Poll: Which would you pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you pick?
EMG 81
29 33%
Bareknuckle WarPig Humbucker
59 67%
Voters: 88.
Page 1 of 2
Ok well I did a little bit more research and found this monster custom pickup that everyone seems to rave about... but everyone raves about EMG 81's too. So which would be better?

What are the tonal differences? Which is better in the bridge position for leads? Rhythm? Downtuned to A? Pinch Harmonics?

Please give me reasons and try to answer a few of the questions above.

This guitar is a Baritone guitar almost always tuned to A. I don't need it for cleans, so versatility doesn't matter. All I need to know is which does A tuned Brutal Death Metal better (A one trick pony is what Im after)? The main things I am looking for is rhythm and pinch harmonic tone but Whammy diving and lead is important to me too.
EMG's are almost "famous" for being great at optimizing high-gain amps, and de-tuned guitars, so I would say the 81. It is also active, and if you're only looking for metal and no cleans, you can't go wrong with EMG.
High as tits
Just wait till the Europeans wake up and see this thead. Then you'll get your answers (bareknuckles are based in the UK I believe, and they cost almost $130 a pickup to ship to North America).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
^Thx, but price is not a problem...Im going all out on making this guitar as amazing as possible for Death metal. I guess I'll check back tomorrow to see what the Europeans think. Thnx
Warpig, but they're incredibally expensive. They're very similar to the EMG's, as i've heard, but they're much clearer.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
not speaking from experience here, but...

actives like the EMG generally have a harder attack and more response, so they both are hotter and feel hotter.

passives = just a passive, but overwinding can make it similar to an active?

the 81 is supposed to be really trebly, despite the fact that its used for downtuned metal almost exclusively. wouldnt know bout the warpig, but the US equivalent of the warpig (in case anybody wants to know) as far as i can tell is the WCR Ironman.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Bareknuckle for sure...
Maybe nailbomb or warpig, but either way,
You get a pickup thats waaay more responsive and tonally "alive" than the generally sterile tone of the EMG 81...
You might have to sacrifice a little bit of output, but the tone will more than make up for it.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
If price doesnt matter go BK all the way. I do not like EMGs but they are pretty reasonably priced in the US and do get the job done well for metal. However, BKPs just sound better to me and are more versatile, even the ceramic pickups.

For Rhythm: Ceramic Warpig or Miracle Man. THe MM is closest to an EMG 81. Its real tight while the WP has a booming low end. Listen to more soundclips on the BK forum if you get the chance. Also, email Tim and he can help you.

For Lead: Cold Sweat, matches up best with MM. the CS/MM is a favored combo by guys on the BK forum.

I think all these pickups will be fine downtuned. Just dbl check with Tim at BK.

You said you don't need versatility so no Nailbombs, even tho they do sound fantastic for metal.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Ok, I need more input from people who have played/know about Bareknuckle Warpigs.

For A standard tuning, extreme brutal Death Metal and nothing else (no cleans, no rock, no jazz, no metalcore etc.) which is best?
Unless you are playing through a 5150 or a triple rect. mesa, then I would pass on the EMG81. Maybe even then some people would prefer a bareknuckles
I don't know about the US, but I looking into BK pickups. With exchange, shipping and duties, a pair of BK humbuckers would cost just shy of $500 Cdn (about $400 US). To me, no pickup is worth that much.

That being said, I've been an EMG ***** for the past 18 years or so. But whether or not to get one really depends on the body wood of the guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i forgot which pickup he used but Drac on BKPs forum plays in a death metal band. Check out his stuff.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Mahogany + EMG 81 = kickass combination. Look as most LTD and ESP guitars, and you'll find that very combinations. And they pretty much are the guitars that rule all genres of metal these days.

Quote by garden of grey
Unless you are playing through a 5150 or a triple rect. mesa, then I would pass on the EMG81.

Bullshìt. I've played EMGs for the past 18 years and I've owned several amps in that time. They've always given me the sound I was looking for regardless of what amp (tube or solid state) that I was playing through. As long as the amp is capable of producing a decent amount of gain, you can get awesome metal tones.

As for EMG 81 being trebly - it's true to an extent. It has powerfuls highs and mids. That's why it needs to be matched with a darker sounding wood like mahogany to counter that and get that tight, thick low end. I hear so many people bitching about EMG sounding thin and sterile after installing them in basswood, alder, agathis or other mid or trebly-sounding woods. That's like having a car accident due to shìtty driving and blaming Ford for making cars that can be crashed...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

I really appreciate all of your guys responses.

I need more however because right now support for each pickup seems to be about even.

btw, Crunchmeister...
What kind of metal do you play?
^ Go to his site, www.sadbuttrue-band.com and you can hear for your self. I think their walk cover is amazing, maybe even better then the original. Not bad for a few guys that make songs over the internet.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
I play mostly old-school thrash. I love old Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, and most of the dominant metal bands of the late 80s / early 90s. As you can hear from the link SGStrummer61 posted, we have several Metallica covers, as well as a couple of other songs.

All those songs except For Whom The Bell Tolls were recorded with EMG 81-equipped guitars. The earlier covers were recorded using a Peavey Bandit amp. Others with a Mesa V-Twin (either direct or using my Bandit as a Slave). More recent recordings were done using my old Peavey 5150. The latest cover, Creeping Death, was recorded using my El Diablo.

^ See, while I love old school thrash and I play it frequently, that is not what I need this guitar to play. In your experience, will an EMG 81 be too trembly for Death metal. Think Nile and Cannibal Corpse.

Edit: NICE MOP cover btw.

I really like it.
Warpig is THE BEST PICKUP if you can dig the looks.

ITS THE BEST AT EVERYTHING.
ALL STYLES.
DIST. AND CLEAN
^ The 81 is fine for death-metal, you just need a mahogany body guitar to get the right tone, which I believe you said you have.

http://www.emginc.com/artists.asp

Those are the artists endorsed by EMG.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
^ The 81 is fine for death-metal, you just need a mahogany body guitar to get the right tone, which I believe you said you have.

http://www.emginc.com/artists.asp

Those are the artists endorsed by EMG.

That's right. Matched with mahogany, you'll have no problem getting the tone you want.

Quote by guitarist41
Warpig is THE BEST PICKUP if you can dig the looks.

ITS THE BEST AT EVERYTHING.
ALL STYLES.
DIST. AND CLEAN

You dont have to get the distressed covers anymore. Actually you can get custom covers. Davey on the BK Forums got a cool spider web engraved MM cover. With the warpigs you can get a variety of colors.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Ok well, thanks to everyone for their input (and to Crunchmeister for his persistent posting to help me out lol). I just wish there was an overwhelming majority that favored one or the other. I guess I'll just leave this up for a day and come back to see if there are anymore responses and to check the poll... cuz 13:14 is damn close.
Well, BK pickups do seem to be favored, and I think if I were in Europe, I'd tend to lean towards them since they'd be more affordable than the American brands and they're apparently fantastic pickups. But I don't think they're worth the price they sell for in North Americal, especially for me in Canada. There's no way in Hell I'm ever payign $200+ for a single pickup.

I think that either way, you'd be able to get the sound you want though.

Yeah. I just can't justify paying that much for pickups I can't try first. I mean, I won't even buy pickups at regular price if I don't know what they sound like. I know for a fact I can get all the heavy and chunk I ever need (and then some) out of EMGs. And I have Duncan JB / Jazz in my Gibson because I wanted a guitar that could do metal, but wasn't specifically geared for metal. While I love the sound of that guitar, it definately does NOT give me MY sound. Only EMGs can do that for me.

Emg Man
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.
Quote by onemanarmy9
Just wait till the Europeans wake up and see this thead. Then you'll get your answers (bareknuckles are based in the UK I believe, and they cost almost $130 a pickup to ship to North America).

What makes you think I am not European? Because I suggested the EMG? I am 100% Dutch, born in Holland.
High as tits
Warpig all the way. The only time I'd recommend EMGs is when they're the only pickups left on the planet.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
I would recommend BK warpigs, although expensive...they sound sweet.

But saying that, even though price is not an issue...Either one will more than likely get you the sound your looking for.
EMG for sure. My 81 works wonders whenever I play Death Metal/Melodeath. Harmonics sound amazing with it too.

Especially since your guitar is mahogony, go with the EMG. Really works well with that type of wood.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
I'd get the Warpig if price really doesn't matter, or the EMG if it does. BKs have the most clarity of any pickups i've heard, and that even stretches to the Warpigs :S
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Most of you guys are saying EMG all the way but i bet most havent even used Bareknuckle pups! Dont assume just coz you play EMGs for metal that they are the best.
I love my EMGs, but would love to try out some Warpigs. I'd love to get a pair of those for my Gibson. I actually wanted some until I found out that a pair, shipped to Canada, would cost me just shy of $500 Cdn. I got my Duncan JB / Jazz set currently in my Gibson new for a whopping $129 US plus shipping for the pair (about $160 Cdn total). I can get a pair of EMGs for just under $200 Cdn. While the BK may sound better, I doubt they sound $300+ better for my use.

If they ever become more reasonably priced, I'll definately buy a set. Till then, I'm sticking to what I know works and won't cost me my first-born.

I'm really glad to get this much input from you guys. I've decided to go with a Bare Knuckle pickup, if for no other reason, to have a more unique tone that will seperate me from the 10,000 other guitarists who all use EMG's. I have no doubt they are great, but seeing as both pickups are loved on UG I guess I can't go wrong with either selection.

So as my second step, I messaged Drac on the bare knuckle Pups web page and he suggested these 4 pickups to me with these descriptions:

1. Miracle Man-VERY METAL! -the most brutality/edge-the least 'universal'
2.Warpig(stock )-drives hard, cleans up nicely...
3.Warpig (ceramic)-bit crispier than stock
4.Nailbomb-tight compressed chords, fluid lead sound

So from these descriptions, the Miracle Man sounds like my best bet right? Anyone else have experience with any of these pickups?

Edit: Forget it. I'm going with the warpig unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Should I go with Alnico V or ceramic?

I'm guessing that Ceramic would have more brutal rhythms but the Alnico V would have more cutting leads?
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Feb 16, 2007,
one reason to go with the Miracle Man is that it will balance out better in our guitar than a warpig. the pig is quite bassy and in a mahogany body guitar it gets even more bottom end. it still will sound good but if you prefer balance than get the MM.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

BK a thousand times over.

THEY ARE THE BOLLOCKS.

Warpig has 22k DC resistance.

Dunno how much EMG's have but the SD Invador is a really high output pickup and it has around 17k

BK = more bang for your buck.
Quote by guitarist41
BK = more bang for your buck.

Unfortunately, for me it's far too much buck for the bang...

Out of those two, I'd personally get the EMG, because I like the treble and I'm an EMG fanboy.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Page 1 of 2