I just cant get through strumming power chords and its becoming annoying...

like the song "smells like teen spirit" i can play the F5.. then when i try to strum like the Bb5 my piCk kinda gets stuck
i mean struming is supposed to be smooth and natural for me and the power chords are like so abrupt i feel i just cant strum then... any tips?

And what kinda patterns do u strum the power chords? I do a DUD with the F5 and im just stuck when it comes to the other one.. :S

plz help out...

im using an acoustic btw..
you can strum powerchords like any other chords with any type of pattern you want. They are just chords. A power chord is specifically a chord with just a root, a 5th, and its root again. It still contains 3 notes in it, the reason why its a power chord is that the 3rd note is the same as the root, but a higher octave.

what do you mean by getting stuck? they should be just the same as any other chord.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
A power chord isn't a chord.

All it comes down to is practicing control with you left hand- since most acoustic players are accostomed to full chords, "overstrumming" becomes a habit. Just do it slowly at first and bring it up to tempo.
you should practice muting the strings that you dont want to play, then evenly strum ontop them, that why you can keep the rhythm going without hitting sour notes.

its a practice thing, just keep at it. Youll eventually get your strumming down so you can hit key strings to accentuate your playing.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I generally use mostly down strokes to get a more aggressive, sharp sort of sounding sound.
So mostly its down strokes, with some up strokes as well if things get fast.

It's all about practice. You will get it easily enough.
Also try tuning down to drop D, then you can play a power chord with one finger barred across the top 2 or 3 strings. Thats always fun.

EDIT:
Also try resting the heel of your hand on or around the bridge, sort of as if you are palm muting, but dont mute the strings. Or try anchoring your pinky on the pickguard. It will give your hand a reference to where it is in comparison to the strings.
I anchor a lot with my pinky on the pickguard at times, and rest my pal on the bridge at times. It tends to help, the resting on the bridge really helps when I'm doing some really fast alternate picking.
Last edited by johnos at Feb 15, 2007,
Thanks ... guys ur spot on with the replies exactly wat i wanted to hear.... i thought i didnt make sense but u guys proved smart lol

<goes and gets his guitar>
<starts practising> :P
i like the idea of muting it will make it much easier i think

Ohh one more thing...
Should i use a thicker pick when doing powerchords?
^Seems to me like using a thinner pick might stop you from "getting stuck" as much. I had the same problem when I started playing guitar. Use thinner picks, and commit to the picking. Follow through with it, otherwise you'll stop and get stuck.
Yes, a thinner pick gets you started quicker, but don't lean on it, because personally I found it to be a crutch of sorts. Meaning, it got me going, but once I had the basics down, it slowed me down because it was flip-flopping all over the strings (aexaggerated, but that was pretty much how it got at times) and when I wanted to do some more nuanced strumming, I just found a thicker pick to be more precise. So I can now do the pretty hard-hitting as well as the soft, barely audible strums.

Quote by NotAJock2Day
A power chord isn't a chord.
Well, a basic power chord (a perfect fifth) is not a proper chord, no, but if you add the octave doubling, then yes, it is an acutal chord, which is defined as three or more notes played simultaneously.

Quote by NotAJock2Day
All it comes down to is practicing control with you left hand- since most acoustic players are accostomed to full chords, "overstrumming" becomes a habit. Just do it slowly at first and bring it up to tempo.

This is true of "sittin-round-a-bonfire-and-singing-Oasis-tunes" guitarists, yeah. But there are plenty of acoustic rock songs where you can accentuate and spice up the song with some strumming variations.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by Pikka Bird
Well, a basic power chord (a perfect fifth) is not a proper chord, no, but if you add the octave doubling, then yes, it is an acutal chord, which is defined as three or more notes played simultaneously.

Actually, a power chord is never a chord, not even if you add the octave. It's a common misconception that three notes = a chord, but the truth is a chord require three separate notes to be officially a chord. Octaves don't count.
PErsonally to me IT being a chord or not doesnt change the fact that i will use and they sure as hell sound good on an electric (although dont have one yet)

So i would give a rads ass wat it is..... wat diff does it make...

Im looking for thinner picks and i cant find anything.... MAybe ill get sum the next time in a guitar shop....
Atm having problems doing the upstrokes with the Power Chords
Quote by Sepulamb
PErsonally to me IT being a chord or not doesnt change the fact that i will use and they sure as hell sound good on an electric (although dont have one yet)

So i would give a rads ass wat it is..... wat diff does it make...

No reason to get all pissy, son. Nobody was having a go at you, just someone was trying to explain a bit of theory to another poster, and I was trying to explain a little bit of theory to them. Also, I think you should take a few of those periods and stick them in the right places. Of course....you probably "don't give a rads ass wat punctuation is" either.
find out where you are comfortable when you are doin' power chords

instrument and accessories:
an acoustic w/ no brand (but maybe a cheap LUMANOG guitar) finished to look like a relic (red) w/ "FREE" decal on the headstock

champ 0.9mm picks

buying electric for $10 (any condition, but still functioning)
Last edited by pridomorganiser at Feb 17, 2007,