Hi:

I want to record my notes, into my PC, I solo play with my electric guitar. Basically, as I play solo, I want to see the notes captured on my PC by a software (for example, Cubase LE), on the fly. Is this possible? These are the only 2 options I have been told:

1) a cheap Audio Interface unit (like Lexicon Omega USB Audio Interface), plus rediculously expensive Cubase 4 software ($800!).

2) Roland GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer with GK-3 Divided Pickup ($600).

Are these the only options? Is there any cheaper solution out there, other than those 2 options?

I really need this, so appreciate any help you can offer.

===============================================
BTW, I tried the configuration below, but it didn't work.

PC with Notation Composer <-->USB_to_Midi cable<-->Boss GT-8<-->Electric guitar

The GT-8 box has a midi in/out jack, of where the USB_to_midi cable is connected to.

I used Notation Composer 2.0, on my PC.

The configuration below worked, ie, the Notation Composer 2.0 captures the notes I played on my keyboard.

PC with Notation Composer <-->USB cable<-->Keyboard

===============================================
Peter
I was about to submit my reply, but re-reading your post I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. Do you want to record your playing as audio, or do you want to capture the notes you're playing as MIDI information, so that you can convert them to notation or run through samplers or whatever?
Well, i think that the roland is your best option. As you can run that into your PC and have the PC transcribe the passage with the appropriate software, such as Sibelius.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by indrek13
I was about to submit my reply, but re-reading your post I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. Do you want to record your playing as audio, or do you want to capture the notes you're playing as MIDI information, so that you can convert them to notation or run through samplers or whatever?

Ideally, I want to capture as audio, PLUS, the MIDI notation (notes). But really, my ultimate goal is to be able to capture the notes (as displayed in a notation software like Notation Musician). Why I want to do this? Because, I need to prepare my solo/leads for songs. What I do is, when listening a song, I play along with my own solo (created on my own, on certain sections of songs). Capturing the notes, as I play, saves me from handwriting the notes down on paper. I hope it makes sense.

Please bear with me, as I am very new to recording. I just start playing electric guitar.

Thx.
Quote by Kunundrum
Well, i think that the roland is your best option. As you can run that into your PC and have the PC transcribe the passage with the appropriate software, such as Sibelius.

I presume you are talking about option 2. Too bad, that is way too expansive for me at this point in time. If you could come up with other cheaper solutions, that would be great. For example, would a $150 Audio Interface (like the Lexicon Omega) plus reasonably priced software (like Cubase LE, CakeWalk Home Studio 4, Notation Composer) work?

Thx for your feedbacks.
Last edited by etalkishere at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by etalkishere
I presume you are talking about option 2. Too bad, that is way too expansive for me at this point in time. If you could come up with other cheaper solutions, that would be great. For example, would a $150 Audio Interface (like the Lexicon Omega) plus reasonably priced software (like Cubase LE, CakeWalk Home Studio 4, Notation Composer) work?

Thx for your feedbacks.

Lexicon Omega is an _audio_ interface. If you want to capture the notes in a notated form you need MIDI. There are MIDI pickups and interfaces available for guitar (such as the Roland GK-2) or you can buy a MIDI equipped guitar. There is no way to transcribe the sound coming from your regular pickups into notation - at least not for the price you want.

And you don't need Cubase for this. Any software that can record MIDI will do - even Guitar Pro for example.

I've always wanted a synth guitar, because most of the time when I find a good riff/lick, I forget half of it by the time I start transcribing it.
Quote by etalkishere
Ideally, I want to capture as audio, PLUS, the MIDI notation (notes). But really, my ultimate goal is to be able to capture the notes (as displayed in a notation software like Notation Musician). Why I want to do this? Because, I need to prepare my solo/leads for songs. What I do is, when listening a song, I play along with my own solo (created on my own, on certain sections of songs). Capturing the notes, as I play, saves me from handwriting the notes down on paper. I hope it makes sense.

Ah, I see now.

For recording audio, you can get a cheap interface(1) and a cheap/free recording program, such as Reaper or Audacity. Personally I'd also recommend looking into the Line6 Toneport. I have the UX2 model myself and it's a great package for home recording.

For transcribing the notes, you don't really need the Roland guitar synth - the GK-3 MIDI pickup should suffice. When you connect it to your guitar, it should appear in your recording program as a normal MIDI input. I'm not familiar with Notation Composer, though, but it should be easy enough to transcribe from either a MIDI file or a live MIDI input.

(1) you'll want to make sure that whatever audio interface you choose, that it supports ASIO. This will allow you to record with virtually zero latency.