hey i've searched the forums but couldn't find anything.....so im curious and want to create that really beat up worn look on a guitar. like john mayers strat or john frusciantes. how would one go about doing that

thanks
epy
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Umm, you could sand some parts down a little. Otherwise, you could just own it for a long time until it gets that natural worn look.

If you want to get stuff like cigarette burns and stuff, hold up a lighter to the body. and chip off some of the paint, but don't make it obvious you did it.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150

If you want to get stuff like cigarette burns and stuff, hold up a lighter to the body.

If you want cigarette burns, why not just burn your guitar with an auctual cigarette?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
If you want cigarette burns, why not just burn your guitar with an auctual cigarette?

lol k thanks
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
^you stole my post.
ah well, great minds think alike
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

The only way to get true wear IMO would be to tape sand paper to your arm and chest etc. and play the guitar for a while so it wears the wood in the right places. Wear a massive belt buckle too that'll give it some buckle rash. Give it some chips and dings, especially along the bottom edge. If it has a maple board, try and give that an aged look. I love the look of aged maple boards. My RG550's board has finish missing off it in quite a lot of places, and I like the way it looks.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I used to throw shoes at my old SG copy (shut up i was a kid then...)

Gave me lots of dings and scratches, even broke off a tuning peg once, having an odd tuning peg made it look 100times better =D
Hit the body with a bunch of keys, that works well.

Or use wire wool to dull down the finish in some places.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
just throw it about really. if its a bolt on neck, take the neck off and hang it up to throw things at it like nuts bolts and just random crap. If you have a car and a dirt road somewhere near. Tie rope through one of the holes that bolts the neck on and drag it through a dirt road slowly or fast depending how strong the rope and your knots are. I know people who have done this before and it really makes it look clapped out. TAKE ALL THE HARDWARE OFF BEFORE!

speaking of hardware.. take that off and place it in a tub of somekind with Water, Salt, Viniger, coffee and lots soy sauce. leave for a while and that will make the plastic hardware look like its been used for years. It also helps add rust to the metal parts like the bridge and what not.

Dont use sand paper as it looks fake.

PSN ID: ArranP
Last edited by apmaman at Feb 15, 2007,
^seconded but soy sauce smells funny. i like the part about dragging it behing a car
btw it's called a 'relic' or 'relicing'
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by mrperson
^seconded but soy sauce smells funny. i like the part about dragging it behing a car

yea the soy sauce is a bit nasty. Keep it in wrapped up in clingfilm. Duno what its called where you are but that see through plastic stuff that wraps up food. cover the lid of the container if its not got on and no smell will get out. Until you open it

PSN ID: ArranP