http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-GTX44-Quad-Professional-Noise-GateExpander?sku=184118

Would this help for if I accidentally hit dead note? Because I play in a Pop Punk/Powerpop band and when I play root notes I like to mute the other strings so I can strum freely, will this help me out at all? When I do that with my amp and nothing else the sound gets projected.

Are there any other cheaper ones that would work fine for what I'm trying accomplish? Like a single pedal?
No noise-gate is going to cover up your poor playing.
Play properly, it's the only way.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
noise gates eliminate hum, in my experience even the highest threshold on one will still let muted notes through, just i would suggest practicing on not doing what you dont want to do
yeah, noise gate just eliminates excess string noise when you play, like the minimum loudness that has to be going into the gate.

so, no, noise gate will not help you when you kill a note
it may reduce the duration of the horrible sound though, but it will be noticable since everything's sustain is lower with a gate

-DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
It's not poor playing it's just a lot easier to do high energy stuff when your just strumming freely while muting the other strings. Isn't there a way to do that though? I know Cone McCaslin and Mark Hoppus do it a lot and you don't hear the muted strings being hit at all.
Is it so hard to just take shorter motions with your strumming? The distance your wrist moves is the last thing a crowd is caring about
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
I'm not doing it for the crowd. Seeing that I'm in a Pop Punk band we jump around a lot and it's a lot easier to keep just strumming freely then trying to keep alternate picking on a string while moving and jumping.
Quote by Macbethstx
I'm not doing it for the crowd. Seeing that I'm in a Pop Punk band we jump around a lot and it's a lot easier to keep just strumming freely then trying to keep alternate picking on a string while moving and jumping.

I jump around like crazy, and don't have to do a strumming motion. If you practice, it should become second nature to you.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Quote by Pysmone
I jump around like crazy, and don't have to do a strumming motion. If you practice, it should become second nature to you.

I guess it's just a preference thing. Your not going to change my mind, so please stop trying.

Can someone just help me answer this question about how they do it?
Quote by Macbethstx
I guess it's just a preference thing. Your not going to change my mind, so please stop trying.

They generally don't hit all the strings as they strum, it combines wrist rotation as well so only one string is hit. They also generally do it most when playing on the E string. The odd miss will of course be picked up but at a live show the noise gets drowned out immediately.

It really is piss poor playing to strum like that, there's no defending it. If you want to do it, then fine, but a noise gate isn't going to cover up the crappy sound in any way whatsoever. Only excessively loud show volumes will cover it, and that's not a route you want to go down.

And I agree, playing like shit is a lot easier then playing with good technique when jumping around like a fool at shows. Self-improvement: not just for Darwin
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by Macbethstx

I wasn't trying to kid, I was just pointing out that stage presence and muscianship can both be easily attained.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Quote by Pysmone
I wasn't trying to kid, I was just pointing out that stage presence and muscianship can both be easily attained.

Kid, that's funny especially since you know me so well...

If it can be so easily attained as you say then why do people like them in established huge bands do that? I think they would know more than anyone here.

I'm not saying they are the best bassists but they are sure better overall musicians than anyone here.
^ dont judge someone only because they arent famous

I've heard some guys in this forum play, and they were much better then Mark Hoppus or other famous bassists.
And second, remember that most of us are 14-18 year olds, and i dont know any bassist that got worldwide recognision in this age.

Now, why wouldnt you just work on your technique instead of relying on a machine to cover up your playing style?

Try and do an aucoustic show with this Noise-gate thing.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Even if they (McCaslin and Hoppus) aren't as bad as everyone says they are, you can't really argue that they're influential or especially skilled musicians. So why would you look up to them? Their style(s) is/are generic and pretty sloppy. There's nothing that distinguishes them from each other, or any of their peers, so why limit yourself to just that when there are artists who really understand the instrument and who could provide you with far more insight than the people you're admiring.
Quote by Macbethstx
I'm not saying they are the best bassists but they are sure better overall musicians than anyone here.

thats just plain ignorant. you think it takes a great understanding of music theory and composition to create "powerpop" and whiny songs about why your parents hate you as they feed you and keep a roof over your head?

3 chord theory is nothing. dont blame anyone here because they told you that you would be wasting money on a machine when really the solution lies in becoming a better musician. they were doing you a favor by telling you to save money jackass.

when you understand music, you can net some mad respect not just here, but anywhere. Until then, all the real musicians that may have been dragged to your shows by their girlfriends will understand what you guys are really all about.

being famous has nothing to do with skill. Jaco has skill. Wooten has skill. Hamm and Sheehan have skill.

Tell me what Mark or Cone did for bass players around the world of all ages?

Jaco revolutionized bass playing not just for jazz players, but for everyone. Wooten created a technique called double-thumping which allows you to play triplets through chord changes with as little movement as possible. Hamm and Sheehan tour with Joe Satrianni and Steve Vai....im not even going to go there.

and if you cant strum pick right, try anchoring your thumb to a pickup and just pluck the root notes with your fingers.
You're not going to find a machine to cover up bad playing. If you can't jump around and play well, stand still and play.
a noise gate is designed to eliminate noises when you're not playing. it will not eliminate incidental string noises while you are playing. practice is the only remedy to unwanted fret, or string noise. good luck!
Progbass, are you honestly telling me that blink-182/Sum 41 doesn't inspire kids across the world to pick up a guitar? You don't have to create a technique or do anything special to be influential...

How is Hoppus not a good musician, the statement I made didn't apply to Cone as much. Mark wrote countless number of songs in blink and +44 and he wrote all of the lyrics and they are pretty good lyrics.

Your calling me ignorant when you think Pop Punk is about complaining about your parents.. . I've never heard one Sum song about anything near that and there's only one blink song like that and Mark wrote it because he was making fun of how he acted when he was little. Before you go around calling anyone ignorant do your research.

No one in this thread has said anything about me saving money or wasting money and if there was nothing to be said then how could I go against it? "Jack Ass".

This thread was over a long time ago and then someone brought stuff up about my playing and it's here now. My question was answered yet you guys love to give me attention.

Thank you for the answers to my question to the people that did.
lol basically you said "will this make me sound good when I play bad?"

No, it wont.
Good explanations above though
Quote by Macbethstx
Progbass, are you honestly telling me that blink-182/Sum 41 doesn't inspire kids across the world to pick up a guitar? You don't have to create a technique or do anything special to be influential...

How is Hoppus not a good musician, the statement I made didn't apply to Cone as much. Mark wrote countless number of songs in blink and +44 and he wrote all of the lyrics and they are pretty good lyrics.

Your calling me ignorant when you think Pop Punk is about complaining about your parents.. . I've never heard one Sum song about anything near that and there's only one blink song like that and Mark wrote it because he was making fun of how he acted when he was little. Before you go around calling anyone ignorant do your research.

Couldnt agree with you more, mate. People love to hate on Mark, and yet i bet no one here has seen him jamming on his own or actually know how good he is. It's all based on songs released. That is the music Blink make, and thats why Mark plays like that. he has been playing bass for 20 odd years, i would say he is easily better than anyone on this forum, as much as you may not like to admit it.

Jealsouy is a bitch, and we like to mock things. Blink have sold over 13 million albums worldwide, so they must be doing something right. Personally i dont like them, but obviously lots of people do.

Until someone has met Mark and has asked him personally if he can play more than root notes, i say we stop speculating because no one actually knows how good he REALLY is.
Quote by Applehead
Couldnt agree with you more, mate. People love to hate on Mark, and yet i bet no one here has seen him jamming on his own or actually know how good he is. It's all based on songs released. That is the music Blink make, and thats why Mark plays like that. he has been playing bass for 20 odd years, i would say he is easily better than anyone on this forum, as much as you may not like to admit it.

Jealsouy is a bitch, and we like to mock things. Blink have sold over 13 million albums worldwide, so they must be doing something right. Personally i dont like them, but obviously lots of people do.

Until someone has met Mark and has asked him personally if he can play more than root notes, i say we stop speculating because no one actually knows how good he REALLY is.

You say blink have sold 13 million albums, i'm sure jaco/claypool/Hamm etc etc. Have sold MANY less then that. DOes that make them worse musicians?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
You say blink have sold 13 million albums, i'm sure jaco/claypool/Hamm etc etc. Have sold MANY less then that. DOes that make them worse musicians?

NO. Blame popularity. Blame socio-economic cues on major listening genres. Blame exposure types over the US. Blame MTV. Do not blame the musician.

I am a fan of Mark, because much of his work is what inspired me to pick up bass and helped me along my formative years of playing. No, he's not amazing, but he's good. Yes, Jaco, Sheehan, Wooten, and Hamm are beyond amazing, but just because they are doesn't mean that they will be as popular over a certain range of people. Again, exposure and marketing.

Really though, you could sort of admire these players for not over-marketing their talents and such, as I'm sure they play bass merely for the art of playing, and that is truly admirable.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by Forcemaster

No, you're missing my point. Some people dont learn an instrument to become a virtuoso and reach some Zen level of playing - we can't judge everyone by Hamm and Wooten et al. My point is that people who say Mark Hoppus is a bad musician and is crap simply because of the style of music he plays are just bitching. The Arts, including music, are subjective. My point is that someone who sells over 13 million albums must be doing something right. Whether we like it or, he is doing something right.

Blame MTV, blame who you want, but Hoppus is a succesful musician and has made a very good career for himself. That you cannot argue with.
I probably should have worded that a little different but I was in a rush so, go figure.

My point was, as soon as you start bringing in album sales into the equation things start turning nasty. As in graybass pointed out, if we do start blaming socio-economic trends and marketing. How much of these album sales are down the clever marketing towards target demographics rather than actual talent? This has happened hundreds of times in the past. For any recent example look at past boy/girl bands, american/pop idol winners. etc etc. The list is endless.

All i'm saying is, talent shouldn't be judged off album sales because other factors can come into that.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Essentially what is being said here is that you don't have to have musical talent however you define it to be successful, however relying on a noise gate to get rid of unwanted sounds is a BAD idea, what happens if you lose the notes that your playing? what if the machine breaks during your biggest gig ever and your jumping around in your own little world?

the one thing that will never fail you is good technique, and guess what, it's free!!!
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
Essentially what is being said here is that you don't have to have musical talent however you define it to be successful, however relying on a noise gate to get rid of unwanted sounds is a BAD idea, what happens if you lose the notes that your playing? what if the machine breaks during your biggest gig ever and your jumping around in your own little world?

the one thing that will never fail you is good technique, and guess what, it's free!!!

Have you not realized that I have come to that conclusion? I don't know why you're still going on about it.
Quote by Macbethstx
Have you not realized that I have come to that conclusion? I don't know why you're still going on about it.

cause it's true
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Forcemaster
I probably should have worded that a little different but I was in a rush so, go figure.

My point was, as soon as you start bringing in album sales into the equation things start turning nasty. As in graybass pointed out, if we do start blaming socio-economic trends and marketing. How much of these album sales are down the clever marketing towards target demographics rather than actual talent? This has happened hundreds of times in the past. For any recent example look at past boy/girl bands, american/pop idol winners. etc etc. The list is endless.

All i'm saying is, talent shouldn't be judged off album sales because other factors can come into that.

I am not saying album sales are a good judge of talent, i am simply saying you cannot just write someone off who has the ability to write music that can generate that many album sales. That's all i am saying. I strongly disagree that it's about clever marketing, or socio-economic trends - it's about writing catchy, simple riffs that people like.

Jaco he aint, successful he is.

I completely understand your point of view on this, but marketing doesnt sell 13 million albums worldwide.