Page 1 of 3
Anyone with half a brain about punk is going to say the 70s. Because that's the only decade it was really active at all!
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by SuperBlob
Anyone with half a brain about punk is going to say the 70s. Because that's the only decade it was really active at all!

Just because that's the only decade punk had commercial success (big 3: sex pistols, clash, ramones) doesn't mean it's the only decade it's been active. There are still plenty of modern punk bands around, it's just that they're a long way from the mainstream.

I'd say 90s too by the way.

The only problem that the 90s punk had was that Danzig had left the Misfits.

Also, punk had evolved to create grunge in the 90s too, so Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana were all around. Well, alright and Pearl Jam *sighs*
Aside from the direction Rancid was doing the 90s were pretty much garbage for punk.

I would say its either modern day or 70s. Hellcat Records has been putting out good music ESPECIALLY as of late.

Punkcore is also contributing a somewhat positive movement towards modern day punk.
Fat Wreck needs to stop.
Asian Man is decent.

But you can't deny the punk that came out of the 70's.

On a side note ... Brian why is it you dislike the Clash so much? If you don't mind me asking.
Tim, I love the clash, they're one of my all time favourite bands. It's just that no-one realises how fake they were. The clash have a lot of undeserved credibility, the record should be set straight.

In terms of the Uk, 80's, in terms of the world, 70's.
If we cut people out of the mythology just because they were fake, then we lose a lot of punk idolotry.

The Ramones were pretty fake.
The Clash were pretty fake.
The Sex Pistols were incredibly fake.

Who's next? Punk was popularised by hairdressers and shop assistants.
80's oi! in the UK, and the anarcho punk, and the seventies punk in both the UK and America.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by StaggHound
If we cut people out of the mythology just because they were fake, then we lose a lot of punk idolotry.

The Ramones were pretty fake.
The Clash were pretty fake.
The Sex Pistols were incredibly fake.

Who's next? Punk was popularised by hairdressers and shop assistants.

A world with mythology isn't neccissarily good. Just look at dangerous political ideologies like the Nazis, the Commines and the Mormons. They just used mythology for control.

The Ramones weren't fake.

They were just misconceived by the media as being dumb.

Johnny Ramone was made out as a fascist, where in reality he was just trying to get things done with a bunch of uncontrollable people.
Joey Ramone was made up to be an excellent songwriter and creator of the ramones style, whereas he was just a retard with an ok singing voice
Dee Dee Ramone was made up to be a creative self hating dumb juvenile. he wasn't dumb.
each decade has its own special peice of punk, when i think of 70's i think of you guys know exactly what, when i think of 80's i think of harcore, and 90 and up i think of street punk, which i like all of these
Let's clear up some misconceptions.

The Pistols weren't fake.
They had been a band since 1972.
The fables and myths that McCalren tried to build around them, were fake.

Punk only lived in one decade: the 70's.
Everything after that was either a revival or a bastardization.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
i'm going to go with 75 to 85. ^i disagree with your statement, although it seems to be the popular belief ever since crass started shoving it down everyones throats. punk didn't die at the closing end of the seventies, it merely diversified. certain scenes undisputedly suffered, but it was just as easily kept alive elsewhere. can you imagine how boring punk would be if the bands still hadn't changed since the 70's. it would become the biggest cliche ever. punk's not dead, it's in a coma.
Crass said punk is dead refering to how the clash sold out, or was it sex pistols? One of those, they didn't literally mean its dead
Quote by BrianApocalypse
A world with mythology isn't neccissarily good. Just look at dangerous political ideologies like the Nazis, the Commines and the Mormons. They just used mythology for control.

The Ramones weren't fake.

They were just misconceived by the media as being dumb.

Johnny Ramone was made out as a fascist, where in reality he was just trying to get things done with a bunch of uncontrollable people.
Joey Ramone was made up to be an excellent songwriter and creator of the ramones style, whereas he was just a retard with an ok singing voice
Dee Dee Ramone was made up to be a creative self hating dumb juvenile. he wasn't dumb.

They were, one could say "fake" in that they were competent musicians; the mythology is that they just decided to be a band and, about 8 minutes later, were.

Let's clear up some misconceptions.

The Pistols weren't fake.
They had been a band since 1972.
The fables and myths that McCalren tried to build around them, were fake.

But in a way, that makes The Pistols fake, doesn't it? Because the mythology doesn't match the truth. They weren't as they were projected to be, or projected to be.
Last edited by StaggHound at Feb 15, 2007,
I suppose it depends on your definition of fake.

Media Perception is never going to be accurate, therefore that would make every band fake. It's just the way things are.

That's why I don't much like to take that into account. When I use the word "fake" I'm talking about bands who don't act like themselves. Like the clash. The media only got them wrong because they acted it up.

Btw, who's Johnny Apocalypse?
i was wondering who johhny apocalypse was too...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

The Clash were fake, because Bernie hand-picked the band members, just as he had with London SS.
He told them what to write, what to wear and what to say.

The Pistols were already a band.
They wrote their own lyrics, dressed in their own style and when Malcolm told them to write a song (Submission), they purposely wrote the song the opposite of how he wanted.
(He wanted a fast song about sexual submission, so they wrote a slow song about a sub(marine) mission.)
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Some thoughts on how punk is dead....
Let's compare it to ska.

Did ska exist before it was called ska?
Yes, it was known as jump blues and was played by artists like Wynonie Harris and Big Joe Turner.

Did ska die?
Yes, it died around 1966, was replaced by rocksteady from 1966-68, then was replaced completely by reggae in 1968.

Was there a ska "revival"?
Yes, the first was the 2 Tone ska revival in 1979/80.
Then there was the Mighty Mighty Bosstones/Op Ivy revival about 10 years after that, which lead to the "crack rocksteady" thing with 10 billion bands that sound like LOC.

In spite of this, you won't find a single rude boy in Jamaica, because Bluebeat is dead.

This happens to all types of music, and punk is no exception.
Stop believing fairy tales.
Quote by sargasm

Last edited by johnnynemo at Feb 15, 2007,
im depressed now...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Sorry.
"Three chords and the truth", baby.
Quote by sargasm

I think that if you draw the difference between the original punk, and what's punk now, you realise that there's a lot less in common between the original punk music, and punk music now.

There's been a lot of baggage accumulated, a lot of stuff that's been added on, and there wasn't much to take away in the first place.
stop! no i don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I think if you had been around to see punk die, and then see hardcore rise from it's ashes and then die, you'd realize that punk has been dead for a long time.

Were the Stray Cats a rockabilly band or a rockabilly "revival" band?
Were they part of the original 50's rockabilly movement or where they someone reviving the past in the 80s, the way that Sha Na NA tried to revive it in the late 60s and 70s?

When Swing Music "craze" got big in the early 90s, was it part of the "movement that Benny Goodman started, or was it kids getting into their grandparents' music?

You know the answers, but you want to exempt punk from the equation, because....why?
Quote by sargasm

The seventies probably created the best music, but the eighties were pretty close. The only good punk I can think of in the 90s is the garage revival, which was pretty great. It's really all good though.
Last edited by opivy21 at Feb 15, 2007,
Yeah, you're right. Punk is over-I'm off to start a pretentious indie band. Bye
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
1880's

The Haymarket riot was sooo punx.

Berlin Conference and slaughtering of 10,000,000 civilians in the Belgian Congo.

Holler at it!
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
Quote by johnnynemo
I think if you had been around to see punk die, and then see hardcore rise from it's ashes and then die, you'd realize that punk has been dead for a long time.

Were the Stray Cats a rockabilly band or a rockabilly "revival" band?
Were they part of the original 50's rockabilly movement or where they someone reviving the past in the 80s, the way that Sha Na NA tried to revive it in the late 60s and 70s?

When Swing Music "craze" got big in the early 90s, was it part of the "movement that Benny Goodman started, or was it kids getting into their grandparents' music?

You know the answers, but you want to exempt punk from the equation, because....why?

but you do think there was a punk revival then, right?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

After 77, all punk is a revival.

But revival isn't the same as the original; it's tainted by the lapsed time.
you know what...i don't give two shits...im just gonna listen to my music and play my guitar...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I don't, and never have, understood why people get so worked up about this.

People should worry more about making good music, than they should about the status of a "movement", methinks.

A "revival" band, like D Generation, can make great punk music and people will dig it.
A "revival" band like Green Day, can cash in on crappy pop music, and people see through it.

Screw the "movement".
Just make better music.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by mike2
you know what...i don't give two shits...im just gonna listen to my music and play my guitar...

Which is entirely the right idea.

What's more punk than that?!
Uh, 80's hardcore anyone? Like minor threat, gorilla biscuits, adolescents, descendents, dead kennedys, misits, JFA, the faction, bad religion, suicidal tendencies, black flag, circle jerks, etc etc.
Last edited by ParticleManTMBG at Feb 15, 2007,
^that is what we refer to as what killed punk
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i was just playing...i like most those bands...i hate the misfits though...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Right now. I don't care what any of you say.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Page 1 of 3