Recently I began a music class. I play Tenor saxophone in the class but Bass guitar in my band. I was recently asked to play bass for the schools jazz band, and I would like to but the major problem is I don't know the notes on the staff. I know all of them on the fretboard to a tee, so it should be easier just to recognize them in the staff. Any techniques on how to do that exactly (easy songs, abbreviations, the actual notes... )?
Just memorize them...

All Cows Eat Grass

and

Good Burritos Don't Fall Apart.

-C-
            B
-----------A----
          G open
---------F------
        E
-------D-open---
      C 
-----B----------
    A open
---G------------
  F
-E- open
Not the best, but it's something.

edit: Fixed up a bit.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by yawn
Just memorize them...

All Cows Eat Grass

and

Lawl, I've never heard of "Good Burritos Don't Fall Apart" I'm going to definitely use that to teach my students.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by ak Gitaroo Man
Lawl, I've never heard of "Good Burritos Don't Fall Apart" I'm going to definitely use that to teach my students.
It's a universal truth, man.
The way I remember is that when you see a note raise it up one line or one space.(if it's on a line a line if it's on a space space and you get the note)

ex)
----------------------------

----------------------------------

A (treble clef)
-----------------------------------
                A (bass clef)

get it? That's how I remember it anyway.
Man, I got tired of reading different clefs and always switching, so I thought this is stupid. Now, I just read and think everything in concert pitch. Sometimes I forget what their real names are

But Yes, these are all good examples, wont be hard to learn, just takes time at looking at it everyday, practice.

Love the Low end
Quote by yawn
Just memorize them...

All Cows Eat Grass

and

I like that much better than Good Boys Do Fine Always, which is the mnenomic we used back in the dark ages.

I finally learned to read Bass clef by transcribing melodies from Treble to Bass Clef. Time consuming, but you'll nail it in no time flat.
i use All Cows Eat Grass

and George Brown Died Friday Afternoon
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Dont learn them with a rhyme, it will slow you down. Trust me. If you can remember how to spell your own name, or how to call your house on the telephone then you can remember A, C, E, G and G, B, D, F, A

Surely?

Learning it with a rhyme will make you say that every time you look at a score instead of just "knowing" which is which.

Seriously guys, this was some of the best advice i was given when learning to read
Quote by Applehead
Dont learn them with a rhyme, it will slow you down. Trust me. If you can remember how to spell your own name, or how to call your house on the telephone then you can remember A, C, E, G and G, B, D, F, A

Surely?

Learning it with a rhyme will make you say that every time you look at a score instead of just "knowing" which is which.

Seriously guys, this was some of the best advice i was given when learning to read

And you must have had an unusual teacher who had great advice. Unfortunately, most of the teachers I have run into stateside still use some sort of mnenomics to memorize these sort of things.

The other advantage of your approach is that it doesn't slow you down with an additional step when you have to sight read above middle C or below low E on the clef. ( To be honest, that still is a problem area for me to quickly sight read).

Also the Clef "dots" are always above and below "F" btw, another visual cue, and why its also called an "F clef" as well.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 15, 2007,
that thing is the s***!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50