I was looking at these basses:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RBX375-5String-Bass?sku=519039X

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RBX374-4String-Bass?sku=519038

For a starter, as compaired to an epiphone thunderbird or a squier jazz bass. (afinity, alder)
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
you know, i looked at those basses originally when i was in the market for a new bass a few months ago but i decided against it. i found the ones that i tried out to be rather heavy. i instead went with the Ibanez ICB iceman and it has served me well. personally, i would go with the thunderbird.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
From what I gather, they are both the same model, except 1 is 4-string and the other is a 5-string. I'd go with the 5-string; it's a better deal, and the 5th string doesn't hurt.

A lot of famous people use Yamaha basses. John Myung and Billy Sheehan do if you are a virtuoso fan, and Abe Laboriel does if you're a slap fan.

Micheal Anthony uses Yamaha too, but we shouldn't hold that against them.

They make some decent basses at a good price.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Bass Cat
you know, i looked at those basses originally when i was in the market for a new bass a few months ago but i decided against it. i found the ones that i tried out to be rather heavy. i instead went with the Ibanez ICB iceman and it has served me well. personally, i would go with the thunderbird.

Its not the weight that buggs me. I've played them and they feel good. MY thing is the electronics, abeucase im a gutiarist I've no real ear for bass tone yet...

Yamaha make nice basses. I was looking to get the RBX374 for christmas, but, thanks to boxing week sales, I got an Ibanez SR500 instead.
If a bass is too heavy, get a proper bass strap. 2" straps are for guitar players.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If a bass is too heavy, get a proper bass strap. 2" straps are for guitar players.

Haha, I have a guitar strap wider then my hand, so thats no worry for me.

i have a yamaha bass. rbx200. its pretty sweet. it hasnt given be any problems sounds good and stays in tune for a while.
Quote by zekk
Haha, I have a guitar strap wider then my hand, so thats no worry for me.

Good. My Precision bass is at least 13lbs and was unbearable with a 2" strap. With my Planet Waves Padded Comfort Strap, I barely notice that it's on.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Those Yamaha basses are great. Nice feel on the neck, and good tone from the pickups.

The T-bird is very subjective - you either love it or hate it, mostly due to the stupid neck/headstock problem.
I have an Epiphone Mandobird VIII and I have no neck-dive problems whatsoever. Finding strings for that thing just isn't possible, though.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I have also been looking at the RBX374. Is it good for people that are intermediate to experienced?

Oh and how are they for metal/rock styles of playing?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
My first bass was a Yamaha RBX170 and its a great bass! I tried the 4 string version of the ones you are looking at and it played very well.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I have a Yamaha RBX360 that I got used at a local music shop and I couldn't be happier with it. It has a small body thats great for sit-down playing and a deep cutaway so you can reach those high frets. Great all around bass.
Ahh the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are cops!!
I have an RBX374 and it is ****ing beautiful. SO much better than any Fender IMO

I've had no problems at all with it over the 2 years I have had it, and it plays most styles really well. Love it
I like yamaha RBX775. so beutiful bass. monorel tremolo,neck wow
Id go for the four stringer
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't john myungs bass a 6 string version of this yamaha
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't john myungs bass a 6 string version of this yamaha

Yep
Rhythm Harmony Melody
yeah and doesnt myungs bass have a Duncan pickup? yeah the 374, i love their BB3000 bass though...kick ass piece of wood
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.