Being the tone freak that I am, I am very picky about the sound of my amp. I need a tube amp, but they are so expensive. I have been after a decent tube amp for the last 3 years...to wait that long while playing through a SS combo is torture. I HATE that tube amps are so expensive. Ok I am done venting my frustration, now I actually have a question. If I were to get a decent tube amp, what would the users of UG suggest? my budget could go to about $700 maybe...but I would like to spend as little as possible.
well wat do u need
a halfstack
or combo?
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Try find a used jcm 800 combo. You'll be set...BUT

What are you searching for; tone wise.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
They're expensive because of the transformers needed.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Wow that was a fast reply...Uh...tonewise I really love the tone of the Marshall JCM series, but my favorite has got to be the unbelievable tone of the Fender Blues Deville 4x10. I don't really like the Fender Hot Rods. They are just not fat enough. I would probably have more use for a combo and I want that clean, deep, sound. I have a good overdrive pedal so it doesn't need a heavy OD.
Ideally I would like a Fender Blues DeVille or Twin, but they are out of my price range. So I need something comparable to either of those for a decent price. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I am currently unemployed and therefore have no steady income
Have you ever looked used?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Peavey Valveking?
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
Well, I have looked used if you count e-bay, and guitar center carries almost no used gear.
The Peavey Valveking isnt really what I'm looking for...in fact I just don't like the tone at all.
Defintaley go for what your heart desires then. If it's a fender you want, it's a fender you'll need, you won't be happy if you get otherwise.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Crate V-Series/Palomino ... the best, least expensive amp flying under the radar. It's truly a hidden jem. I have a mesa f-50 and needed a practice amp so I didn't destroy my hearing, so I picked up a palomino V8 (5 watts) and can't believe what kinds of sounds this thing puts out (can't believe I bought a crate either, who knew). Best cleans I've heard for almost any tube amp (very very vox-like) and a very nice OD channel as well with a little more growl than a marshall. It's pretty much a poor-mans Matchless. Definitely check it out .
I was going to recommend the Laney VC-30 210 but its $738... So, I recommend the VC-15 $598
How about a Fender Blues Deluxe? They've got reissues out now, and they're great. It's like the Blues Deville but with only 1 speaker instead of 4x10 or 2x12
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Tube amps actually particularly expensive, it's just that crap amps are cheap. Solid state amps are cheaper to make, so invariably the entry level and budget models from any manufacturer will be soild state. In the UK tube amps start from around £300, excluding low wattage models like the VJ. Pretty much anything above that price, excluding obvious lemons like the MG series, Line 6 Spiders and Crates, will be a pretty decent amp, solid state or tube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If your looking for fender tone obviously go for the fender, however, the Epiphone valve junior is based on an old fender amp, and believe the tone they get is incredible. I own one and am pratically in love. Its very bassyu and deep, with alot of clean headroom and the amps tone resly comes out via how and what you playing. Its an awesme amp and its like £100 over here. Get the head and hook it up to some badass speakers, im using jensens in a laney cab at the mo. If u need to use it live, mic it up!
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
They're expensive because of the transformers needed.
Is that really why? Transformers?... That seems kind of lame for some reason.
Is that really why? Transformers?... That seems kind of lame for some reason.

Robots in Disguise don't come cheap y'know....

Valve amps run off much higher voltages, so you need much bigger (and therefore more expensive) step-up transformers in them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Peavey Classic, cheaper and comparible to one of the fenders (Although I really cant remember which one, it was either the blues deville or the hot rod....)

you could get a 2nd hand one cheap cos they dont retain their value that well.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll do some more research and see if I can find a couple of those amps to try out. I will say that I like the blues deluxe by fender, but it is a bit pricey. I have heard good things about the crate valve amps, but never tried one. I was also looking at the carvin Vintage 16 and if anyone here has any firsthand experience with it any advice would be appreciated.
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
If your looking for fender tone obviously go for the fender, however, the Epiphone valve junior is based on an old fender amp, and believe the tone they get is incredible. I own one and am pratically in love. Its very bassyu and deep, with alot of clean headroom and the amps tone resly comes out via how and what you playing. Its an awesme amp and its like £100 over here. Get the head and hook it up to some badass speakers, im using jensens in a laney cab at the mo. If u need to use it live, mic it up!

A lot of clean headroom? Maybe for practice but I find it hard to believe that a 5 watt amp is going to give you any headroom in a gig situation. However, valve juniors are pretty nice sounding amps, and they're relatively easy to modify, even if you have little experience with it. +1 for Laney and Peavey Classic. I would say fender as well but I think they're overpriced compared to what you can get with other brands.
Tube amps don't have to be that expensive. You can buy a used tube amp of a non-major brand name for pretty cheap, and these older amps were usually made well but don't command the high prices of a collectible

For example, this old univox from the 60's will get you some nice low to medium gain tones
Last edited by Gutch220 at Feb 15, 2007,
carvin vintage series amps are good, i almost bought one. i found a better deal used, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I do like the Hotrod DeVille more than the other Hotrods, but for that price range I would probably get the Blues DeVille, but thats just me.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
maybe a used vox ac30 or 15?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by USAPeavey
Wow that was a fast reply...Uh...tonewise I really love the tone of the Marshall JCM series, but my favorite has got to be the unbelievable tone of the Fender Blues Deville 4x10. I don't really like the Fender Hot Rods. They are just not fat enough. I would probably have more use for a combo and I want that clean, deep, sound. I have a good overdrive pedal so it doesn't need a heavy OD.
Ideally I would like a Fender Blues DeVille or Twin, but they are out of my price range. So I need something comparable to either of those for a decent price. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I am currently unemployed and therefore have no steady income

If you want that sound for an affordable price get a Blues junior.... It's only 15 watts though