Yeah, I have 2questions about bass.
1. Does it really matter if you pluck or use a pick? i mean, is there an advantage somewhere.Alright
2. Does it really matter, lets just assume your playing bass with a pick. Does it really matter if you play right near the fretboard or near the humbuckers or near the ahh damn whats its name. Well, anyway, does it matter where you pick?
The bridge?

Yes it does.

Playing near the neck offers more of a Double Bass "thud", aswell as it is thicker. Playing near the bridge gives it more upper mids and treble. Good if you want a sound that stands ourt more.

Playing with your fingers and playing with a pic is insanely different. It is like trying to compare classical jazz to nirvana. You really have to play both styles to make a choice.

Sound wise though, pics give a harder attack and more of a click. Fingers give a softer, thicker sound Calssicly. However it is possable to emulate the soudn of a pic using fingers. But it is really hard on your fingers.

Oh and also, you can also play Slap and Popping styles wich are a variation of finger playing. But it really is up to you.
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Feb 14, 2007,
1. I don't think so, but I know that picking tends to be common in punk rock. I think it gives a more treble-ish sound or something.

2. Picking will work no matter where you pick, so you can just find a spot that's comfortable for you. However, I don't pick at bass, so if somebody else knows of some picking technique, feel free to correct me. =P

EDIT. Damn, already corrected. =P Anyway, listen to Fast Bear. He's probably smarter than I am.
He about nailed it on that. Part of it too though is personal preference and style. I play metal bass and I generally use a pick because it's VERY hard to do a gallop or chug *Whatever you choose to call it* with your fingers unless you're John Myung. But if you're playing a ballad or something where you need that super nice round tone, finger is probably preferable. Also the sound does change depending on where you play, so find a spot you like, and play there. easy as that!
Wow...

1) Anyway, I use a pick all the time, but many purists out there hate it. A pick gives you a brighter, snappier, clickier sound with a quicker attack. Playing with your fingers gives more of a bassy, round, warm sound. It's all a matter of taste, but most good players can play with a pick and with their fingers. However, playing with a pick gives the stigma of a failed guitarist.

I use a pick because I have very big hands, and when I pluck, the note goes dead for a bit too long. My fingers aren't nearly as fast as my picking (although my picking is incredibly fast) as well. Also, I really love the sound of a bass picked near the neck, and I don't like the round sound of fingers all that much (i.e. John Myung).

2. Does it matter if you pick near the neck or near the bridge? YES!!!! Near the neck the tension is looser, the notes are more bassy and round. Near the bridge, the strings are very tight, it's much more twangy, and you get much less bass. It is very VERY important to pay attention to where you pick. I think it's one of the most important things.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
1) I hate using picks. I don't care if anyone else uses them, its their choice, but in most all cases i think that plucking helps the tone immensly.

2) I don't know.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
If you play with a pick, non-pickers will make fun of you. If you play wihtout a pick, pickers will make fun of you. Keep that in mind, it's true for any style ever. Someone will disagree with your (non)picking, and will give you hell for it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by cbursley346924
He about nailed it on that. Part of it too though is personal preference and style. I play metal bass and I generally use a pick because it's VERY hard to do a gallop or chug *Whatever you choose to call it* with your fingers unless you're John Myung. But if you're playing a ballad or something where you need that super nice round tone, finger is probably preferable. Also the sound does change depending on where you play, so find a spot you like, and play there. easy as that!

It's not that hard to gallop with your fingers.

Anyways, it doesn't matter at all if you use a pick or not - sometimes the music/song would sound better with a pick. For example, I think Justin Chancellor's use of a pick contributes greatly to his tone, and therefore a fundamental part of Tool's sound.
I use a pick when i play punk and really whenever I feel a pick should be used but mainly I use my fingers. It's all down to personal preference and you will hear different things from different people.

And yes playing near the neck sounds more like a "thud" whereas by the bridge sounds more like a "twang" if that helps.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
1) i hate picks solely because wen i play with 1...i totally lose track of where i am as far as my right hand. fingers feel more flowing and fluid....1 easy motion.
but i do like the differences in tone.

2) not really sure...wenever i try to play with a pick i instinctively got near the fretboard...probably because if i dont..the pickups get in the way. atleast for me.
I use both a pick and my fingers. I generally use my fingers more (which is interesting, because I started out as a guitarist), but I use a pick when I want the sound to be more pronounced or heavier, or when I'm playing non-arpegiatted (I know I misspelled that) chords or chord fragments. It also gives me the ability to alternate-pick, which can speed things up (even though I can go just as fast with my fingers; it's just a matter of more practice so I don't miss notes). It also changes your ability to scratch/mute. However, I generally like using my fingers more because it gives me more options and more variety.