OK so the idea hit me, I don't know if it's good or not but I figure it's worth a try and it will hopefully help.

A thread about amp and volumes/size.

Where we can list certain size/wattages for certain size gigs. Not by brand but just list what are the good wattage tube amps to look into for medium gigs and such.

SO good idea bad idea? I know alot of users including myself ask what size tube or SS amp we need for halls or bars and with this thread others can get a general idea of size amp they could look into based upon their needs.

Edit: YEah I know the title isn't great so I can chage that later I guess.

And out first reccomendation up here is from kurdtkobaign.

Live gigs without mics:

Tubes
30watts minimum for overdrive
50watts if you plan to use clean
2 speaker combos, preferably two12’’s for a combo

Solid State

100watts (clipping can cause a bad distortion)
If powering 4 x 12 then more wattage is necessary

Live gigs with mic system:
Modelling
30watts will get by.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 15, 2007,
I've gigged a school talent show (SMALL auditorium) with about 40 watts CRANKED and it was nowhere near loud enough. To over power drums, you need at least twin speakers. I hook a 40 and an 80 watt together nowadays.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
^^Cool i'll add basic info like that and such to my top post and others can ask questions if they need to, kind of like the acoustic recommendation thread format.

jthm_guitarist were these solid state or tube amps?
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

I think a lot of people dont realize that YES, 30watts tube is way louder than most would think...but to over power drums, bass, and maybe even another guitarist the amp would more than likely be pushed pretty hard. What if you need a good CLEAN tone? It aint gunna
happen in a band situation. It was hard enough to get my 50watt tube amp to have a clean sound at band practice.

IMO, in terms of TUBES, for a band situation - practice or live venues - 30watts is minimum if you dont need to have a clean sound. 50watts is minimum if you use both crunch and clean. More than one speaker is also a must. A lot of you wont agree with me - but whatever. Two 12"s is preferred for a combo. One speaker just doesnt spread the sound enough, and its too directional.

In terms of SS in a band situation - I stand firm on at least 100watts. With SS the only issue you have to worry about is it clipping which causes the wrong kind of distortion. So, if youre getting a SS amp, pick a wattage that applies to you. If youre powering a 4x12 then more wattage is necessary, especially for band practice or live gigs. And again, more than just one speaker is kind of a must for live use.

*Disclaimer*
-This is all assuming youre in a band/live situation.
-This is also all assuming the venue doesnt have a PA to mic the guitar gear.
-Some probably wont agree with some stuff I said. But Ive gigged and have had band practice with pretty much all amp sizes under the sun...so think about that if you feel the need to argue.
jthm_guitarist i'll add you as soon as you can post your amp type. Sorry I'm somewhat of a noob so I can't tell if your talking about tubes or SS.

sorry i just dont see making much sense. it all depends on the type of music played, brands used, how many band mates, and those rigs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^Yeah I plan on organizing most of that info once I can get some basic ideas. I know amps differ alot and it's not just wattage but this is more for a generalized idea of what you may need. Of course I do plan on adding that info. thanks for mentioning it though.

If someone has detalied questions about brands they can ask in this thread.