damn! i just snapped my high e string during a bend! its the first time i snapped a string. is it caused by poor technique? what can i do in future to prevent snap-age?
the strings are like 8 years old though, so yeah...
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Breaking strings is completely normal. You should change your strings about every 6 months anyways. There's nothing you can do to prevent it, unless you're overtightening your strings.
^seconded, seriously how can you play such strings. they probably sounded like shit.. the recommended is around 2 mos. but for me that's too short and i don' have that much money. i usually change mine after 4 to 6 months
Quote by MyGuitarAndMe

voodoo child - jimi hendrix (good song by a crap guitarist)
nothing else matters - metalica (closest they'll ever come to true metal)
can't stop - rhcp (john is not god)
fix you - coldplay (the shredding is top)
ok so thats all fine and good, but what happens if im like doing a performance in front of a crowd and the string just snaps on me? does that ever happen to anybody?

HAHA!
it could happen, but unless the strings are pretty tight, light guage and have been on your guitar too long it probably won't.
ok thanks

HAHA!
it does happen. oh man, i remember my one friend did a solo acoustic song, and as soon as he strummed once, his high e and b strings snapped. it was kind of funny.
Well 8 years for string is a bit harsh i change mine every month at the most but usually ever 2 weeks or so but i spend around 8 hours a day playing, and as before a gig i always use new strings, but snaps can and do happen. i suggest changing your strings regularly not for the pure reason of snapping but for the tone and overall feel of your playing.
hope this helps
Carl
i just replace my strings as i brake them... but if they last bout 6 months i just change the ones that haven't broken (witch is normally the B n G strings
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
On the topic of strings breaking, does anyone know what strings came with the Ibanez Jumpstart Shred Hed? Before I took them off to change them, I tried to break them with all my bending strength and couldn't do it. And I think they were .9's. I bent the high E string to around above the D string
^seconded, seriously how can you play such strings. they probably sounded like shit.. the recommended is around 2 mos. but for me that's too short and i don' have that much money. i usually change mine after 4 to 6 months

I've played with strings a good few years old and it sounded well good. But 8 years is pushing it a bit.

I think you were lucky to get 8 years out of them.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Quote by cobaindrix
ok so thats all fine and good, but what happens if im like doing a performance in front of a crowd and the string just snaps on me? does that ever happen to anybody?

When that happened to Stevie Ray Vaughan, he'd just have one of his slave guitar techs take the instrument off his hands and rush a fresh Strat into them. If it works for Stevie, it's good enough for us! I don't know how you'll get the guitar tech minion, though.