Right now my only amp is a Fender Bassman 250 with 2 10's. It's a great amp, yadda yadda yadda, but I'm always entertaining the idea of getting a full stack. My idea for a setup is as follows:

Ampeg SVT4PRO Head
Bi-amped, active crossover at 500Hz
Treble Cabinet: Ampeg SVT410HLF, a 4x10 @ 500W RMS @ 4 Ohms (1000W peak)
Bass Cabinet: Ampeg SVT18, a ported 1x18 @ 500W RMS @ 4 Ohms (1000W peak)

The SVT4PRO puts out (in Bi-amp mode) 490Wx2 at 4 Ohms. I pretty much plan on only using the bi-amp mode, while applying effects to the treble cab, leaving the bottom end clean (and what a bottom end!)

Basically I'm asking this:

1) How much of a jump in volume or general useability is it from my 250W combo?
2) My guitarist uses a 65W Marshall Valvestate combo when I use my Fender Bassman. He has a Marshall Valvestate AVT2000 150W head and a matching 4x12. If I invest in that stack, will we be equal, or would I be destroying his guitar?
3) I'm dead set on this 410/118 biamp config. Is it worth the ~$3G CDN? Are there any other alternatives? IS THIS WORTH DOING!?!

Thank you. Please feel free to donate money to me in the hope that I can achieve my goal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
1)The volume jump will be quite alot, but echnically speaking it wont' be TWICE AS LOUD.

2), Nope, infact yoru amp is at a good healty level with hsi amp. Just remmber, god made a volume knob for a REASON!

3) Depends on the tone you want. Personally I liek two seperate amps, with the EQ and amp tone being the makeshift "crossover" But all in all I think that yoru amp will be a good even sounding tone monster with a well balanced mix between Bass and treble. However, this is a stack setup, nothing is as set in stone as a combo amp is. If you want deeper lows they make 21" subs. if you want brighter highs get a 6x10 or a fullstack. Your cabnets and amp will resale for quite a bunch, especially if you take care of them.

Though if you REALLY wana spend THAT much, you can always look at a seperate pre-amp/power amp setup. It will be more expensive (an extra 2 1/2G expensive if you want to keep that crossover), but it my sound better
Quote by Fast_Bear

2), Nope, infact yoru amp is at a good healty level with hsi amp. Just remmber, god made a volume knob for a REASON!

I was talking to a salesman at the store and I said the exact same thing. He, however, said that running a huge stack like that at a low volume won't sound proper. I can relate to that, because even my combo sounds better when semi-cranked. Also, he made that setup sound like it was the most powerful thing ever.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 14, 2007,
.. It isn't the msot powerfull thing ever. If you REALLY wanted to you can go as high as 3k Watts.

And I don't know about running it at low volumes. I think it depends on the amp. But I be not sure.
But,if that is the case, get a volume pedal! (You shoudl get one anyway! Everybody who plays an amplified instrumetn NEEDS one!) I do know that if it is an active volume control it wont' do a goddamn thing to your tone, and if it is passive it will actually cut some treble (depending on the quality), your preference. (That same principle applys to volume pedals too)
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Feb 14, 2007,
Never considered a volume pedal. Now that you mention it, I get screatching squeeling feedback when my distortion is on and I don't play when the volume is full. I always roll down the volume on my bass but that's distracting. Thanks for the tip.

Anyway, I'll consider my options after I raise the $3G.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I like my treble. Doesn't noise-gating kill treble? Also, what's a good noise gate? I could have sworn all my equiptment is good... my damn distortion pedal is hand made... I thought my effects loop was quiet.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
A gate is simply this. When the input is below a certand level(usually determined by you), it cuts out. If you hit the strings hard enough and the input gets above a certan level, you get sound. A basic gate does very little to the actuall sound wave exept just cut it off.

This is a totally seperate effect from the rest of your effects. And remember, there are ALOT of effects out there that I dont' even think the great Appleseed knows about. So don't worry about it.

More expensive gates have a real noise reduction quality that gets rid of all unwanted noise, even when playing. But usually those are on the higher quality gates. So they probably won't mess with your tone exept make it cleaner. (I personaly dispise the clean tone, but that is preference!)

Usually gates are rackmount effects put at the end of the line imeedietly before the mixer. Bu they do make gating pedals. Given the nature of this pedal, you dont' have to worry about getting one "FOR BASS", it will work reguardless.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/bass-single-effects-noise-gate-suppressor?N=100001+306285
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live/navigation/gates?N=100001+304636
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Feb 15, 2007,
Yeah, I guess I was getting it confused with a hum eliminator or something like that. I'll look into it. A noise gate will probably be my next pedal purchase.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Oh, sorry, I don't have one, but my old combo amp had some sort of feature like that that was supposed to filter out single-coil hum, and it really squashed the tone. The Boss Noise Suppressor looks to do exactly what I need. Thanks for the tip.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Fast_Bear
1)The volume jump will be quite alot, but echnically speaking it wont' be TWICE AS LOUD.

3) Depends on the tone you want. Personally I liek two seperate amps, with the EQ and amp tone being the makeshift "crossover" But all in all I think that yoru amp will be a good even sounding tone monster with a well balanced mix between Bass and treble. However, this is a stack setup, nothing is as set in stone as a combo amp is. If you want deeper lows they make 21" subs. if you want brighter highs get a 6x10 or a fullstack. Your cabnets and amp will resale for quite a bunch, especially if you take care of them.

Though if you REALLY wana spend THAT much, you can always look at a seperate pre-amp/power amp setup. It will be more expensive (an extra 2 1/2G expensive if you want to keep that crossover), but it my sound better

I agree with all except #1. It will probably technically speaking be twice as loud, just not in terms of decibels. Db are measured exponentially, i.e. 2 db is 10x that of 1db and so forth. It's like the richter scale.
Basically, I'm going to go ahead and gamble that the new stack will raise his volume by more than 1 db.
lol
I just thought it was an interesting conversation point.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!