Anyone know any real bluesy bass lines that i could get into. i play mostly metal but a man named tommy shannon has interested me in his style lately and i need lots more to listen to other than stevie ray vaughn.
ummm...well theres guitar stuff but diff. strings im sure would be bluesy

----------------------------------------------------2-x-4-x-5-x-4
------------------2-x-4-x-5-x-4-----------------------------------
-2-x-4-x-5-x-4------------------2-x-4-x-5-x-4-------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

...or you might could do something a little more complicated yet might sound cooler - on all those mutes play open e. Yhis is kinda like a I-IV-V in A, based off a guitar one I (and everyone else lol) does.
Learn your blues scale and start improvising. And then work the 12 bars till you can do it in your sleep.

And there's a wealth of blues stuff out there. If you want to start in familiar "rock / blues" Cream, Alex Korner Blues Incorporated, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. If you want to go for more traditional, Robert Johnson, Ledbelly, Howling Wolf, Big Bill Broozy. The list is pretty endless once you start digging a bit.

And for Hendrix, I would recommend "Killing Floor".

And Stormy Monday by the Allman Brother's band (Best version, Fillmore East) is also a good blues workout.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by anarkee
And Stormy Monday by the Allman Brother's band (Best version, Fillmore East) is also a good blues workout.

The Brothers have many other great bass grooves too.
Basically, everything that Anarkee said.

But i'll add that when i was learning some Blues basslines, i basically just listened to the B.B King Anthology (every music lover should own this!) and learnt nearly all the licks on it. Learn from the masters and then incoporate to your own style..
If you're into more metal stuff I recommend you check out Johnny Christ's (Avenged Sevenfold) more complicated basslines. That band has a generally bluesey sound with the whole Metalcore twist so if you're more into that I recommend you check out his non-root note basslines.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
G thing

G-----------------------
D------0-2-3-2-0-----
A---2----------------2-
E-3---------------------

C thing

G------0-2-3-2-0-----
D---2----------------2-
A-3---------------------
E------------------------

D Thing

G----------2--4
D-0-4----------
A----------------
E----------------

The order is
GG
C
G
D
First four notes of C
G

And repeat
Thats my favourite blues (12 Bar blues in G)

If you want to go to www.Activebass.com

They got some good blues lessons and licks
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by anarkee
Learn your blues scale and start improvising. And then work the 12 bars till you can do it in your sleep.

And there's a wealth of blues stuff out there. If you want to start in familiar "rock / blues" Cream, Alex Korner Blues Incorporated, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. If you want to go for more traditional, Robert Johnson, Ledbelly, Howling Wolf, Big Bill Broozy. The list is pretty endless once you start digging a bit.

And for Hendrix, I would recommend "Killing Floor".

I don't know if Hendrix's "Killing Floor" is the same as Skip James "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues". But the later song is great. A must listen to any blues fan.
Nope, its different. I love the Skip James song as well; heard it first in the soiundtrack to "Brother where art thou?".

A good version of the Hendrix song can be found on Monterey Pop, its the Experience's opening number. Its also on the Radio One album.

Skip James also wrote "I'm so glad" which was of course covered by Cream.

[EDIT] If you are looking for some entry level stuff also checkout---

Going up to the Country (Taj Mahal)
Little Red Rooster (Howling Wolf) or anything by Howling Wolf by that matter
Chicken Shack (Charlie Musslewhite), another artist to delve into for vintage Blues

And BB King, who I can't believe I left off the original list and can only blame it on that second glass of champagne at dinner...
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 15, 2007,