I've been taking lesson from my guitar teacher for about 6 monthes now and I feel like I'm not really going any further with this teacher. I'm into heavy metal and guitar shredding stuff like Metallica, Megedeth, Pantera etc...I wanna learn how to shred.

My teacher is like 60 year old lady and she doesn't play or into metal at all. She plays the accoustic guitar. So far, I've learned basic chords, barre chords, and the essential scales and right now I just begun to learn how to improvise.

So I'm wondering if I should take lesson from a Metal guitar teacher. She doesn't play any metal songs or solos. She said all I need to know is the scales and I should be able to play anything. That's kind of true but if I'm into shredding and metal, shouldn't she help me to gain lots of finger speed, teach me metal scales, and metal techqnies like, legato, sweep picking, tapping and fast picking and stuff like that? She hasn't taught me any of those. I take lesson from this teacher because the guitar store is like 5 minutes away from my house. What do you guys think? Should I get a new teacher?
Yes. A guitar teacher who specializes in metal would be a good idea for you; you only need a well rounded teacher at the start.
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
Lol at the 60-year-old lady...

Well, it's important to learn whatever the lady is teaching you, cause those are the basics that any guitarist - regardless of genre - will need to know.

However, after maybe a year or so of familiarizing yourself with the instrument, then I'd say go for a specialized teacher who can help you hone your shredding skills.
Last edited by yawn at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by yawn
Lol at the 60-year-old lady...

Well, it's important to learn whatever the lady is teaching you, cause those are the basics that any guitarist - regardless of genre - well need to know.

However, after maybe a year or so of familiarizing yourself with the instrument, then I'd say go for a specialized teacher who can help you hone your shredding skills.

I've already learned the basics...like 60 scales...C A G E D form of scales in every form, pentatonic, major, minor all those stuff or wahtever you call it. I played it slowly and she said it was all right like long time ago. And she said I already got down all the scales I need to know to play anything. My gosh..I played them so freakin slow and she said I did good and I'm faster than her. I played it at 2 notes per click at 230bpm. I think that's way too slow if you wanna be a shredder. She's not helping me out to get faster than that. So you all think I should get a different teacher?
I say get a new teacher if your basics are already down. I wouldn't particuallary look for a "metal" guitarist to give you lessons. I knew a country guitarist who could play licks just as fast as shredding. Get recommendations from people, maybe the guitar shop also has someone younger there?
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by grrrr
I've already learned the basics...like 60 scales...C A G E D form of scales in every form, pentatonic, major, minor all those stuff or wahtever you call it. I played it slowly and she said it was all right like long time ago. And she said I already got down all the scales I need to know to play anything. My gosh..I played them so freakin slow and she said I did good and I'm faster than her. I played it at 2 notes per click at 230bpm. I think that's way too slow if you wanna be a shredder. She's not helping me out to get faster than that. So you all think I should get a different teacher?

Yeah you need a teacher who can atleast play as fast as you, but don't get intirely into shredding it'll wreck you, you still need to express feelings, its just like this teacher is way to much on that side...
Yeah, if you've gotten to that point, then you're definitely ready for a more specialized teacher.