Hey, new here and I was wondering if it's even worth it to mod a squire p bass. Also i've never modded anything before so any help would be greatly appreicated.

-thanks, Lizard
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future is uncertain and the end is always near. - The Doors, Roadhouse Blues
Modding Sqiers depends on one thing, the body wood. If it's a decent tonewood (not too sure on what's good for basses but Basswood and Mahogany seem to work well from the basses I've recorded) then there's a good chance that some new pickups and pots could just give you a nice little guitar. Not worth pouring your life savings into but good if you just want to make an average bass into a solid bass.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Modding Sqiers depends on one thing, the body wood. If it's a decent tonewood (not too sure on what's good for basses but Basswood and Mahogany seem to work well from the basses I've recorded) then there's a good chance that some new pickups and pots could just give you a nice little guitar. Not worth pouring your life savings into but good if you just want to make an average bass into a solid bass.

Excellent advice. Plus, you'd learn a lot about your guitar in the process.

Buy one of those inexpensive $8 soldering iron kits from RadioShack and practice soldering and de-soldering before you even attempt it on your PBass. You'll need it to dis-assemble your PUs and jack and switch, etc. from the wiring harness prior to painting or staining.

For refinishing basics, check out:

ReRanch 101 - Finishing Basics.

and

Project Guitar Tutorials.

Also, look at the various modding/building threads here or check out compulsive modders' sigs - they have links to their mods or builds. When you do start your project, make a thread and post lots of pics. If you're actually working on a project instead of just asking questions, lots of savvy people will answer your questions. Good Luck!

Hmm well i'm gonna consider it, but more than likely it'll have to wait awhile until i get a job lol. Thanks for the advice and when i start it i'll definitely put up alot of pics. ANd the dev, the doors rock man. \m/
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future is uncertain and the end is always near. - The Doors, Roadhouse Blues