Hey guys, I've just sold my horrid MG250DFX. In order not to end up with ANOTHER shitty amp, I thought I'd canvass for some opinions from you lot.
I've got about £400 ($800) and all I know is I want a tube amp. Despite my experience with the MG, I still want a Marshall. These are the amps that seem to be popping up on eBay in my price range:

JCM900 4501
JCM600H (I'd have enough left over for a 1936 2x12')
JCM2000 DSL401
MF350H (wouldn't have enough for the MF412 cab - it'd have to be with a 1936, so I guess I wouldn't be able to turn it up past 3 )
JCM900 4102
JCM900 SL-X H(100w) (again, with the 1936)
There are lots of AVT150/275s in this price range - but I'm doing the right thing by avoiding these aren't I?

Any recommendations? I play in a band - the other guitarist has the JCM900 4102. We play Smashing Pumpkins/Nine Black Alps/QOTSA/Foo Fighters. Y'know, rock basically...
Most of the places we play will have a PA, but some won't. We played a pub last month (about 50 people in audience) which didn't and the MG was easily loud enough. Is this down to it being 2x12? Would the DSL401 or the 4501 have coped?

I nearly bid on a MF350H which went for £250 ($500) yesterday, but after learning it's not all-tube but a hybrid, I decided not to. Mistake?

Thanks in advance guys
(and apologies for posting this twice, but I NEED advice and quickly - I promise not to do it again)
Last edited by blindmaninchain at Feb 15, 2007,
A DSL401 would do the trick, but you shouldn't limit yourself to Marshalls - have a look at some of the Laneys, and also the Ashdown Fallen Angels.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi blindmaninchain,

Our guitarist has just purchased a Peavey ValveKing® 212 Combo and is the sweetest sounded amp with perfect Crunch, Clean and Hi Gain channels. They cost around £400, so go and try one at your local Peavey dealer.

Regards,

Kevin Patrick Ryan, Bassist for Temperance.
www.myspace.com/temperancerock
i agree that you shouldn't limit yourself to marshalls. there're a lot better tones out there that are a lot cheaper just because it doesn't say marshall or mesa on it. for smashing pumpkins and qotsa, a marshall's going to be too trebly anyway. here're some suggestions you might want to look into:

first of all, look into getting an Avatar cab. they're really good and really cheap. they don't ship to the UK, but you can find them on ebay fairly easily. as far as amps go, check these out...

1. Sovtek Mig60 (the most underrated rock amp in the world, IMO)

2. Fender Bassman (that with a Big Muff is the exact Gish tone. add a Fuzz Face and you're in queens of the stone age territory. crank it and you've got your foo fighters, 9 black alps)

3. Fender Prosonic (the best of fender cleans and marshall-eque high gain but with more low end response)

4. Peavey VTM 60 (single channel, but great tone. kim thaylil of soundgarden used these live and in studio)

5. Carvin MTS3200 (all around great sounding, do-just-about-anything amp)

check those options out and see if you like anything. if you're stuck on marshall, though, the dsl401 is your best bet.
The DSL401 getting a few shouts here - would it cope with gigs without a PA (as described in my original post)? I only ask as I know some people say you need a 2x12 if you don't have a PA. Thanks for all the replies so far!
i was told in one of my topics, if your other guitarist is playing through a half stack, and you're playing through a combo he will totally throw you out of the mix, so you will need to hook it up to a PA. I'd save up a bit more and maybe get a DSL? but it depends how much you can/want to save
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by BloodBlooms
a dsl 2x12 should be plenty loud for a small club gig with no PA. if you're worried about it, though, i still recommend looking into Avatar cabs.

That DSL401 is only a 1x12. Or did you mean get a DSL head and a 2x12 cab?
doesn't marshall make a dsl 2x12 combo? i know they make a tsl 2x12. if you're talking about getting a 401 for use in a band situation with another guitarist, you'll get lost. a 2x12 has a chance at pushing through and a 2x12 with an extension cab would be no problem, but a 1x12--even with an extension--is only pushing out 30-50 watts. you'll compromise your tone cranking it up loud enough to be heard
Quote by blindmaninchain

I nearly bid on a MF350H which went for £250 ($500) yesterday, but after learning it's not all-tube but a hybrid, I decided not to. Mistake?

not a mistake. those are awful
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by korinaflyingv
Try a Laney VC30 2x12. Awesome amps for rock: great cleans and great crunch, but you'll need to crank it hard and/or boost it to get heavy tones. IMO much better than a dsl, and also cheaper: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-212/378

There is someone selling a VC30 1x12 with the matching Laney 1x12 for £350 or best offer on eBay. I'm tempted to offer him £300.
But then I see Thomann are selling ValveKing 212s for £333. That is a bargain, not much more than a MG250!
Quote by blindmaninchain
There is someone selling a VC30 1x12 with the matching Laney 1x12 for £350 or best offer on eBay. I'm tempted to offer him £300.
But then I see Thomann are selling ValveKing 212s for £333. That is a bargain, not much more than a MG250!

No! You are better off getting the VC-30 212!
Just the the VC-30 212 for new! For an extra £10 (on to the £350) you are getting a guarantee and will be new on GAK!!
Quote by blindmaninchain

The Valveking is Peavey's cheapie line. I would not consider it. I don't like their sound, and reliability is a major concern. If you were in the States, I'd recommend Peavey's Windsor over the Marshall, for a good amp at a great price. Don't think you're getting the same deal over there, though. Where you are, that Laney's probably a great deal. I always suggest buying used, you get much more for your money that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laney VC30, Marshall JCM900 combo, Marshall JCM800 combo, Marshall DSL401(not as nice as the other 2 though)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by False_God
^ Not when the price of a used one is nearly the same as a new one..

Same amp? I guess I'll give you that!

The eBay's a "Best Offer," maybe he can do better. The 1x12 combo coupled with the 1x12 cab gives him a little more versatility than the 2x12 combo, too. Easier travel, and a cab lying around to hook into another head in the future. For similar money, that's the route I'd probably go.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I know I'm being a right royal pain in the arse (hey, it's not easy for someone as indecisive as me with all this choice!), but to clarify -

Would that Laney VC30 1x12 with the 1x12 extension cab be loud enough considering
1 - My bandmate has a Marshall JCM900 4102 (100w 2x12)
2 - We sometimes play gigs where there is no PA.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all your replies
If the bandmate doesn't have his JCM900 stupidly loud. But you'll need yours loud in order to cut through the mix.
And why not get the 2x12 VC30?

And of course, you're going to try these out aren't you?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
IDK, but i think that peavey have a good product.

If you can afford one i might suggest that you get a soldano, or H&K. probab;y not, though, so check out some peaveys.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by korinaflyingv
The Laney is MUCH MUCH better than the valveking!

+ 1.

Check out the laney valve amps on www.thomann.de the prices on there are great. See if you can find a used VH100R cos they are the dogs balls of there stuff.

I blew up a VK after playing it for about 5 - 10 mins on moderate volumes. I even let the valves heat up for aaaaaages just to be safe. So I wouldn't reccomend one, but they do sound pretty good!
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I just won a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 on eBay for £440 ($858)

Thanks for all the advice, but I decided to spend more on the amp and not eat for a month.

Cheers!
Quote by BloodBlooms
good on ya!

Thanks man, you put some really interesting alternatives my way, but in the end I'm too much of a sucker for that Marshall logo (for better or worse)!