Ya, I searched, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Pretty much, I need a new bass for about 300-400 bucks. I have a 6 string right now and I hate how big the neck is. I heard Ibanez was a good brand for that money, but I saw that epiphone goth thunderbird and really love how it looks. I need something comfortable, cuz I have pretty small fingers. Any advice?

Edit: something that isnt very heavy either. Also, I play mostly metal.
Last edited by super_duper at Feb 14, 2007,
dude, i would totally go for the thunderbird, if you can afford it. although i recently bought an Ibanez ICB four string and i really like it. ibanez is good, fast necks and good sound. quality craftmanship. a step up for me for sure. check them out if you get a chance
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
So, since the neck is too big, are you looking for a 5-string? A 4-string? Or just a 6-string with a smaller neck? I'm confused.
Quote by Bass Cat
ibanez is good, fast necks and good sound. quality craftmanship. a step up for me for sure. check them out if you get a chance
+1

And check out the Yamaha RBX37x, and Fender standard series if you want to stretch your budget a bit.
Quote by Hergiswi
So, since the neck is too big, are you looking for a 5-string? A 4-string? Or just a 6-string with a smaller neck? I'm confused.

I want a 4 string.
If you want something comfortable I would not recomend the Thunderbird. I find it really top heavy and the stap keeps popping out.
I've got an Ibanez EDB 400, and it's pretty damn good. Light, good neck size and hasn't done me wrong yet. So go for an Ibanez.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I've got an Ibanez EDB 400, and it's pretty damn good. Light, good neck size and hasn't done me wrong yet. So go for an Ibanez.

Gotta go with my fellow female bassist here. Get an Ibanez. I learned to play on an Epi and they are for the most part heavy and thick in the neck (great tone though). Ibanez are have nice slim necks, are light and the Active pups will give you a good tone for playing metal. They are great for someone with smaller hands.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

Do you think it would be a good bass to play metal?
Used Fender Aerodyne Jazz
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by super_duper

Pretty much any bass can play metal. They all cry afterwards, anyway.

But yes, the EDBs can get good metal tone, just boost the treble and thrash away.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
If you play a lot of metal, a five-string would be good to get. Any five string works, but the extra low string realy helps for metal.
The.
^ Save up and extra $100 and you're set (clicky)

Its a good bass for relatively little money. Schecters are always good for teh price. If you're willing to wait a little longer though, and save up a little extra, I'd say go for the Custom 5 (clicky) . Its got all the spiffy things added on to make it a bass that will take you a lot farther.

If you're just looking for a 4-string though, any of the Schecter Stiletto line is good, though the Elite is the best (and out of your price range). I'd say either get the Deluxe, or save a little for the Custom.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Have a look at some corts, really nice instruments despite their old reputation, they've picked up their act
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Ibanez and yamaha's are really good sounding basses for metal, and they suit various other genre's perfectly aswel. Quality basses for such cheap prices
Quote by super_duper

Yes it is.

i own one and im quite pleased with it
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Schecter I would say are probably your best option in that price range in my opinion, they are great value for money and play brilliantly.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!