there has been an ongoing battle between the two. what is better? how are they different, how are they alike? which do you like better? i actually favor old metal because that is what i grew up on. ok let me hear this, i want your opinion on who you think began the whole "metal" scene?
"part your lips a bit more, ill swallow your fear"
New metal. They have old metal as an influence, so they have the opportunity to learn Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden songs in the first week they play. Hell I could play "Sunshine of Your Love" after my second bass lesson. If I want to become a metal great, I can practise Cannibal Corpse music, and become so good at it that it's normal speed for me. Then when I make my own songs, I could go from the first fret to the 24th fret in no time. And I mean, if you went back in time and showed Jimi Hendrix some Children of Bodom solo, he'd be like "HOLY ****!"

No disrespect to the old metal, because I personally like it more, but the new metal is better because the artists have more opportunity.
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!
You guys need to learn actual genre terms.

Secondly, the guy above me really seems to know a lot less than he thinks. "Sunshine of your love" being metal? lol...
Quote by TheSnow
New metal. They have old metal as an influence, so they have the opportunity to learn Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden songs in the first week they play. Hell I could play "Sunshine of Your Love" after my second bass lesson. If I want to become a metal great, I can practise Cannibal Corpse music, and become so good at it that it's normal speed for me. Then when I make my own songs, I could go from the first fret to the 24th fret in no time. And I mean, if you went back in time and showed Jimi Hendrix some Children of Bodom solo, he'd be like "HOLY ****!"

No disrespect to the old metal, because I personally like it more, but the new metal is better because the artists have more opportunity.

That part made your post worth of nothing more then a laugh.

Cream are metal?
What the hell is ****ed up with you?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by metal_for_life
there has been an ongoing battle between the two.
Not really. Everyone who likes metal at least likes old metal. Only part of the metal populace likes new metal a well.
im mainly an old metal kind of person. some new metal is kewl tho. yawn put what i said in a quote. lol.
"part your lips a bit more, ill swallow your fear"
Quote by BassistGal
That part made your post worth of nothing more then a laugh.

Cream are metal?
What the hell is ****ed up with you?

lol To be honest, I don't really know what I was thinking...

However, the example isn't as important as the point, and I still don't see you guys proving my point wrong.
That's me, bitch!
Old metal is heavy but slower, new metal is "i wanna be the fastest". Compare the first couple Sabbath or Judas Priest albums to new metal. 'nuff said.
I want 'tallica back I remember getting ...And Justice For All from a friend of mine on a cassete (this is USSR I'm talking about). Damn, those were the times!!!
for rent
I dunno, maybe that guy who said about them learning Sunshine of Your Love meant people in the 70's learnt it before playing metal? Sort of like how 80s guys played Sabbath. I personally think old metal is better; I mean, it has Master of Puppets.
Chief arsonist of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join
I don't listen to bands based on their creation date. There'll always be good stuff and bad stuff every year, decade, century, etc., but it's based on each individual's taste which 'metal is better'. Metal has progress over the years and technically it has evolved a lot but metal still wouldn't be what it is today without the initiators.
That being said I prefer 80s metal (the shred explosion, grindcore's creation, glam metal, black metal's evolution, etc.) to anything prior to that, or to the fusion of metal and all the random genres in the 90s, which spawned some pretty crappy non-metal stuff. I love metal's current state though because we have some amazing European metal bands, but we also have all the greats of the past.
Metal has progressed so much since the Sabbath ,Priest, Maiden reign,I mention these three bands cuz lets face it,talking old school, these guys were tops. yet, todays metal is filled with alot of old metal.weather played faster,slower,backwards,inverted, so I cant see anyone liking the new stuff and not like the old.

For me ,metal started with Sabbath.Though there were alot of heavy bands, they were still more hard rock,(imo). Iommi gave birth to Heavy Metal guitar, probly even down tuning and power chords, and if he didnt, he certainly mastered it and made it what it is today....again, just my opinion.
Quote by Embodiment
I don't listen to bands based on their creation date. There'll always be good stuff and bad stuff every year, decade, century, etc., but it's based on each individual's taste which 'metal is better'.

Good point. A lot of people wonder why guys like Joey Jordison and Alexi Laiho aren't ranked higher than Bonzo and Slash on top 100 lists, but some day they'll be right up there with them, and possibly ranked even better. It's not that Slash is better than Alexi, it's that Slash is more recognized with his history, and it's good to see people like you can understand that.
That's me, bitch!