ok i thought this idea was worth a thread.

a friend of mine humps this guys legs. i've never really been in to anything like Bowie but she sent me 4 whole songs and i listened to them. now i really liked it. but in a weird way, i really liked the lyrics. especially on Space Oddity and Life on Mars? i thought it was great. but when listening to them like the 3rd or 4th time round i started thinking about what it would be like if a metal band covered them. i thought it would be good because i really like the lyrics, but the music kind of ruins some of the moods and thought it could be done better.

i thought maybe if some metal band covered it i thought it would be amazing. i'll probably never know but still.

has anyone else ever thought of maybe some classic artists or songs that are amazing but you feel the music could be done better or certain things like that?

Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
The Man Who Sold The World, Bowies version is good, but when Nirvana played it acoustic, they perfected it..... strangely enough I strongly dislike Nirvana.

edit* I know nirvana isnt metal, but i thought it was relevent.
Quote by dumps
ok i thought this idea was worth a thread.

a friend of mine humps this guys legs. i've never really been in to anything like Bowie but she sent me 4 whole songs and i listened to them. now i really liked it. but in a weird way, i really liked the lyrics. especially on Space Oddity and Life on Mars? i thought it was great. but when listening to them like the 3rd or 4th time round i started thinking about what it would be like if a metal band covered them. i thought it would be good because i really like the lyrics, but the music kind of ruins some of the moods and thought it could be done better.

i thought maybe if some metal band covered it i thought it would be amazing. i'll probably never know but still.

has anyone else ever thought of maybe some classic artists or songs that are amazing but you feel the music could be done better or certain things like that?

no it would not be cool, it would be lame. Bowie is something no one can cover well so, no be quite

just play some old classics in your own metal style to see what they might sound like. i tried that with a load of The Doors stuff.... it sounded shite so i quit and stuck to metal songs as metal and classics as they were played.
Good idea, but those Bowie songs you said, especially Life On Mars, are near enough perfect, and covering them would ruin them, although I agree with Dennmetal, Nirvanas version of The Man Who Sold The World is much better.
"Their fate is in each others hands as they decide whether to share... or to shaft"
Robert Kilroy-Silk from his sadly shortlived quiz-show Shafted.

Member Number 7 of the Frank Zappa Appreciation Club. PM chocolatguitar to join.
Quote by Doolittle
no it would not be cool, it would be lame. Bowie is something no one can cover well so, no be quite

Have to disagree there dude, Bauhaus' cover of Ziggy Stardust was great.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Have to disagree there dude, Bauhaus' cover of Ziggy Stardust was great.

well i didn't think the threadstarter would know about Bauhaus! but that version of Ziggy is indeed my favorite, i think it's better cause it's more darker

Quote by The Powerslave
Good idea, but those Bowie songs you said, especially Life On Mars, are near enough perfect, and covering them would ruin them, although I agree with Dennmetal, Nirvanas version of The Man Who Sold The World is much better.

yes i agree life on mars doesn't need to be changed its perfect the way it is.

but i deffo feel that Space Oddity could be done way better, i really do. musically i mean, vocals are good. just i feel there could be more... omph i guess.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
metal bowie songs? with over distorted downstrokes covering the melodies, double head drums ruining the rythims and gutural voice ruining bowie's? *vomits*
Quote by Doolittle
well i didn't think the threadstarter would know about Bauhaus! but that version of Ziggy is indeed my favorite, i think it's better cause it's more darker

I haven't really gotten into Bowie yet, but I do prefer the cover... that's mainly because I'm a Bauhaus freak!

Korn covered Space Oddity

I wouldn't be surprised if Manson did a cover, he's got too many covers for his own good...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I haven't really gotten into Bowie yet, but I do prefer the cover... that's mainly because I'm a Bauhaus freak!

Korn covered Space Oddity

I wouldn't be surprised if Manson did a cover, he's got too many covers for his own good...

Peter Murphy got alot of influnece from Bowie, you'd like it, you'd really like thw work he did with Brian Eno it's my favorite, i guess you can say it's like "Proto-New Wave" it's very good and very influnece to the stuff you listen too

Quote by dennmetal
The Man Who Sold The World, Bowies version is good, but when Nirvana played it acoustic, they perfected it..... strangely enough I strongly dislike Nirvana.

edit* I know nirvana isnt metal, but i thought it was relevent.

I love their version too.
I had a friend in high school who worshiped Bowie. At the time, I never really understood the appeal. I was fairly impartial to it overall.

As time went on and I went back and listened to albums like Sound and Vision, Hunky Dory and more of his older stuff and fell in love with it. Hunky Dory was pure genius. Between Life on Mars, Queen Bitch, Quicksand... The whole album is amazing.

With an artist like Bowie who's been around for so long and redefined his sound so many times throughout the years, you really do have to give it all a chance because I'm sure you'll find something you will enjoy.

On that note, check out the soundtrack to Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. There is a Brazilian artist in the movie who is just chillin' the whole time covering Bowie songs on an acoustic guitar. All the songs are sung in Portuguese. It's really good stuff.

Bauhaus did a really good cover of Ziggy Stardust, too.

I personally wouldn't think his stuff wouldn't lend itself to metal, but I could be wrong.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Ibanez S-470 with Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6
Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
Quote by Doolittle
Peter Murphy got alot of influnece from Bowie, you'd like it, you'd really like thw work he did with Brian Eno it's my favorite, i guess you can say it's like "Proto-New Wave" it's very good and very influnece to the stuff you listen too

Yeah I know, which is the reason why I checked him out, but I dunno... I'll try again soon.
David Bowie = Perfection. Don't mess with perfection.
<Han> I love Hitler
i Adore David Bowie.
Quote by guitarguy17
i hate after having anal intercourse with another man they try to cuddle with you, like wtf, are they gay?

On that note, check out the soundtrack to Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. There is a Brazilian artist in the movie who is just chillin' the whole time covering Bowie songs on an acoustic guitar. All the songs are sung in Portuguese. It's really good stuff.

That is one of my favorite things about that movie.

Oh yeah, David Bowie= Kick Ass
David Bowie + Metal= Buttsex
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Quote by Doolittle

I dunno, man, my band does a pretty righteous Ziggy Stardust
Anyway, where in the hell do you get that the music ruins the mood of Life On Mars? There is nothing wrong with that song. At all. I always put it on when I've got too much to deal with and I need to go some place alone. Mostly because of the Life Aquatic.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I want to see the vampire flick The Hunger, in which David Bowie played the lead male role.

Mainly to see Bauhaus perform Bela Lugosi's Dead in it, though.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I want to see the vampire flick The Hunger, in which David Bowie played the lead male role.

Mainly to see Bauhaus perform Bela Lugosi's Dead in it, though.

that sounds really cool!

It does, don't it?

They had several copies of it in a local store, but they were kinda expensive, and now they're gone...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085701/

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's this meh 80s teen horror movie called Night of the Demons... in the only interesting scene in it, this Goth chick gets possessed whilst doing an interpretative dance to Stigmata Martyr.
Quote by raise_the_dead

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085701/

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's this meh 80s teen horror movie called Night of the Demons... in the only interesting scene in it, this Goth chick gets possessed whilst doing an interpretative dance to Stigmata Martyr.

it said Nipple is a plot keyword, but anyways i'm going to buy that movie, i mean when do you ever see Bauhaus?!
ever see this?

Whoah that's amazing... thanks for sharing.
I don't see the point in having some metal band covering Bowie.

His lyrics and style are completely different than a metal band and you really can't emulate his music in a harder kind of way, mainly because his greats don't even fit metal music
Sent from my iPad.