I'm getting a head for my 18th, I currently play through a Marshall 250DFX... and I hate it with a strong passion (As most of you probably do too!).
I was planning on getting a Peavey Valve King, But there is a big issue over here at the moment with there being none whatsoever in the country. I'll have to wait 'til the end of March for one, Apparently. So I thought I'd come on here and see what anyone else recommends, so I can go and try one out.

I'm into a lot of music really so I want something kind of all round, but I mainly play post hardcore / hard rock type stuff at home, But in my band we play a bit alternative, I guess it's like Biffy Clyro / Foo Fighters / Bit of a mix to be honest, Can't really catagorize it at the moment.

So any recommendations?

Cheers

*EDIT*
Should add that I'm looking for something around £300/$600 ish, But still recommend anything a bit above these prices because I will look into it.
Last edited by Deadbolt[UK] at Feb 15, 2007,
MAYBE a JCM 900 or 2000? i have no idea how much these cost though...apparantly the VK has reliability issues too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The Vox Valvetronix are nice and you could always ask your gf for head...

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
You can get the Marshall AVT 150 and the Vox AD 100VTH picture
Vox AD 100VTH Hybrids for under 300.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
For another 100 pounds you could get the Marshall DSL401 combo, I know it's more expensive than you were planning but I think it is also available as a head.
Well neither of them are all tube. So they're gonna have a solid state sound. But TBH i think it sounded alright when i played one. But i definately think the Vox is much nice because of it's modelling technology.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Do you want the 300 to include a cabinet too cos that could get tighter than a nuns vagina?
Quote by shav0r
Do you want the 300 to include a cabinet too cos that could get tighter than a nuns vagina?

Nono, I'll be getting the cab a few weeks later!
Are you looking for a cheap tube or just a cheap head?

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by BodaciousBob
Are you looking for a cheap tube or just a cheap head?

Really just a cheap head, But something that sounds decent considering it's price. I'll be competing with a VoxAC30 during gigs so..
Quote by steven seagull
This is still bargain of the year....

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Fallen-Angel---Guitar-Stack~ID~5681.asp

That looks good. But if you just want cheap http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-fm-100-head/67944

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Heh, My parents are giving me around 300 so I'd rather spend all of it on something a little better, I'll have a play on some stuff tomorrow.
I'd advise you to get a good combo because you'll be able to get a better combo with the money. Plus they're a lot less hastle.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by BodaciousBob
That looks good. But if you just want cheap http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-fm-100-head/67944

He's better off with tube!!!

Also the fallen Angel with the cab IS a brilliant deal!! Would highly recommend that!!
also Jcm900s go for around £350 on ebay so if you eanna push that little extra for it! But at that you would have to pay extra for a cab, and thats why the Fallen Angel is such a good deal!!
Well Valve Kings are only mediocre amps anyway, so a Marshall would be better or an Ashdown!
The AVT isnt a good amp, THB. Ashdown Fallen Angels are nice though, for the price. I would say to try and get a used JCM900. THey rock.
Jcm900 4100 or some sort of jcm800. If you sell the mg, there are jcm 1/2 stacks secong hand for around £500 (I saw a dsl100 and marshall 4x12 in the back of a guitar mag for £465). Always keep an eye on www.loot.com, and ebay can be pretty handy if you scour it for cheap 'buy it now's' on used heads. Also, Laney make some pretty nice tube heads... not sure if they're under budget, but sell the mg for around £150 and look used... unless you're planning on using it as a cab, which is a TERRIBLE idea.

Good luck

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Sorted.
They ordered me a VK. Be here in 2 weeks, Which is nice
Thanks a lot for all the help peeps, Much appreciated!