Hi, I'm trying to find a nice (for the price) practice amp. My budget is 150 USD. I play mainly RHCP sounding stuff, but every now and then I'll play something a little rougher with more distortion. Can anyone recommend me the amp I'm looking for?
it depends how many watts???
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
Probably check out the Roland Cubes. The Vox AD series is probably better suited to you but a little more expensive.
Alright, so far I'm seeing

Marshall MG10CD

Roland Cube 15X

Any other amps I should look into? Can anyone name a specific Crate amp model I should check out?
yea i agree with the crate
sont know what their called just know umm by color.... blue red and black. blue is more standard, red has effects and black just sounds better.
Blues Junior is WAY out of my price range. What about a Crate RFX15? It's the vintage looking one with the yellow/gold.

I can get a Roland Cube 15X cheaper than the micro cube, is the micro cube worth the extra money?
Any cube.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by shuriken
Marshall MG10CD. runs 60-80 USD. its what i have n its great

YA!! I'm not the only one with an MG10CD!!!! Yeah they're great PRACTICE amps. I found a good setting if you buy an MG10 for RHCP.
The contour, put it on 1 o'clock or use your neck pickup and put the contour on
9 o'clock. That will give you a Cant Stop tone with the first one. I'm not sure about anu other songs with the 2nd one though.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
If I go with the Marshall MG10CD, am I going to be wishing it was louder? I know it's just a practice amp, but still.
Quote by Sink Colin Sink
If I go with the Marshall MG10CD, am I going to be wishing it was louder? I know it's just a practice amp, but still.

No you're gonna be wishing you bought something else. MG's have a really bad rep around these parts and for good reason IMO, they are awful sounding amps.
Thanks for the advice on the MG.

Would the Roland Cube 15X be a good choice? I dislike the fact that you can't plug a foot switch in to it, is there any way around that dilemma? Or is my only option to go over my budget and get the 20X?
epiphone valve junior

then a cheap od pedal like a digitech bad monkey or a boss super overdrive
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Micro cuuuubee!!!111!

But yeah, valve junior ftw also. You need a cab though, so that might run you up a couple more hundred.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Also, keep in mind I may be using this amp for very small, guitar and vocals only shows in my finished basement or my room.

Any more thoughts?
Well, you can get alot more headroom with the stack. But honestly, the combo will be fine for you! Just check it out man and report back.

You can always add a cab to your combo if you need the extra push.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Sink Colin Sink
I was talking about the Valve Junior Combo, is the head a lot better?

The head is great, but if you don't have a speaker cabinet lying around, what's the point? The combo makes for a great little practice amp, and will serve you very well to just play your guitar and sing. Music shop by me has one for $109, so be sure to try and talk your guy down.

Know what it is though: a one knob wonder. You can't touch it for the price, Crate's 5W tube amp is twice the cost! But you may want to play with the Vox DA5 or Microcube before you decide. You may find you want the bells and whistles those amps provide.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Just to let you know the Valve junior combo only has one knob and that is the volume knob. thats all there is. But hey its an all tube amp
Thanks for all of the advice, guys!

I'm most likely going to buy the Valve Junior combo, I think it would suit me very well.
What pedals should I be looking at to accentuate the all tube sound? As I said before, I play RHCP sounding things.
Valve junior combo for sure, getting one as soon as my couch amp bites the dust. Pedals to get, Boss Sd-1, Mxr Microamp, MAYBE(Big Maybe on that one) a Boss Ds-1.
PIGNOSE 7-100, FTW!!!!!!!!

It is really cool, and loud for a tiny amp. My friends are jelous of mine (perhaps cuz it was cheaper than i thought possible. heh)

Serious, check it out, check my review.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
PIGNOSE 7-100, FTW!!!!!!!!

i was just about to say that too...

great amp

try the hog 20 if you want a little louder...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well now I'm leaning away from the Valve Junior because I play mainly cleans, and if I want the cleans to be loud I'd have to turn the amp up, but in doing so wont I be basically adding distortion to my sound? Or will the Valve Junior played clean be plenty loud enough for bedroom and basement guitar/vocal mini shows?

Any more recommendations would be very helpful!
Cube something. Cube 15. Micro Cube. Doesn't really matter.

JUST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GET THE MG10CD!!!!

First amp I bought was a Marshall 15DFX, and my god it sucked. Don't be a sucker and just go for the Marshall name like I did.
Vox ad15vt - $190 new, and a very great amp you should be able to find a used one in your price range. This would be your best amp IMO. It suits your needs and sounds great.

If your really on a budget and can;t get the ad15vt then try the
Roland Microcube - $120ish
Very good amp and portable too.

And the Vox DA-5- $150ish.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
So the Roland Cube 15X is better than the valve junior for louder cleans? I'm still fascinated by tube tone, though. This is a tough decision. And I'm definitely not going to get the MG, don't worry. =)
You can pop in a low gain tube like a 12au7 or a 5751, but the VJ is clean about half-way up, a tad more with single coils. The new tubes would decrease preamp gain about 25 or more percent.
I'm surprised no one suggested the Fender Pro Junior yet. It's an all tube two control little monster that sounds great on its own. You cn really beef it up with a pedal of choice in front of it. I think new they can be found for 199 and used well in your price range. I've used one for years for practice and also two of them on stage with cabs under them.
Quote by bfloyd6969
I'm surprised no one suggested the Fender Pro Junior yet. It's an all tube two control little monster that sounds great on its own. You cn really beef it up with a pedal of choice in front of it. I think new they can be found for 199 and used well in your price range. I've used one for years for practice and also two of them on stage with cabs under them.

Nevermind, I just seen that they raised the price on these quite a bit. I guess it's been a while since I had to purchase one . . .