I have a schecter diamond series raider with a ,matte black finish, and ive been thinking about painting, but it wouldnt be for a couple months but i was wondering what kind of paint you use to paint on a guitar

and do you have to sand the guitar first or could i paint directly on the current finish?

thanks
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

For straight refinishing how to, check out ReRanch 101 - Finishing Basics to understand the basics.

You can also go to Project Guitar Tutorials for refinishing and other stuff.

Sanding would depend on whether you want to paint it opaque or stain it. If opaque, you just need to scuff sand to remove the gloss; while for stain finish, you need to go to bare wood.

To get an idea what refinishing involves, check out the various mods on this sub-forum. Usually you'll see the brands used, tools, etc. You'll also see links broadcasting members' mods or builds in their sigs. Good Luck!

currently it is a matte finish (the non typical/shiny finish) but i what i want to do is keep the matte finish only under the pickups and strings and the rest be like a normal "shiny" finish. so would i have to sand it for that?
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

By gloss, I meant clearcoat, which can be gloss, semi-gloss, or satin. I'd scuff sand the entire thing after removing the electronics and other hardware. It'll be a bear to paint just certain parts of the body. Maybe not a bear, it'll be tough to make the transitions look correct, as in the old meshing nicely with the new finish. Your call, but read up and these things will become obvious.
ive been looking through the 2nd website, ive never done something like this but i want to give my guitar a unique look, but i dont no how to remove the pickups which is why im a little iffy on sanding
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Quote by otherkid
ive been looking through the 2nd website, ive never done something like this but i want to give my guitar a unique look, but i dont no how to remove the pickups which is why im a little iffy on sanding

It's 100% impossible to paint your guitar without removing everything from the body.

But as a side note, if you don't have the money for nitrocellulose laquer, you can pick up some paint from an autozone. I use duplicolor.

EDIT: Oh, and you're going to want to read A LOT on finishing. I didn't do my first finish properly (not enough clear coat, didn't properly make it a gloss finish). And based on the fact that you thought you could leave your pickups on during a refinish, you have to use spray cans
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Feb 15, 2007,
Yeah, i figured the chances of not using spray cans was slim to none, ill read up on removing pickups, so if any knows a link to removing dual active humbuckers please send me it.

im still hoping i can keep the orginal finish under the strings, but it would be going from matte to gloss
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Removing everything from guitars is usuallt just screws. And for electronics, unsoldering the wires. It's amazingly simple.

..I'm guessing it has no pickguard so you just unscrew the 4 screws in the corner of the pickup rings and they should lift out a bit.. Then unsolder the wires connected to them..