BIG PROBLEM!
My bands keyboardist stinks. Hey cant play by ear and doesnt listen. Im afraid my band will die away if he stays! Here's the problem...he is my best friend. HELP!!!!
Why does he have to play by ear? Can't he sight-read? If not, then why not just have a guitarist or bassist run through the notes for the keyboard bit with him, since I'm guessing he doesn't write those parts himself.

The keyboard player in the band with me can't sight-read, but he can play by ear - somewhat. We still run through parts with him during practice. Not every song calls for a keyboard, though, so we've got a laptop running ACID sitting next to his keyboard, and he handles all the weird electronic noises for us, too.

you could work with him extra and tell him the straight up, that you need him to improve to stay in the band, also, talk with your other bandmates, and see if they feel the same way, maybe ur overreacting
You failed to mention more about him. Is he a beginner or classically trained? I have to work with post classically trained and non-trained players a lot. With classically trained people, you have to work with them differently. Some of them won't play a note until all their questions are answered about how a piece should be played.

If he just sucks, then mention something to him and do like the others suggested and try to work with him. You'll have to give him the sack otherwise.

Also never get in a band with your best friend again either. I have a rule now where I will only join bands with people I don't know or are acquitances.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Just have him listen to himself.... always works for me.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Um dude, most keyboardists cant play by ear, same with guitar players normaly. If you can play by ear as a guitarist or anything your pretty good. Keyboardists requires music, like notes so he knows how fast to play, what to do etc. You have to remember that as guitarists normaly memorise how to play something most piano or keyboard players have there music in front of them, which isnt a problem is it? Just get him the music
Quote by Dutch_Apples
You failed to mention more about him. Is he a beginner or classically trained? I have to work with post classically trained and non-trained players a lot. With classically trained people, you have to work with them differently. Some of them won't play a note until all their questions are answered about how a piece should be played.

If he just sucks, then mention something to him and do like the others suggested and try to work with him. You'll have to give him the sack otherwise.

Also never get in a band with your best friend again either. I have a rule now where I will only join bands with people I don't know or are acquitances.

ya he is a classical player