So I've been looking at a lot of College websites lately and trying to figure out what I'd like to take....and it seems that none of them have English or Philosophy courses....what's up with that?

What I want to know is: Is it possible to take simply English or simply Philosophy? Because every course I have seen thus far has been something VERY specific rather then a broad subject like regular plain old english....

Anyway just wondering

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
College is all about specifics. You'll start out taking some general, required, introduction...and dare I say it...bullshit classes but you'll have to pick a major eventually and the classes will get more and more specialized and specific as time goes on. I'm kind of surprised that any college doesn't offer English and Philosophy classes. Even a community college should.
I'm an English major. I go to Indiana University. We have TONS of English courses and Philosophy courses. I've taken a Philosophy course and I know they go a ways up, and you can major in it. So you could double-major if you wanted.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
I'd be very surprised if any college or university didn't have an English or Philosophy program.

The courses are of course specific, you'll be taking a bunch of them for a broader view. Well, in an English/Philosophy program, maybe not that many courses, really.

*grumbles and goes back to Engineering assignments*
most colleges should offer English or Philosophy majors.

i go to Millersville University, and we offer both.
Yeah I was thinking that they should offer majors in it aswell....I just cant find anything on the program lists that they have.....maybe its under a different name rather then just "English"

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
MTSU has both majors.

As well as Recording Industry (That's me)
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I was looking at websites for Canadian colleges (in ontario)....dont know if that will make any difference or not just thought I should mention it lol

Anyway some of the sites were http://www.georgianc.on.ca/ (hoping for that one over everything else)

http://www.georgebrown.ca/

and

http://durhamcollege.ca/

~ C.G. Jung
Are you in the UK? Because your "college" is like the US's high school.

Most universities have both programs. I like Eastern Philosophy, Taoism in particular.

-SD
Last edited by SilentDeftone at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by Ipster
*grumbles and goes back to Engineering assignments*

What kind of ENGR punk are you? I'm EE.

Anyway, like said before, all Universities have those classes.
But you pick a specific major.
...damn kids wanting to take it easy.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
SilentDeftone: Im In Canada lol

rbmason: I didnt say anything about University lol I also already know I have to pick a specific major, I was just wondering about these courses lol

~ C.G. Jung
Dylan...

Honestly, if it's not a University, it's not worth going to.
Harsh I know. Incase you don't know...

A university is made up of colleges.

Ooo, you should take some math and history courses. Maybe a science too!
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
looks to me like you are looking at the wrong types of schools. most of that stuff seems more like technical school stuff. hardly any Liberal Arts majors.
Ah, well see Im not IN highschool at the moment...so Im looking at getting my GED and going to College.....not trying to turn this into a "stay in school" debate, obviously not staying in high school was really stupid on my part, but I have to move forward and move on SO I figured I'd get my GED and since around 95% of American and Canadian Universities and Colleges consider it to be the same as a high school diploma, I could potentially go to College/Uni

I just figured I had a better shot at a College then a Uni with only a GED lol Im open to University and all I just dont know how good the odds would be with my GED

~ C.G. Jung
Last edited by Dylan-19 at Feb 15, 2007,
Well....in terms of University then....does anyone know how good of a shot I'd have with a GED trying to apply for a University? I realize no one would know for sure but just a rough guess would suffice.

~ C.G. Jung
Quote by rbmason
What kind of ENGR punk are you? I'm EE.

Engineering Physics, with a side of Mech.

I kinda wish I was able to do a bit more Elec or CompSci, it seems to be in fairly high demand for jobs.

Anywho...yeah, can't say I know as much about college, but it is more trade stuff. So that's probably why. (The one time I assume college to be the American term for university, it's not, ha.) If you have some sort of counselor you can talk to about applying, they'd probably have more info about that.