Page 1 of 2
Hi. I'm moving from England to San Diego and don't know anything about american football.
Whats the difference between the AFC and NFC conferences? Is one better than the other or are they just to split the teams up?
Oh and are the San Diego Chasers any good?

Help appreciated : ) thanks
Afc is stronger. The Chargers are damn good. They went 14-2 during the regular season, but was one and done in the playoffs.
Chargers have the leagues MVP LT and they are a good team. Their coach just got fired though.

The NFC and AFC are just conferences basically. (someone will probably explain more depth about them)

People say the AFC is better than the NFC.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Dr. No
Chargers have the leagues MVP LT and they are a good team. Their coach just got fired though.

The NFC and AFC are just conferences basically. (someone will probably explain more depth about them)

People say the AFC is better than the NFC.

people say it because it's true.

the NFC was the original NFL. the AFC came about when a competing league in the 60s called the AFL (started by the late lamar hunt) decided to merge. the AFL was always better (ratings-wise) and had lots of innovations pro football might not otherwise have without it.

there were some other leagues like the USFL who accomplished nothing (except that they're the reason my beloved jacksonville jaguars exist!)
#DTWD
Quote by Curlyjon
Hi. I'm moving from England to San Diego and don't know anything about american football.
Whats the difference between the AFC and NFC conferences? Is one better than the other or are they just to split the teams up?

The NFL and the AFL used to be two seperate leagues that didn't play against each other exept the champion of each league would play in a title game, now called the Super Bowl. The two leagues merged in 1970 I think, and now play agianst each other in the regular season.

and, yes, the San Diego Chargers are quite good.
Member #11 of the "I Survived UG PWNED Day" Club

Member of the "I'm allowed to like the Dead Kennedys AND underOATH AND Public Enemy" Club

I am the Wrath Of God. The Earth I walk will see me and tremble.
Stick to European football...its better, despite me living in the united states...
(Yes I realize its "soccer" here...)
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
All you need to know is how to yell "DAAAA BEARS." Once you've mastered that you're set.
you telling me they dont do conferences and divisons in england sports? its the same idea, split team up based on location, like all sports
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
in england footballs not so much done on location but team skill
like the premiera division - division 1 - div 2- etc

though that is for the larger teams
thanks for the help!

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Teach them rugby Curlyjon!!!

I plan to

I just can't believe i got to be 21 before i can drink when everyone drinks at like 15 over here haha.
yeah, the conferences aren't based on team skill or anything. Just one big league. The Chargers are quite good.
Quote by primusfan
also, if you know absolutely nothing on american football, i'd suggest reading up on the history and strategy. it's gonna come in handy when all those californian stoners challenge you to madden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_strategy

Haha thanks man. I've been playing abit of madden with my mates on Ps2. Didn't understand a single thing
Quote by karlh07
All you need to know is how to yell "DAAAA BEARS." Once you've mastered that you're set.

I like where your heads at! (I'm from Chicago, a huge Dolphins fan, but live in Charlotte)

Anyways, dont listen to AFC vs NFC talk. They are NOW just 2 separate conferences which are each split into 4 divisions (North, South, East, West).

San Diego is a great team and went 14-2 last year but lost to the New England Patriots in the playoffs. The head coach (Marty Schottenheimer) just got fired this week, the Defensive Coordinator (Wade Phillips) just became the Dallas Cowboys new Head coach, and the Offensive Coordinator (Cam Cameron) became the Miami Dolphins head coach. So...you dont have any critical coaches as of today.

Other than that, the Chargers have a great defense and the best Runningback in the league. It will be easy to jump on the wagon next season because its always easier when you have a winning team. Now if you were moving to Detroit or Oakland, that would be another story.

Good choice in city!
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Quote by Curlyjon
Haha thanks man. I've been playing abit of madden with my mates on Ps2. Didn't understand a single thing

well not even i grasp all of it, it's a difficult game to totally master. but one simple word of adviec: on offense, never use play action. you'll just get sacked and end up 3rd and long and the fat kid you're playing will start talking mad trash as if he's ever gotten laid.
#DTWD
Quote by Curlyjon

I just can't believe i got to be 21 before i can drink when everyone drinks at like 15 over here haha.

don't be ****in naive

everybody drinks whenever they want
Bunch of guys wearing helmets have to dogpile on the guy who's got the ball. Or something.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Just remember to hate the Dallas Cowboys and their fans with a passion.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Mad Marius
Bunch of guys wearing helmets have to dogpile on the guy who's got the ball. Or something.

You've got the right idea.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
just deck out with as much seahawks stuff as you can possibly materialize and then you will know EVERYTHING about football... at least people will think you do.
I dont know...

Lets talk about the weather!

Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Wait, I had an idea other than killing and skull fucking? What's up with me today...
so you know, the Indianapolis Colts won the superbowl this year, which are also the greatest team to ever exist!
Quote by rockr09
so you know, the Indianapolis Colts won the superbowl this year, which are also the greatest team to ever exist!

And to threadstarter, you basically have four tries, called downs, to move 10 yards. If you can move the ball 10 yards, you get another first down. The general concept is to get the ball to the other team's end of the field, or endzone. A score is a touchdown, which scores 6 points. After the touchdown, the team is given the opportunity to try to kick the ball between the goalposts to score an extra point. They can also try to get the ball into the endzone again for 2, but that rarely happens. Also, if by your fourth down you haven't made it to the endzone, you can try to kick the ball into the goalposts for a field goal, worth three points, or you can punt the ball, just to try to give the other team a bad field position when they receive. Well that's the basic concepts, I suggest you Wiki it though.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
What he said above^ (im a brit who's addicted to american football and mourning the lack of it for the next 6 months)

If you've ever watched Rugby League... then you're half way there... Instead of 6 tackles to get from one end of the field to the other... you have 3 tries to try and go forward ten yards (generally to get past the yellow line you see on your tv screen)

Learn the following phrase off by heart if ever confronted by a hardcore San Diego Charger's fan... then find an excuse to quickly leave before follow up questions:

"Geez / Bloody Hell (delete as appropiate depending on whether you intend to keep your British accent or maybe even accentuate it to come across as quirky and cool)... Why would the Chargers let go of Wade Phillips if they knew they were going to fire Marty!"

Other useful phrases:

After San Diego score a passing touchdown: "I always knew they made the right decision letting Brees go"

After San Diego fail to score a touchdown: "I always knew letting Drew Brees go was a huge mistake"

After most plays: "What were the officials thinking?"

During advert breaks (get used to lots of them): "Wanna beer guys?"
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
Quote by primusfan
it's gonna come in handy when all those californian stoners challenge you to madden.

Umm I Take offense to that.

Hold on wait, I am a California Stoner
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by Curlyjon

jesus you lucky man, i made a thread a while back on how to get to america, because i really want to emmigrate, so whats your reason??
Quote by primusfan
people say it because it's true.

the NFC was the original NFL. the AFC came about when a competing league in the 60s called the AFL (started by the late lamar hunt) decided to merge. the AFL was always better (ratings-wise) and had lots of innovations pro football might not otherwise have without it.

there were some other leagues like the USFL who accomplished nothing (except that they're the reason my beloved jacksonville jaguars exist!)

Yea, the AFC was kick started by Hollywood Joe Namath. The AFC wouldn't have all the ratings and such without him.

And American Football is pretty great, a little less rough than rugby, but more strategy and contact than Football (soccer, but meh, you know it was soccer).

It can take a while to get used to the penalties and to start argueing calls like every good sports fan does, but it's a great sport. Lots of glory, and pride.

It's not the nation's pasttime (baseball is....take that NFL... ), but it's a damn fine game to watch, and play, but I don't play contact.....

[/pussy]

Quote by Soul Power
Just remember to hate the Dallas Cowboys and their fans with a passion.

Redskins fan?

Bastard.....

I can't hate you for that, I'm too caring.

Cowboys are one of my favorites. I haven't been watching NFL long enough to have a clear favorite, seeing my hometown team is the Falcons. *shudders*.

I'm more of a college fan myself.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by Curlyjon

AFC is the American football conferance,NFC is National football Conferance. The Indianapolis Colts(AFC) won the Super Bowl agaist the Chicago Bears(NFC). AFC and NFC divide the teams up. AFC is the stronger conferance currently. COLTS RULE! San Dieago Chargers is what you mean, they're ok. They lost to the New England Patriots in the playoffs. The playoffs are for the best teams in each conferance. AFC teams only play AFC in the playoffs. NFC plays inside their conferance only. Then, the champions of each conferance play each other in the Super Bowl. A touchdown=6 points. An extra point=1. You can only get that after a touchdown.A touchdown is when one team gets the football into the other teams end zone. The extra point is kicking the ball through the goal posts. A two point conversion is running the football into the endzone again instead of an extra point. A field goal is 3 points. That's kick ing it through the other teams goal posts without scoring a touch down. You have 4 downs with the ball. every 10 yards is another first down, unless you have penalties. You usually punt if you're on the fourth down. A punt is when you kick it to the other team. The line of scrimmage is the line between the two teams at the beginning of the play. A sack is when the quarterbck is tackled behind the line of scrimage.
Quote by karlh07

DAAAAA Bears SUCK! They were easier to beat than the Patriots. Please don't listen to karlh07 he's retarded. Rex Grossman sucks! GO COLTS! I've been a Colts fan all my life because I live in Bloomington, IN even though Rex Suckcockman is from here. He's the biggest disgrace to Bloomington and th Bears and NFC and the Super Bowl because of how bad he is.
Quote by fallenangel20

Redskins fan?

Bastard.....

I can't hate you for that, I'm too caring.

Cowboys are one of my favorites. I haven't been watching NFL long enough to have a clear favorite, seeing my hometown team is the Falcons. *shudders*.

I'm more of a college fan myself.

Hell no. Rams fo' life!
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by RobbieMac2002

Other useful phrases:

After San Diego score a passing touchdown: "I always knew they made the right decision letting Brees go"

After San Diego fail to score a touchdown: "I always knew letting Drew Brees go was a huge mistake"

After most plays: "What were the officials thinking?"

During advert breaks (get used to lots of them): "Wanna beer guys?"

And, after your team goes for it on fourth and 10 on the opponent's 30- in the first half in the playoffs: That's my coach Marty!
Seriously, the man's decision making is nearly as bad as mike martz's when the game is on the line.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by trueyoungpunk
DAAAAA Bears SUCK! They were easier to beat than the Patriots. Please don't listen to karlh07 he's retarded. Rex Grossman sucks! GO COLTS! I've been a Colts fan all my life because I live in Bloomington, IN even though Rex Suckcockman is from here. He's the biggest disgrace to Bloomington and th Bears and NFC and the Super Bowl because of how bad he is.

i know the bears defense was playing just average in miami, and i know they say you can't pinpoint a loss to one member of the team. rex grossman defies this. he's absolutely terrible and lost them the game. he blew an early lead and even then (literally) threw away their chance to regain the lead. from there it went way downhill. you're a fool though if you say devin hester isn't the blackest man alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzmm9J8eUY

i'm not even a bears fan ( a jaguars fan, so i have a vested interest in seeing the colts lose ) but i'll be damned if i wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs when that happened. my friends and i made a fucking circle pit in the living room screaming and running into each other. i've never seen something so amazing. except the 108½ yard return he made on MNF.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
i know the bears defense was playing just average in miami, and i know they say you can't pinpoint a loss to one member of the team. rex grossman defies this. he's absolutely terrible and lost them the game. he blew an early lead and even then (literally) threw away their chance to regain the lead. from there it went way downhill. you're a fool though if you say devin hester isn't the blackest man alive.

..Yea, but what about the playing calling? That was more shit than Rex. First off, not blitzing Manning. Second off, on offense, why have Rex throw the ball at all when Jones was ripping off big runs?
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Just remember to make fun of Peyton Manning's forehead every chance you get, it'll make you look cool to Colts haters.

And NCAA football owns the NFL. So much more heart and passion. Watching games takes me right back to fall when I'm in my own football pads.
Page 1 of 2