Hey Bass players,

I need advice please. I have been playing guitar for over a year now, and I start music theory class next Saturday. I am pretty good, had a band but yeah. Recently, I have been really wanting to play Bass guitar, I do not know why such a change. But maybe the Bass will be me you know? I love guitar, but I really want to try bass.

I have a lot of bands I like that are awesome bass players, and I like to keep rhythm and etc. If I have been playing guitar for over a year, how hard is it to start playing bass? I heard its not hard, but would it take a while for me to build up my hand strength for bass because its completely different?

And I have also been reading a lot, that bass players are needed all over. But anyway get back to me please.
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
Head to a Guitar Center, Musicstop, or whatever guitar store near you and try out some basses, dude.
frets are wider so instead of using ur ring finger for a powerchord you might use your pinky, and its harder to press down.
Also burns your right fingers when you first start
and takes a while to slap without it sounding retarded
Quote by maXterbat0r
Head to a Guitar Center, Musicstop, or whatever guitar store near you and try out some basses, dude.

Yeah, that is what I should do. But I just bought a Jackson guitar so it may be a while before I purchase a bass. And I have music theory class.
04 things to remember.

Even if you prefer a pic, learn to play with your fingers! It will help you immensly.

Bass sclaes and chords are far more neutral than guitar chords. As in you can move a scales across the strings instead of jsut up the neck far more easely on a Bass. (DAMN YOU HIGH B GUITAR STRING!)

Get a Bass amp! No seriously, get that goddamn plug AWAY from your guitar amp! IF you play through a guitar cabnet/combo amp at barely enough volume, you WILL blow a speaker!

And also, nomatter what anyone tells you, to be a good Bassist you have to remember Bass is a melody instrument, NOT A TONE/FILLER INSTRUMENT!
Quote by Fast_Bear
04 things to remember.

Even if you prefer a pic, learn to play with your fingers! It will help you immensly.

Bass sclaes and chords are far more neutral than guitar chords. As in you can move a scales across the strings instead of jsut up the neck far more easely on a Bass. (DAMN YOU HIGH B GUITAR STRING!)

Get a Bass amp! No seriously, get that goddamn plug AWAY from your guitar amp! IF you play through a guitar cabnet/combo amp at barely enough volume, you WILL blow a speaker!

And also, nomatter what anyone tells you, to be a good Bassist you have to remember Bass is a melody instrument, NOT A TONE/FILLER INSTRUMENT!

Thank you very much! So I should have no trouble going from guitar to bass right?
Quote by Fast_Bear
Oh it will be quite the challenge. Btu if you REALLY like playing guitar as much as you say, it will be quite fun and intersting.

Thanks man!
Quote by Fast_Bear

Bass is for harmony not melody. But that's a very important point.
Whell any instrument can really be a harmony instrument. Violins, trumpets, hell, even drums if you have a high enough collective attack. But the ORIGINAL intent for general Bass instruments is to play melody while a higher instrument plays lead.

This isn't set in stone though. Music has no rules. Period. It only has names. (Read: Jaco Pastorius)