im still a beginner at guitar
and while i do not think im good at all, im doing pretty good for someone whose been playing for 8 months

at the guitar store today, my friend was there and we were in this little room trying out amps. well i was, she was just watching

and i stuffed up literally every song i played. not that i could remember any songs coz they completely erased themselves from my memory. and my hands were sweating and it was ikky.

urgh it was embarrassing to say the least.

i turned the volume right down and played some stuff and got it perfect and did my best to ignore the fact that someone was watching me.

it always seems to happen.

tho sometimes i just go f#ck it and play and dont care at all. this is rare

explanations?
Quote by stabitha
explanations?

Stage fright.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Yea, it's stage fright. I get the same way
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
to be honest, when your at a guitar store, you do forget everything, unless you have specifically prepared something or are very comfortable with playing.

You'll get used to it, honestly, no one cares.
yeah, i always play turned down when trying out amps and guitars lol...

i never remember stuff either.. and yeah i've found for solo performances for school grades i dont do anywhere near 60% of my best...

dont worry about it though... i'm still trying to learn songs100% that i'd actually class a decent... hmm i'm taking a break from metal, and realised if i want to play in a band in a few years doing gigs i'ma need alot of old material and lighter stuff.. which i like anyways:P

but yeah d/w atleast ur not a showoff playing some shit song really loud!
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Yeah i first time i was in guitar center i was like that, but the nxt time when it was extremely crouded i managed to play fine
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Pansy.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Liberchaotica
Yea, it's stage fright. I get the same way

dam i love your picture! back in the day...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
that has happened to everyone

And furthermore: Every guitar player was new to the instrument once, and most of us still remember it.
Stage fright dude, just don't worry about it, I had a nightmare 2 weeks ago. Was helping a friend out with a gig in the hard rock cafe....she handed me the guitar (i didnt start the set, i came on later) and straight away i started playing, and it wasnt working (acoustic it was) so after fiddling around for a few minutes we found that the lead wasn't in properly, so we get about a minute into the song, it pops out again, i now cant hear myself and i mess up as she leans accross me to knock it back in. i then say "oh ffs" into the microphone (accidently) which blasts around the whole place, then the lead popped out again and finally after putting it back in it stayed in.

That my friend is embarrising lol so don't worry about messing up the store, the best thing to do is think of a few songs for you to play before you head in there. Take a song from each style you play (metal, blues, punk whatever) and go through them one by one, also don't make them too technical, just do simple stuff.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by kyrreca
that has happened to everyone

And furthermore: Every guitar player was new to the instrument once, and most of us still remember it.

None of us more experienced guitarists expect a youngster to kick ass when trying out gear. Besides, most new guitars still have crappy intonation, fret buzz, etc.., so they sound kind of off in anyone's hands. I usually don't bother trying to show off when trying out gear, just play a few different styles to get a feel for the amp's capabilities, then move on until I find something I like.............

And then, of course, I start showing off LOL!!! J/K

Well, actually I DO start showing off if there's hot chicks around.
Quote by LesPaulPwns
Well, actually I DO start showing off if there's hot chicks around.

Thats the way it has to be done it's the un-written law of guitarists...hot chicks = time to show off
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
To be one with the guitar in the guitar store, face the fright of the stage one must.
Quote by stabitha
explanations?

I've got an explanation: You've only been playing for 8 months.
I used to be a necropheliac who was into sadomasochistic bestiality...

...'til I realized I was just beating a
dead horse.
Don't worry, you're probably not used to playing in front of people, and you've not been playing long either, you'll improve, trust me.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I was at a jam night last year, and my hand went all Marty McFly on me...couldn't play shit! Happens to everyone no matter how long you've been playing, but it's always difficult to play in public if you've not been playing long. You shouldn't worry about showing off in guitar shops though, that's only for people with small penises.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
cowboy up little fella - the only thing that seperates you from Dimebag or Clapton or Randy Rhodes is PRACTICE. We've all been there - PRACTICE till it hurts. Some guys decide to become a Doctor - they go to school and STUDY. Same thing with Lawyers - they study for years and they eventually become a Lawyer - PRACTICE then PRACTICE more - if it's gonna come it will - but it's all about "string time"... how much time you spend on them strings! I've been playing for over 40 years - most of it on mind-altering crap - or I might have made it - smoke loads of weed and you'll be content just bedroom-wankin' or jammin' with other stoners. I sound great to me but apparently I DON"T MATTER or I'd be gettin' paid to do it and not having to Paint houses for a living 'eh!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
You shouldn't worry about showing off in guitar shops though, that's only for people with small penises.

HAHA ^

TS you need to call people into the room when u practice.

have mom or dad watch u play, then add the family dog, an aunt, and then some friends.
when friends come over, force urself on them. play a song in front of anyone who comes into the house.

open the window and play for the garbage man.

the more u do it, the more u realize no one is really paying that much attention.
even if they were, i doubt they could tell how good u are anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Hawaii69
I've got an explanation: You've only been playing for 8 months.

There you go...lol. I always lock up in the guitar store, too...and I've been playing for a long time. I always turn to the good old Minor (or major) Pentatonic scale
You can make magic within that scale when you improvise.
i think everyone has been through this. the best trick for the guitar store is to 1) turn the amp down, so you don't feel uncomfortable; 2) play some scales or simple chromatic runs because it will sound as though you are just running the guitar through some basic tests, but more importantly it will warm up your playing hands; and 3) once you're comfortable and warmed up, pull off a few riffs on quiet and then turn it up a bit (if you want to, that is).
MOST IMPORTANTLY: practice every day.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!