Basically, I have two options:

1. Get Fender Texas pickups for my 2 year old Squire Strat and buy 2 quality pedals

OR

2. Don't get any pedals, keep saving for quality guitar (eg $1,000 AUS worth)

Will be using a good-quality amp either way (think Blues Jr.)
So, what do you recommend?
Guitar!! I tried pedals through a low end guitar, it put me off playing for at least two years...

You wont get the great tone you want, but if you're new at playing and like the sound out of your guitar, get a better amp, pedals are usually an afterthought
Yeah I'll probably start saving/looking around for a new guitar once I've got the good amp.
get some nice pickups and the amp will cover up some of the tone from the wood.
nice pickups in a mediocore guitar is just as good as stock pickups in a well built guitar.
Quote by The_0thersid3
get some nice pickups and the amp will cover up some of the tone from the wood.
nice pickups in a mediocre guitar is just as good as stock pickups in a well built guitar.

but it still wont play as good as a well built guitar. i'd buy another guitar, squires aren't really worth dumping 200$ pickups into.
Quote by sempri_fi
but it still wont play as good as a well built guitar. i'd buy another guitar, squires aren't really worth dumping 200$ pickups into.

actually, i'm modding my squier and i just recently got the action and playability perfect sooo now im gonna get new pups
Quote by King_Arthur
Gibson guitar = $500 (guess)

Pack of strings = $5

Messing up your guitar with a bass string = Priceless
Quote by zacky gates
actually, i'm modding my squier and i just recently got the action and playability perfect sooo now im gonna get new pups

well yea, anything can be adjusted, but im talking about things like fret dressing, nut adjustments, neck contour, all of that stuff can make or break a guitar. now, ive played squires that were pretty nice, but ive also played squires that really sucked, if you're satisfied with all of the playability stuff, go ahead and drop some pickups in it. isnt like you cant take them out and put them in something different later.

and also consider guitar fetish pickups, they're alot cheaper and they sound awesome, plus the customer service is top notch.