ok, heres my problem.

I have a Charvel Model 5 (30 years old) with original jackson stock pickups, and the Neck Pickup is amazingly nice. I just bought a Jackson DK2, with Seymour duncans, and i hate the sound of the neck pickup.

My style is mainly powermetal/shred metal. so i need the neck pickup mainly for 'Sweep arpeggios' and shred.

Im tempted to buy a jackson stock Single coil for it, but if theres a pickup that woudl suit me better, id rather get it.

It needs to be a single coil. for a Shred metal guitar.

Ive heard good things about EMG 81, 85, and a few Bare Knuckles caught my eye.

But yeh please recommend good hi gain shred solo pickups.

Thanks

Alex

Also check out my band if u want! Isle of Avalon
Last edited by alexanderdulac at Feb 15, 2007,
Yeah dude look into EMG, i recently got a schecter with seymour duncans and its just not cutting it. But im looking into EMG which i heard have a beast of tone.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
hmm yeh, its just ive always felt emgs just arent special enough, but if they are that good maybe i should?
thing is you would really need to go for the active set
but that mean yo uahve to have your other pups active aswell
yeah dude how bout some ADVICE on pickups... but here let me ADVISE you.... EMG is gonna give lots of feedback but as for bare knucks... they kick lots of booty for most types of music (metal in particular)
haha sorry about typo! lol, yeh im not really after feedback, i want clean cut but distorted leads. and im cool going active, as long as i get that (Petrucci/Malmsteen/Turilli) Tone. Bare knuckle sent me a demo and it did sound sweet
Single coil? Then EMG 81,85,60 and most Bareknuckles (Nailbomb, Miracle Man, Rebel Yell, Warpig, etc) are out of the question.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Quote by meatloin
yeah dude how bout some ADVICE on pickups... but here let me ADVISE you.... EMG is gonna give lots of feedback but as for bare knucks... they kick lots of booty for most types of music (metal in particular)

Lots of feedback? Erm... no more than any other pickup. Depends on where you're standing in relation to the amp. EMG's are good, but the Single coil EMG's don't really cut it for shred tones i find.

However, I highly reccomend the Dimarzio Air Norton S. It's the single coil version of the Air Norton and damn, is this a great pickup! It's quite harmonic, full sounding and provides a nice bite. John Petrucci made the humbucker version popular, and this is very very similar.

If you don't like that there's always the Dimarzio HS-3. Check www.dimarzio.com for info and soundclips. From your descriptions, you are almost certainly describing a Dimarzio pickup.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Ah yes, but bareknuckle do singlecoils ie (Trilogy Suite -Malmsteen) (Irish Tour) etcetc
My Gear
Guitars
Jackson DK-2
Jackson RR3
Charvel Model 5

Equipment
Line 6 Spider II 150 Watt Stack
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah
Samson Stage 55 Wireless System
hahah thanks to the above one, i kind of want the Petrucci tone, but ill check out both sets, its ****ing annoying that the pickup has to be a single, but thats the way life is lol!
My Gear
Guitars
Jackson DK-2
Jackson RR3
Charvel Model 5

Equipment
yeah i guess its not that much more feedback, but it bothers me... i didnt notice your lookin for single coils... dimarzio is a nice choice, if your just lookin for a good lead tone, you can look at the hot rails from seymour duncan, they are good for lead, but arent gonna cut it for your metal or shred rythm sessions...
hmm ill use my bridge for the pinches, and general metal sections, but for the crazy arpeggios demonic fast classical solos, im thinkin DiMarzio maybe the way to go
My Gear
Guitars
Jackson DK-2
Jackson RR3
Charvel Model 5

Equipment
^^I use a Hot Rails bridge pickup in my Alder tele and i get great metal/modern hard rock rhythm tones out of it. Admittedly i run it through a 5150, but hey...

TS, you could always do some routing and make a cavity big enough for a humbucker. Or have a luthier do it. IMO the best way to go is a Dimarzio mini-bucker like the AN or HS series.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 15, 2007,
im liking the Air Norton S, depends how muich it sounds like the humbucker version tho lol, gawd pickups are soo ahrd to choose!
My Gear
Guitars
Jackson DK-2
Jackson RR3
Charvel Model 5

Equipment
Well, you could take the dive on a Dimarzio, and worst case scenario: if you don't like it, Dimarzio offer a 30 day return policy on their pickups.
Quote by Qazxs
ooh even better! lol, yeh, i could never fall inlove with a sound more then John Petruccis lol,. thanks for all the help guys!
My Gear
Guitars
Jackson DK-2
Jackson RR3
Charvel Model 5

Equipment
Quote by meatloin
EMG is gonna give lots of feedback

EMGs are a lot more quiet than passive pickups....

As for single coil neck pickups...maybe a HotRails neck?