Poll: Which Pickup for bridge position on a mahog Death Metal guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Pickup for bridge position on a mahog Death Metal guitar?
SD Invador
3 13%
EMG 81
20 87%
Voters: 23.
What are the tonal differences? Which is better in the bridge position for leads? Rhythm? Downtuned to A? Pinch Harmonics?

Please give me reasons and try to answer a few of the questions above.

My guitar has a mahogany body and an ebony fretboard with only one pickup position: Bridge.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Feb 14, 2007,
EMG's, hands down.

EMG's are louder, very versatile, have good cleans, great distorted tone, etc.

Especially for Mahogany, it's just an all around better pickup.
Quote by Pacifica112J
EMG's, hands down.

EMG's are louder, very versatile, have good cleans, great distorted tone, etc.

Especially for Mahogany, it's just an all around better pickup.

RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

Oh my God, yes.

I don't know where everybody gets the idea that they're only suited for metal.

The cleans are beautiful, and distorted is the best pickup I've ever heard.

Hell, Dave Gilmour uses EMG's.
Ahh, I thought you were referring to their humbuckers, not including the 60, the 60A and the H.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Ok, just to be a bit more specific.

This guitar is a Baritone guitar almost always tuned to A. I don't need it for cleans, so versatility doesn't matter. All I need to know is which does A tuned Brutal Death Metal better (A one trick pony is what Im after)? The main things I am looking for is rhythm and pinch harmonic tone but Whammy diving and lead is important to me too.

the only reason I am curious is that Nile's lead guitarist uses the invader and has pretty much the tone I am after...but I have heard pretty much what all of you guys are saying.
Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Ok, just to be a bit more specific.

this guitar is only going to be used on a Baritone guitar almost always tuned to A. I don't need it for cleans, so versatility doesn't matter. All I need to know is which does A tuned Brutal Death Metal better? The main things I am looking for is rhythm and pinch harmonic tone but Whammy diving and lead is important to me too.

the only reason I am curious is that Nile's lead guitarist uses the invader and has pretty much the tone I am after...but I have heard pretty much what all of you guys are saying.
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Brutal tone? EMG. Harmonics? EMG. Whammy bar tricks? EMG. Lead work? EMG.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Invader that Nile's guitarist used was re-wound.

But I bought an Invader last year, because it was on clearance, and it was terrible.

EMG's on the other hand, have to be heard to be believed.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Ahh, I thought you were referring to their humbuckers, not including the 60, the 60A and the H.

I was referring to both their singles and humbuckers. They're all great pickups.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Brutal tone? EMG. Harmonics? EMG. Whammy bar tricks? EMG. Lead work? EMG.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Invader that Nile's guitarist used was re-wound.

But I bought an Invader last year, because it was on clearance, and it was terrible.

EMG's on the other hand, have to be heard to be believed.

I was referring to both their singles and humbuckers. They're all great pickups.

Thanks for all of your help man. I really appreciate it.
I gotta say EMG 81..

they don't have great cleans... they are passable, but there are waaay better pickups for cleans. But since you are going for "one trick" EMG all the way... the Invader is a shit pickup thats muddy, and lacks any kind of "punch".

+

The single coil emg's are totally different than the 'buckers. They use the active-ness for different objectives than the 'buckers use of it (like, clarity, over output)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
EMG, no questions asked. I know first hand.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Thanks for all of your help man. I really appreciate it.

Wasn't a problem.

EMG 81

As you can see form the video, EMG's can chug like no other, and they're the pickup for harmonics.
Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Wow...that harmonic tone is great....this looks like a no brainer.

Yup. They're some of the best pickups money can buy, IMO.

They even almost force you to be a better player, since they quite literally pick up everything. Even mistakes in your playing.