses exact playing style? You are not john fru, so you cant play like him because you dont think like him! you could buy his exact same equipment, and you still wouldnt be john fru, so play with your own damn style!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
^Ok, if thats directed towards the threadstarter your gone way off course! All he wants to know is how to get the tone, not the playin style! And theirs no harm is someone trying to master ones style, let them at it if they wanna do that. I would give anything to be able to even improv like him.. Which I try.. but I dont want anyone telling me "Im not John Frusciante" when I know.
Quote by False_God
John Frusciante here I coume

hope that helped it was a rough guide to getting close to his sound with certain budgets in mind i hope it helped u reach your goal.

Quote by R_H_C_P

yeah small for john for us mere mortals it was big he is one lucky bugger his sunburst strat is so sexy and chads hair is back instead of shaved like it was a few months ago, we used to be hair twins but he cut it now its grown back but i had mine cut short befor i managed to see the brits so now we dont have the same hair
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Feb 15, 2007,