whenever i go to record a vocal track, it records the vocals AND the previous track (in the same track). I have headphones plugged in, so the mic isnt picking up the sound from the speakers. Why does it do this?
i dont know why, but i have audacity as well. try unplugging the headphones and turning the speakers down some and moving farther away from the speakers i think maybe you have two inputs set up. both microphone and headphones. check out the inputs listed

make sure you don't have the 'stereo mix' butten checked. make sure you DO have the
'line in' or the 'mic' checked.

the 'stereo mix' will record anything you pc hears including tracks being played back during recording.
hey i have a question with audacity as well, how can i correct the latency, iknow there is a thing in the prefences that says latency corection but is there any way to test how bad the latency really is?? I'm using a line6 toneport to connect my guitar into my comp. I had the same problem with just a regular microphone as well
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
nice one hetjr

Any advice you have on how to record distortion without it getting all muddy and sounding like a bunch of jumbled up noise?
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
nice one hetjr

Any advice you have on how to record distortion without it getting all muddy and sounding like a bunch of jumbled up noise?

how are you recording it now??
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
Quote by muffinman123192
Guitar ---> (sometimes a pedal, depending on what kind of distortion I want) ---> Amp ---> PC

try micing the amp, thats what i've done on alot of my bands demos and it comes out good
Quote by muffinman123192
ohh nice one

1000 points to you my friend. thank you.

you have to have a good mic though thats the only catch
get a cheap eq pedal. i got a 6 band rocktek for like less than 20 bucks. my chain is digitech rp50 > 15 watt practice amp out the headphone jack > EQ > line in on the soundcard on my pc.

you can hear my sound at www.myspace.com/hetjr and www.soundclick.com/robthorne

feel free to add me as pal if you'd like. also, i started a group called League of Independent New Jersey Musicians on myspace. join if you'd like. all are welcome.
some one help me with the latency quesiton i asked ac ouple posts ago
What problem are you having though? You say you want to test how bad the latency is, as if you don't notice any latency. If that's true, what's the problem?
the latency is jsut bad but i decided i wasjut going to cut and paste blank space to fix it i have a new problem now my mic doesn't produce sound through my toneport, i havea shure beta58A i guess i need one with phantom power??
No, I don't think you understand what phantom power is, and you don't need it for anything here.

How are you connecting your mic to your toneport? I didn't think the toneport had an XLR in, so you're probably going to need a transformer that comes as an adapter, to match the impedance, otherwise your signal will be weak. Perhaps that's why you're not hearing it?

Ok, cutting and pasting to fix your latency is going to get old, I'd just fix it right. I have Audacity as it turns out, but I don't know where you're finding this "Latency Correction". I typically use Cakewalk and it has a Latency slider so you can adjust the buffer size and number of buffers for the playback queue. I would think Audacity would have at least a slider for the size. If that's the case, just adjust it through trial and error.
the tone port hs the right connection, i not just hearing anything but nothing is regestiring at all in audacity, thanks for the latnecy help.
Well, it's pretty clear you're not going to listen and take the time to understand audio processing and software. So, I'll leave you to it. Good luck.
Quote by ParanoiaMusic
Well, it's pretty clear you're not going to listen and take the time to understand audio processing and software. So, I'll leave you to it. Good luck.

i'm pretty sure thats the connection you are suppose to use, why are you getting ticked at me, your latency knowledge helped, and just because your advice for the mic didn't work doesn't mean i'm not taking your advice. look for yourself.
Yeah, that's probably the connection. But understand where I'm coming from...you made a post that sounded incredibly green. So, I ask a question about how you have it connected and you answer back that it has the right connection. How do I know that you know what the right connection is? You just asked a question about phantom power that made no sense, so I can only assume you're new at this. That's cool, I love helping new people, but answer the question correctly or else you're going to drag out a simple task and waste everybody's time.

See, this stuff can get technical. I've had people insist they had stuff setup "correct" only to find out - days later of course - that they were using a mono cable instead of a stereo cable, which cancelled out the sound or etc... They didn't know it would make a difference, so they just answered my question like "yeah, it's all correct". That's just an example.

That's why I don't ask, is it hooked up right. I never ask that. I ask how it's hooked up.

So, anyway, I wasnt ticked at all. I just didn't want to post back and forth for a week just to find out you were trying to plug your mic into the MIDI input...
Quote by ParanoiaMusic
Yeah, that's probably the connection. But understand where I'm coming from...you made a post that sounded incredibly green. So, I ask a question about how you have it connected and you answer back that it has the right connection. How do I know that you know what the right connection is? You just asked a question about phantom power that made no sense, so I can only assume you're new at this. That's cool, I love helping new people, but answer the question correctly or else you're going to drag out a simple task and waste everybody's time.

See, this stuff can get technical. I've had people insist they had stuff setup "correct" only to find out - days later of course - that they were using a mono cable instead of a stereo cable, which cancelled out the sound or etc... They didn't know it would make a difference, so they just answered my question like "yeah, it's all correct". That's just an example.

That's why I don't ask, is it hooked up right. I never ask that. I ask how it's hooked up.

So, anyway, I wasnt ticked at all. I just didn't want to post back and forth for a week just to find out you were trying to plug your mic into the MIDI input...

yeah i under stand where you are coming from, i mis read your post when i answered your question, i'm not new to music but new to recording, but yeah i have just have my mic hooked up through what i thought was the mic input, which it is, i'm guessing the chords are old, i'm going to go out and buy another mic cord tonight, it records my guitar sound great so i'm anxoius to see what it will do with vocals and or an acoustic mic'd.