hello all. im new to ug, but im a bit confused about my playing at the moment. i've been going about 3-4 months, but my progress went up like a rocket the minute i learned bohemian rhapsody (yay). anyway, ive also been doing the solo for stairway to heaven. yes, i know how every noob reckons they can do, but i actually can pretty well. my question is about bending. i think i might be 'cheating'. for example at the start where it goes
|------------5--------------------|
|--------------8p5---------------|
|-----7b9--------7p5---7p5---|
|-----------------------7---------|
|----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------|
i instead play this:
|------------5----------------------------|
|--------------8p5-----------------------|
|-----8b9----------7p5---7p5----------|
|-------------------------7-------7p5----|
|-----------------------------------------8|
|------------------------------------------|
the same for the bit that next time there is a bend at the 7th fret a full step i bend the eighth fret half a step. and at the bit that goes
|-----------------17---------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------20------20-----------------------------------------------------------|
|---19b21--------------------19b21r(19)-17----19-17----17-19b21~~~|
|--------------------------------------------------19-------19--------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
i munt it up entirely and play this instead;
|---12--15----17--15----------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------15b17r15--13------15--13------13--15\17~~~|
|--------------------------------------------14-----------14--------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

ok i wont bother making this post any longer, i hope you get my idea. what i do is whenever i have to make a bend that requires perfect control of pitch, i would rather bend at a higher fret so that it is not as hard for me to guess the correct pitch, or in the case of the little bit above, not bend at all and completely change the strings played to make fingering easier. basically, i think my way SOUNDS right, but i don't think my way is as 'authentic'. so, is it incorrect to play like this (i do it alot with other songs too) or does jimmy page do it a more techniqual way? i also had a thought; seeing how musica and especialy solos are oppen for interrpretation, does that mean its ok to do this? or am i just the Ultimat Noob?
Last edited by cobaindrix at Feb 14, 2007,
If you're playing it like that because it sounds better then go for it.

but if you're playing like that because you cant play the other way, you should practice the right way
Quote by treefiddey
If you're playing it like that because it sounds better then go for it.

but if you're playing like that because you cant play the other way, you should practice the right way

it does sound better for me to play it that way, as i less chance of stuffing it up
you should eventually learn to play it the right way because you don't want to be limited to playing that way just because you cant play it right. I think...
okay so ive spent all day practising the 'pro' way to do it. my concern now is the bit at the start,
|------------5----------------------------|
|--------------8p5-----------------------|
|-----8b9----------7p5---7p5----------|
|-------------------------7-------7p5----|
|-----------------------------------------8|
|------------------------------------------|
this is also similar to a bit that comes next, with the a few of the same notes as the bit above (you all know the song so i hope you know what im on about) a bend on the 8th just seems like a more realiable thing to do, as the timing for this bit
|------------5----------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------8p5-----------------------------------------------------|
|-----7b9----------7p5----7p5-----------------5-----5-5--0-------|
|--------------------------7-------7p5------5-7----7----------------|
|------------------------------------------7----------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
requires the bend to be made in a split seccond. what i want to know is if anyone else plays it the same way as me? if they do, then im not alone
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Ahhh I really dont believe u when u say it sounds the same... Its clever what ur doing i wouldve never thought of that... The thing is that by starting on the 8th fret ur bending from a C# to a D when ur actually supposed to bend from a C to a D... By bending 1 step the solo (in this case) loses feeling... To me that first bend sounds beautiful because of how long its sustained...
I think you can get away with it because even though C# is not part of A minor it is part of A blues minor....
Anyways... my advice to you is taht you actually practise that bend... To me bending is a huge part of my soloing... Yeah I do play rhythem in my band... But that bend in that solo sets the mood for the whole solo...
Originally Posted By Hot Pants
burn thy neighbor and thy children??

If you're gonna kick society in the teeth, you may as well use both feet
Bends must start from the note your bending from. Its not just a a bend from any random note to another its another way of moving from one note to the next and as such you should do it as done in the song for it to be correct in any sense of the word
+1 The bend is just another way of moving between two notes, so if you don't start on the correct note it'll sound wrong. Besides, full step bends aren't particularly hard - 2 1/2 step bends are when you should start worrying.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com