I am looking for a new guitar, as my current ax has the tone equivalent to a dried piece of shit. I would prefer to keep the price low so under $400 would be ideal, if possible. I am looking for something with a nice bright tone wood, like mahogany, and able to manage beautiful cleans to crunchy distortion. So either a S-S-H setup or H-H setup with a low output on the neck pup. I was looking at this guitar, but it's been discontinued now Any ideas/ suggestions?
try an epi les paul standard or epi sg400 and maybe change the pickups later.
both of those are alder/mahogany lol. Under $400, you'll be very lucky to get full mahogany. The only ones I can think up at this time (1:00 in the morning) is the Ibanez RG321MH (I think that's what it's called) and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (but for some reason, I think the plain top was more than $400).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Try out the RG321MH or go to rondomusic.net and check out the Agile AL series of LP copies and the Valkyries.
I am a noob :|

thanks for the link, it clears up a bit. "Generally speaking, the heavier woods sustain well and have a bright and articulate sound" this is what I am looking for. "Extra light weight woods ... can sound indistinct or muddy especially with humbucking pickups" this is the problem I have. Basswood is a lighter wood, and my guitar basically sounds like mud. It has no definition. For my new guitar I would like a heavier wood, like mahogany, or maple ... as long as it has definition!
Quote by onemanarmy9
both of those are alder/mahogany lol. Under $400, you'll be very lucky to get full mahogany. The only ones I can think up at this time (1:00 in the morning) is the Ibanez RG321MH (I think that's what it's called) and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (but for some reason, I think the plain top was more than $400).

Actuall the G-400 is all mahogany.

Quote by Rainsford
I am a noob :|

thanks for the link, it clears up a bit. "Generally speaking, the heavier woods sustain well and have a bright and articulate sound" this is what I am looking for. "Extra light weight woods ... can sound indistinct or muddy especially with humbucking pickups" this is the problem I have. Basswood is a lighter wood, and my guitar basically sounds like mud. It has no definition. For my new guitar I would like a heavier wood, like mahogany, or maple ... as long as it has definition!

It's not your guitar's bodywood. Basswood has a lot of midrange, so it cuts through the mix with a lot of clarity. A lot of good guitars are made of basswood. So that's not the source of the "mud".
Out of curiousity - what kind of amp do ya have?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 15, 2007,
you wont be disappointed with the RG321, i was actually surprised by the amount of sustain it has, it's incred, probably coz of the string through design? ALthough the thin neck isnt for everyone, not for me which is why Im gatting a new one soonish..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Out of curiousity - what kind of amp do ya have?

yeah most likely its your amp or the guitar has cheap pickups.
Quote by FacingUsAll
What kind of music? What amp do you have?

Michael Kelly Patriot Phoenix

(Or any of the Michael Kellys)

Hastrom F-200

(Or any of the Hagstroms)

Schecter CSH-1

Gretch Electromatic Pro Jet

Godin Detour

Godin SD

You might want to look into a new amp though .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I am looking for a new guitar, as my current ax has the tone equivalent to a dried piece of shit. I would prefer to keep the price low so under $400 would be ideal, if possible. I am looking for something with a nice bright tone wood, like mahogany, and able to manage beautiful cleans to crunchy distortion. So either a S-S-H setup or H-H setup with a low output on the neck pup. I was looking at this guitar, but it's been discontinued now Any ideas/ suggestions?

You haven't mentioned what amp you have, so you might want to make sure it's not the amp that sounds like dried shit before you shell out on a guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
for amp's I've been using a line6 spider II, which isn't the greatest amp around, and also guitar rig 2, through my computer using an m-audio fasttrack. With my old, early 70's strat I can get beautiful tones using guitar rig 2, especially with the twin reverb / bassman amp models. However, I try to get a decent clean sound out of my peavey, and I get a lot of mud. And I know single coils have a cleaner sound than humbuckers, but even for humbuckers they really lack definition. Even with low low gain, I still get a crappy sound.

But it may just be the pickups? Basswood shouldn't be the problem? I've dabbled in recording with my peavey, and the lows tend to overpower the highs. Harmonics are completely washed out if even a single other string is vibrating. Could it just be my pickups (and possibly electronics?) that are the problem, more than my wood?
You're looking way to deeply into this, it's nothing to do with the guitar, it's the amp, it's crap. There's no point new guitar if you're going to run it through the same rig.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Amp affects most of your tone. So I advise selling your Line6 Spider (They are not liked here) to boost your funds and buy a better amp! That's just my choice though.

What kinda of music styles do you play?
lol I shouldnt have mentioned the spider II ... It makes the rest of my post irrelevant :P Spider II aside, the "amp" I use goes like this: input -> fast track (low latency, high quality line in) -> guitar rig 2 (Modelling software, amazing tones, can emultate various amps, effects, I can even emultate different cabs and mics, different micing methods ...) -> PA Amp -> Old school ultralinear speakers :P

The point is I can get beautiful tones with my guitar rig 2 setup. Just not with my peavey. I can run it through any amp, or record it direct to PC, and it still sounds like crap. The lows washout the highs, and harmonics only happen by themselfs, as soon as another string is vibrating they get washed out. This is the pickups, not the wood, no?
Get new pickups. it'd be cheaper and it would improve it the most if you insist on keeping the amp. if it still sucks, then get a new amp, or a new guitar. in your case it'd be a new guitar, but seriously consider new pickups first.
first, mahogany is not a bright tonewood, it's fairly dark. if you want bright, go with maple.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
first, mahogany is not a bright tonewood, it's fairly dark. if you want bright, go with maple.

thanks, captain helpful. We established this roughly 16 posts ago.