is the locking tremelo just the one that instead of hanging losely, is in an upright position?
a locking tremolo keeps your guitar in tune better than a standard tremolo
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by AceOfBlades
oooh yeh, whats a double locking trem???

it just has a second lock at the bridge nut
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Regular tremolo - Nomal ones you see on strats. Doesnt have as much range as a Floyd Rose, ex=vintage, synchronized

Single locking - Practically the same as double locking but it only locks at the nut but not at the bridge, ex=TRS101,FastLoaderLFR

Double locking - Locks both at the bridge and the nut. More range then regular trems (Floyd Roses), ex=OFR,most LFR, EdgePro,Kahler
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by AceOfBlades
oooh yeh, whats a double locking trem???

Original single-locking Floyd Rose II (generally found on Kramer guitars):

Bridge rear closeup:

See the string ball ends ?
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by kaossurge
is the locking tremelo just the one that instead of hanging losely, is in an upright position?

A locking tremolo is a tremolo which requires you to have a goddamn allen wrench at hand to change strings, to loosen a string-locking clamp at the nut on the neck, near the headstock, and eventually more indivdial string locking screws at the bridge, compared to a non-locking gliding standard fender tremolo.
a locking trem is a trem you can actually use without the guitar going out of tune, unlike a non-locking gliding standard fender tremolo
Quote by kyrreca
a locking trem is a trem you can actually use without the guitar going out of tune, unlike a non-locking gliding standard fender tremolo

If it goes out of tune, it's either not properly set up, either mishandled.
Quote by ColdGin
If it goes out of tune, it's either not properly set up, either mishandled.

well, that's the thing with floyds, you can abuse them all you want
It's all just a matter of opinion, but I think some people need to slack of on the FR-hating. They are not that difficult to handle. Really.
Quote by kyrreca
well, that's the thing with floyds, you can abuse them all you want
It's all just a matter of opinion, but I think some people need to slack of on the FR-hating. They are not that difficult to handle. Really.

Hate ? Where ? And so what ? It's not as if someone was expressing hate of other people. If you feel ostracized, you've developed a wierd psychological identification with an assembly of cheap casted metal parts.
Quote by ColdGin
If you feel ostracized, you've developed a wierd psychological identification with an assembly of cheap casted metal parts.

I'd just like to take a moment to say:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! :stickpoke
Quote by ColdGin
Hate ? Where ? And so what ? It's not as if someone was expressing hate of other people. If you feel ostracized, you've developed a wierd psychological identification with an assembly of cheap casted metal parts.

relax, guy

it's just that everytime i see a thread about floyd roses, there's people going "Floyds are crap, it will take you two and a half weeks to change strings (and that's for each string!!!!)!!!!" "don't get a guitar with a locking trem, it's nothing but trouble!!!!" etc.

Last time I bought a new guitar, I wanted one with a locking trem, but I almost went for one with a fixed bridge because I'd heard so much crap about Floyds. I got the guitar with the locking trem anyways, and realized that most of what I'd been hearing was bullcrap.

Of course it has it's disadvantages, if it didn't, every guitar would come with one.
But hey, it's just a matter of opinion.
Quote by kyrreca
relax, guy
it's just that everytime i see a thread about floyd roses, there's people going "Floyds are crap, it will take you two and a half weeks to change strings (and that's for each string!!!!)!!!!" "don't get a guitar with a locking trem, it's nothing but trouble!!!!" etc.

I used to teach guitar in the 80's.

15 out of 20 beginner students came with brand new floyd rose trem equipped guitars. They kind of measured themselves by who had the biggest, baddest, blackest, heaviest trem.

19 out of 20 had no clue how to tune up , how the trem worked, even less how to set it up, they only knew you could dive bomb with it.

Eventually, the least a hungry musician could do, I ended up offering "divebombing soloing" and "setting up and playing the floyd rose tremolo" classes. Whenever some kid couldn't get his shit togther because the floyd was in the way or he was interested only in wanking the trem, I would tell them I would see them in the floyd trem classes before I would accept them again in guitar class again.

So the truth is I'm quite grateful for the Floyd Rose trem, it allowed me to earn a lot of easy money then in addition to harder guitar teaching.