Page 1 of 2
Which wave is your favorite?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
first wave: toots and the maytals, the skatalites, the heptones, the ethiopians, desmond dekker, and prince buster are the popular ones. there are many more worth getting into if you like any of these styles.

second wave: the specials and madness are the only ones i really love, some other popular ones include the selector and the english beat, but they can get pretty boring.

3rd wave and ska punk: reel big fish, west bound train, the aggrolites, operation ivy, streetlight manifesto, the slackers, monkey, the mad caddies and the toasters are all awesome. there are so many 3rd wave bands, and they are much more varied than either of the other two waves so just check around. alot of 3rd wave and ska punk is extremely boring however... ie. westbound train and mustard plug.
Last edited by freedumb at Feb 15, 2007,
first wave: toots and maytals, prince buster, the wailers, um... there is more....

second wave: The specials, the english beat and the madness

third wave: streetlight manifesto, operation ivy, and bomb the music industry (do they count?)

ska-core: get no cash or choking victim. evil empire is also a good band. most suck though so choose carefully. the vocals also take time to get used to.

here are some bands.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
k...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

^good list... for ska core i'd also include voodoo glow skulls. ska core is very trendy though, and also can get boring. it seems to be kind of for the non conformist HxC kids who are too hXc and non conformist to only like hxc.
- REEL BIG FISH DAMMIT - simply the best - songs: sellout, beer, take on me (cover), ban the tube top, where have you been - just a few of their classics
Quote by freedumb
^good list... for ska core i'd also include voodoo glow skulls. ska core is very trendy though, and also can get boring. it seems to be kind of for the non conformist HxC kids who are too hXc and non conformist to only like hxc.

true dat boo.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

^don't listen to those...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mike2
^don't listen to those...
Yeah Less than Jake Sucks and so does Goldfinger
i forgot about the toasters...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

most people seem to like 3rd wave when they first get into ska, so here's some that i've been diggin' lately: daycare swindlers, keepin'6, murphy's kids, spunge, Infamous Jake and The Pinstripe Mafia, and jackmove
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
tokyo ska paradise orchestra
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
^eh... lost respect for them when my little brother informed me that they played with these like...cartoon network japenese cartoon girls..puffy amie some shit...idk...but it's like not a japenese cartoon, like anime, it's american...idk...lost respect though man; well, the cartoon people are real life like popular artists in japan...idk...maybe someone else knows what i am talking about?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

There's this really good band from Long Island called Blame It On Austin or something like that...

For real, though, check out everyone on Ska Wars, freedumb. and mike2's lists.
Quote by hardrock1315
There's this really good band from Long Island called Blame It On Austin or something like that...

For real, though, check out everyone on Ska Wars, freedumb. and mike2's lists.

ya got any new songs up, by any chance?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mitchrushton182
Less than jake and Goldfinger are my favorites

Goldfinger - self titled and Hang Ups

Less Than Jake - Anything before and including Hello Rockview.

Approach those two bands with caution. Other than that, I agree with all of the other recommendations and also want to include Hepcat, some Fishbone, Spring Heeled Jack, Suburban Legends, The Forces of Evil, Fandangle, Capdown (ska-core), The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and select songs from Sublime and Long Beach Dub Allstars.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Early Smash Mouth are really good third wave ska. They're pretty much shit now but I still buy their new albums because I'm sentimental like that.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Skoidats, No Service Project, Skankin Pickle, Bad Manners, Suicide Machines, Pietasters, Spring Heeled Jack, The Spitvalves, Mu330, The Gadjits, Forces of Evil, The Porkers, Symarip, Bugsy Malone, Phenomanauts, Morning Glory

thats about all i can think of that havent been mentioned
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Quote by mike2
ya got any new songs up, by any chance?

Nah, but we just made some money off the last show, so we're probably gonna use that to get some better recordings.
Quote by stagasarus8
Phenomanauts

the phenomenauts are in no way, shape or form ska

some bands to check out: the slackers, the specials, prince buster, laurel aitken, desmond dekker and operation ivy
Quote by walkinbazooka
Early Smash Mouth are really good third wave ska. They're pretty much shit now but I still buy their new albums because I'm sentimental like that.

seriously? where they like fully ska (i mean like, did they have more than one ska song on a cd)? if so, which cd(s)?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by mike2
^eh... lost respect for them when my little brother informed me that they played with these like...cartoon network japenese cartoon girls..puffy amie some shit...idk...but it's like not a japenese cartoon, like anime, it's american...idk...lost respect though man; well, the cartoon people are real life like popular artists in japan...idk...maybe someone else knows what i am talking about?

i think that makes me respect them more
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
The Pietasters, The Planet Smashers, The Aggrolites, the Heptones, Jimmy Cliff, Lee Perry, Toots and the Maytals, Symarip, Derrick Morgan, Prince Buster...

Aww hell they've probably all been mentioned by now anyway...
the aquabats suck...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

you guys have that crack rock steady beat going on...which isn't bad...just over done...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Just felt the need to add Rx Bandits to this thread. And whilst we're at it, some Link 80 (now split up I believe?)
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by Prince
the phenomenauts are in no way, shape or form ska

ohh i thought they were i havent listen to them yet i think i might have mixed them up with the planet smashers
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Page 1 of 2