Hey. ive been playing for well over a year now and i was wondering what methods melodic death metal players use. i think they use arpegios and scales but i wanna know exactly what they use and maybe some examples? ty
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
A LOT of alternate picking, and sweeping. Lots. And just ask if you need any Melo Death bands to listen to, i got you dood
k im stuck on sweeping right now tis kinda hard but alternate picking is when u go up and down and up again right? and my fav melo death metal band is cob. what r sum other good bands?

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by deathmetalboy
k im stuck on sweeping right now tis kinda hard but alternate picking is when u go up and down and up again right? and my fav melo death metal band is cob. what r sum other good bands?

You should try Insomnium, Amon Amarth, God Dethroned, and Fragments of Unbecoming.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
i like insomnium mortal share is sick but anyway what songs from amon amarth are good for melo stuff cos the stuff ive heard from em isnt melo

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

look up some minor scales, throw in some flatted 5ths, and use a lot of melodic tremolo picking.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by deathmetalboy
i like insomnium mortal share is sick but anyway what songs from amon amarth are good for melo stuff cos the stuff ive heard from em isnt melo

Lol.. You obviously don't know much about death metal if you think Amon Amarth isn't melodic.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

... ive only heard one song, and it was like 30 seconds of one.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
The key word in melodic death metal is melodic. Try writing riffs that have a melody rather than riffs that are primarily heavy in nature.

A common thing to do is create a counter point (two or more layered melodies, if I remember correctly). This can make instrumental sections really interesting.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
If u like CoB, have a look at the natrual minor scale(mostly used on the two first albums).
you dont necessarily need to know how to sweep pick to play melo death. for the solos maybe, but who ever said you have to learn the exact solos
Newer CoB makes uses a lot of diminished stuff. Most melodeath uses minor scales (usually natural, sometimes harmonic and melodic). Also, harmonizing is very common, usually at the 3rd.

If you like CoB, you should check out Kalmah and Skyfire. For good melodeath in general, check out Dark Tranquillity, Mors Principium Est, pre-Reroute to Remain In Flames, Arch Enemy, and At The Gates.

For good Amon Amarth songs, check out Fate of Norns, Arson, Gods of War Arise, Cry of the Blackbirds, Down the Slopes of Death, The Beheading of a King, Death in Fire, The Pursuit of Vikings, Where Death Seems to Dwell, and Hermod's Ride to Hel.