I bought one today, I'm recording a demo with my band later this week and..

How will that mic fare for recording amps? I've heard it's the industry standard and that it gets a really good sound, but I'd like some opinions from people who have used them.

Thanks
Its picks up very good sound from what it points at and neglects the background. Just watch your placement on where you point it at, pointing it dead center to the speaker wouldnt give you the same sound as pointing it a bit more to the sides.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
So if I have an amp with 4 speakers I should center it in the middle of the four speakers at a correct distance?

Will it pick up distortion and cleans well?
#1 The mic is one of the best out there for micing amps, and I know that from personal use.
#2 DO NOT place the mic in the center of your cab! Place it somewhere on the speaker cone of ONE of the speakers in the cab, and move the mic around until you get the best sound.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I hear it's awesome. I saw in a video that Dave Weiner (Steve Vai band, Solo artist) uses one.

I want one but I don't have any cash
Everybody uses one. It's far and away the most popular mic out there for guitar.
It is probably the most "worth it" bit of cash you can spend if you want to record or mic up live. I got one brand new for $85, and yes there is a REASON the pros use it. I simply cannot see why they haven't come out with a better much more expensive mic for these things. I mean really these artists are rolling in dough - and yet they buy $85 microphones - whats up with that? Oh well, at least this way those of us not rolling in dough can mic up just like the pros at an amazing price.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The SM57 is a very nice mic, as an example, all 3 of the guitars on this track were recorded with an SM57 going into a cheapo Behringer mixer.

Instrumental
^^The Blue mic is meant more for mic'ing acoustics while the SM57, is generally considered better for guitar cabs. They can both be used for either but that is how they are generally used.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

^What did you do to it??? I have heard plenty of stories of those things lasting upwards of 20 years!!! Heck, I can virtually use mine as a baseball bat if I choose (and was trying desperately to keep an extremely rich band entertained in my studio), and it would probably survive. Now, I would never actually do this - but these things are considered the tanks of the mic industry.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
^^The Blue mic is meant more for mic'ing acoustics while the SM57, is generally considered better for guitar cabs. They can both be used for either but that is how they are generally used.

I got a Blue Ball in the mail. Dude, I was just in the market for an acoustic mic. SWEET!

I really just want a nice array of ribbon mics.
the SM57 is good for vocals and amp recording but its more geared toward amp recording with the flat front

the SM58 is geared toward vocals as it has the rounded end for a wind filter and all that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101

Both are extremely good mics
the sm57 is the industry standard for micing amps, i wouldn't recomend anything else to you.

it's okay for vocals, it does cut down on the room noise nicely.
Cream fan club member #11.
I have one, they give great warm clean sounds. You might have to EQ it a bit to get more balance though. They seem to be very midy.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH