i just broke my e-string, and ive never bought bass strings before,
Whats a good brand of string with a lot of durability?
I use Ernie Ball, cheaper than some and hasn't got a bad tone. Though I do keep meaning to try the DR. Next time I buy some strings, perhaps.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Ernie Ball Hybrid are a good choice sound wise and are cost effective. DRs are going to put you back a bit more but sound wonderful.
ive seen 2 e's break before.

but d'addario strings are great for the price, they will be cheaper than others (i get mine for 19 bucks for a 5 string set)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Rotosound have amazing tone, a bit rough on the fingers though. I can live with that, it's worth it for superior tone.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
It's not actually all that hard to break an E string - because if the wound part breaks then you've got a weak spot and the core will break there straight away.
Warwick
I really like the feel and tone, though I havn't tried many others at all (Been playing about 2 hours a day for 2 1/2 years and ive never changed a string)
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
i had warwick EXP(?) strings on my bass, at the time, they were in beta, so i tested them, and they were great, lasted me 11 months, with a soaking in denatured alcohol. so i went to look them up later, they were 50 dollars. other than the price, they are nice
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I recommend ernie balls, i love mine, ive tried rotosound, fender, d'addario and elites and the EB's are the best i've played. I must try DR's to see what i'm missing out on though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ernie Balls ftw. They are awesome. I like D'addario's tho too.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Get some STAINLESS STEEL STRINGS! They sound the best, last the longest. They also build callusses (which is a good thing). All the cool kids use them.

Nickel strings are for wimps!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) HOW THE HELL DO YOU BREAK AN E STRING?

I broke a low B string. I'm retarded and got it to kink in two directions around the tuning key by mistake. =\
honestly, experiment with what you want.

I feel in love with the stock strings on my ibanez, but i broke a D string, experimented with the tone vs. finger strain debate and went with a set of DR flatwound thick gauges.

do i miss the ultra high tones and attack from the roundwounds, yes.
DO i have a tone that sounds like a thick steak cooked medium rare, yes.

as long as it's a big(er) name brand, go with what you like, or
what you feel like blowing 30$ on

-DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by DiabloCoche
honestly, experiment with what you want.

I feel in love with the stock strings on my ibanez, but i broke a D string, experimented with the tone vs. finger strain debate and went with a set of DR flatwound thick gauges.

do i miss the ultra high tones and attack from the roundwounds, yes.
DO i have a tone that sounds like a thick steak cooked medium rare, yes.

as long as it's a big(er) name brand, go with what you like, or
what you feel like blowing 30$ on

-DC

thats the thing, the cost so damn much i wanted to know that what i was getting wouldnt break in like a week, i use Ernie Ball slinkys (10-46) on my guitar, so i might go with Ernie Ball for the bass
what is the "standard" gauge for bass strings?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) HOW THE HELL DO YOU BREAK AN E STRING?

2) DR=amazing.

1) i was trying to learn a slayer tune so i was using a pick, and it broke right on the bridge saddle, so im going to assume i was picking too hard (i had this problem when i started playing guitar too, i went through e-strings by the dozen)

2.) thanks
Standard Ernies I believe go from .105-.050.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Standard Ernies I believe go from .105-.050.

Ok standards are from 105 - 50
Hybrids 105 - 45
Super Slinkys 100 - 45 (started out on these, but switched to the Hybrids)

EB also makes power slinkys 110 - 55.

EDIT: Anyone tried the GHS ISBM5000 Infinity Steel Red Coated Bass Strings? I am getting a free set as a part of another order.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 15, 2007,
105? damn! if thats standard, then whats considered beefy?

oh and i like to tune down, but i use E-tuning a lot, so im looking for something that wont go to hell if i tune to Db and wont in turn be way to tense for E-tuning
No, .105 is a good tension for standard. .110 is heavy, but it was standard on my Jazz. The .110 had better tension, but I found it a bit too thick feeling, so I use a .105.

Actually, the gauges .110 .85 .70 .50 are much more balanced than the usual .105 .85 .70 .50 tension-wise.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i use Dean Markley Blue Steel (med-light)

i used to write stuff in Db and jam to some Kyuss and they were fine, little loose and relaxed, but it handled it really well. Still stayed in tune and what not.

the gauges are- .105 - .045
Hey, there even exist .115 E strings!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
ok, ive got the strings (EB regular Slinkies,) so how the hell do i put this thing on the bass?
I would recommend taking and doing one string at a time so that the neck tension stays. Remember I am no guru at this but this is how I did it.
(This is assuming you have the regular Mexican fender styled bridge with the strings coming out the back of it. And a Mexican fender styled bass basically)

1) Loosen the E-string all the way until you slip it out the back of the bridge.
2) Feed the new one in the hole with the little bead thing on the outside
3) Stretch the string up to the tuning holder thingy(don't you love these technical terms) and give the string quite a bit of slack. I cut it usually three to four inches after the holder or you can not cut it at all and just go straight to 4. Remember if you're going to cut it make sure to cut it about 1 inch longer than you think you'll need. You can always cut more off later.
4) Stick the end of the string in the hole on the holder thing, wrap it around onto the thing that spins around to the left so it's ready to be wound
5) Hold the string out to the left of the bass and pull as hard as you can(within reason) and start winding.
6) Wind into tune.
7) There should be about 3 wraps around the holder thingy.
8) Do the same steps for all the strings.
9) Now pull on all strings out away from the neck as if you were doing some major pop (don't break them!) and then tune again. You might need to repeat this a couple times.

That's hard to explain over the internets.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Feb 17, 2007,