Page 1 of 2
Any big prog fans out there?? if so name some of the band you like.
Look at my sig
hm...im a big fan of Tool. Opeth and Yes are also cool, but i dunno, would Floyd be considered prog? i consider them more psychadelic rock, or something along those lines. but ya, Pink Floyd is amazing, i think that Roger Waters is a genius.
to add to your list...

Dream Theater
Symphony X
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Queensryche
Devin Townsend Band
Jethro Tull
Vanden Plas
Rush
Dixie Dregs
Mars Volta
OSI
Liquid Tension Experiment
The Jelly Jam
Caravan
Frank Zappa
Kraftwerk
Asia
Gong
Kings X
Allan Parson's Project

...you've got a long way to go!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I've seen him post, he doesn't just know the bands in his sig.

And I like older prog, some of the new stuff is interesting but it's not always my thing. Loads of technical metal proggy stuff, and while I like some of it I sometimes prefer subtler, more folky prog.

I'm sure it's out there, I just haven't found it yet.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
new prog exists that isnt metal.

check The Flower Kings, The Moody Blues or Dixie Dregs
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'm more of a fan of the older prog as well. Some stuff these days I simply cannot listen to. The main Prog bands that i like are Umphrey's Mcgee and the Dixie Dregs.
Last edited by hamacker at Feb 14, 2007,
Rush

-Axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
As psychedelia said, I know alot more prog bands then those in my sig :S but they are my favorites.I like KC, genesis(gabriel-era),ELP,Mars Volta,Jethro Tull,Frank Zappa, and others but I still have alot that i need to listen to.
My personal favorite prog bands are Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kamelot (sometimes prog), as well as a couple others.
I have nothing to put in here.
My favourites are Genesis, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Alan Parsons Project, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, Symphony X, and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Plus the greatest prog band of allllllll.................................... Renaissance!
http://www.myspace.com/renaissance7377
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Can any1 recommend me some good Dream Theater songs/albums to listen to?
Quote by PTfan
Can any1 recommend me some good Dream Theater songs/albums to listen to?

Albums:
Awake
When Dream and Day Unite
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Train of Thought

Songs:
Octavarium
The Glass Prison
Erotomania
Voices
As I Am
Overture 1928
The Dance of Eternity
Finally Free
Scarred
Another Day
Metropolis - Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
The Ytse Jam
The Killing Hand

Bolded for awesomeness!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

No problem.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by maXterbat0r
Awake, I got it for $10 and it's full of good songs.

Awake has only like three or four memorable songs, everything else is poor. Actually, most of DT's early albums are pretty mediocre. But I still enjoy Train of Thought, Images and Words, and Metropolis pt.2.

I'm a fan of older prog and I like King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull (Thick as a Brick is one of my favorite prog albums ever), and Camel.

As for Rush, I know they are good instrumentally, but the only song I like is YYZ and the beginning of 2112. All their other songs are good but I don't like them really.
omg omg omg no one mentioned PLANET X, vitalij kuprij and greg howe have some prog elements in tahir music, virgil donattis serious young insects is great prog album, hiromi uehara great keyboard-piano musicianist or what ever the word for a female musician is
Quote by BravoSector
Awake has only like three or four memorable songs, everything else is poor. Actually, most of DT's early albums are pretty mediocre.

Bullshit.

I've been getting into Neal Morse's solo stuff lately... it's really great if you don't mind the religious lyrics.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Quote by PooKoo
Blah i can't stand most of dt's new stuff.
Get scenes from a memory, best cd by far imo.

Neither can I... at least I thought Octavarium was really bad. As was When Dream... Metropolis Pt 2 is my favorite followed by........ Train of Thought perhaps.
I have nothing to put in here.
Rush, The Mars Volta, and Symphony X and my favorites.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Quote by Righteous
Neither can I... at least I thought Octavarium was really bad. As was When Dream... Metropolis Pt 2 is my favorite followed by........ Train of Thought perhaps.

The only good song on Octavarium was...well Octavarium! The rest was rather boring and uninspired.
Quote by shattamakar

Gentle Giant is a really good band.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Anything from Jethro Tull to Opeth to Marillion to Camel to Van Der Graaf Generator to Cosmosquad to Dixie Dregs to Gong to Kansas to Karizma to Yes to Soft Machine to Uncle Moe's Space Ranch to... Well, lets just say prog can be pretty fun.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Tool, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Queensryche, Sum 41, Pink Floyd.

Prog is by far my favourite genre, especially prog metal. This is a great thread, I will look into some of these bands!

Oh, and I was kidding with Sum 41, obviously.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Resiliance
Anything from Jethro Tull to Opeth to Marillion to Camel to Van Der Graaf Generator to Cosmosquad to Dixie Dregs to Gong to Kansas to Karizma to Yes to Soft Machine to Uncle Moe's Space Ranch to... Well, lets just say prog can be pretty fun.

+1 to that
Does anyone here like Umphrey's Mcgee? They are relatively unknown but I'd say their worth taking a look at.
Quote by maXterbat0r
Awake, I got it for $10 and it's full of good songs.

haha, I got for $5 bucks which only increased its awesomeness
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Tool, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Queensryche, sum 41 , Pink Floyd.

Prog is by far my favourite genre, especially prog metal. This is a great thread, I will look into some of these bands!

Oh, and I was kidding with Sum 41, obviously.

Quote by BravoSector
Awake has only like three or four memorable songs, everything else is poor. Actually, most of DT's early albums are pretty mediocre. But I still enjoy Train of Thought, Images and Words, and Metropolis pt.2.

I think Awake is possibly their strongest album.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I think Awake is possibly their strongest album.

I think possibly yes. I suppose it all comes down to what aspect of Dream Theater you like the most. Personally, it's my favourite
Quote by shattamakar

Page 1 of 2