Have a Hot Rod Deluxe and I want a good overdrive with a decent amount of gain. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Visual sounds Jekyll and Hyde or the EHX English Muff'n. I want an overdrive with a smoothe sweet mid range but with plenty of gain. I don't play metal AT ALL. So look at this as someone who is going to need an over the top overdriven sound. My main influences are David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, and John Frusciante.
the EHX is distortion. The VS is both, but i dont like it.

i use a fender amp with a TS808 and i love it. (blues junior, similar to your hot rod deluxe)

srry. no its not. idk. i think out of those the EHX.
Id also like to know, as I need a new overdrive.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Don't buy the English Muff'n. It isn't really good on tube amps and its more for SS amps. The Jekyll & Hyde will be better.
Sent from my iPad.
Vox dude.... Check out the Vox cooltron series. They have some really good pedals. I have the Big Ben and I couldnt be happier. But they also have the Brit Boost, Bulldog, the Dual, and the Top End Boost. All of them are good. But its all about your preference at that point. They are pretty expensive. But they have a tube built in that runs cold so it still clips, but doesnt take time to warm up. It basically puts another tube in your line....check them out.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
I hear great things about the J&H, not so much about the English Muff'n (and I love EHX products, I think I have five of 'em at last count!). I had a vintage Hot Tubes back when it wasn't even vintage -loved it!- but I don't know if the new ones do it justice. When it came time for me to get a new overdrive, I went with the TS-808.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Try out A LOT of OD pedals, I think it's all personal taste what people like.
If you've got the money, boutique OD's are great.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
What about the Coffin Case Blood Drive? the name sounds hard core but it is really nice for the stuff you mentiond. With the gain around 5 you get a crisp,smooth overdrive. with the gain at ten you can get either a badass distortion tone, or a fuzzy tone, depends on how you EQ your amp.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/Coffin-Case-Blood-Drive.html
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
I've heard great stuff about the English Muff'n, and some good soundclips too. I'm pretty set on getting one for bass when I have the cash.

You're probably after a standard TS clone though. Have you tried the TS808, Boss SD-1 etc?
Quote by smb
I've heard great stuff about the English Muff'n, and some good soundclips too. I'm pretty set on getting one for bass when I have the cash.

You're probably after a standard TS clone though. Have you tried the TS808, Boss SD-1 etc?

I don't know if they have enough gain for me.