Poll: Telecaster or Stratocaster
Poll Options
View poll results: Telecaster or Stratocaster
Stratocaster
20 80%
Telecaster
5 20%
Voters: 25.
Hey, recently i've been growing outward in my musical tastes. I used to just really be into old school british punk and some newer punk bands. And well i've been digging The Red Hot Chili Peppers. So here I stand. My lp Jr isn't cutting it. I'm looking for a new guitar, highest i want to go is $500. And i'm also looking for a good amp 400 tops for the amp. I've been checking out alot of the fender standard stratocasters and telecasters, what are all of your opinions. I've tried both guitars and i just want to hear UG's opinion. Thank you very much!!
Fender Standard with a Valvetronix? Something like that?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
yeahyeah, is the guitar good quality? how about the amp? would i be able to choose the color it comes in?
The classic series guitars are MIM but the classics that I've played have all felt like a big step up compared to the standards and I really like their neck shapes. I don't know about color though, you'd probably have to call them up.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
is the difference in pickups? tonewood? and would the amp aid in getting that RHCP sound? And if i got that package would it be smart to pickup a cheap pedal?
Well Arlabester, since you seem to be the Captain of fenders royal navy, i have a few questions.

1.) Are the Fenders in my price range of lasting quality?

2.) What would you rate the amp?

3.) Are the necks of those vintage ones still fairly thin?
Quote by GdayArmstrong
is the difference in pickups? tonewood? and would the amp aid in getting that RHCP sound? And if i got that package would it be smart to pickup a cheap pedal?

I'm not sure about the quality of the wood, but they are both alder. The pickups on the 50's and 60's classic are "3 Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat® Pickups with Staggered Pole Pieces, Alnico Magnets, Aged Covers" and the standards have "3 Standard Single-Coil Strat® Pickups (Ceramic Magnets)" and they are more modern sounding. It would be a good idea to get an overdrive also
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
than are the 50's and 60's virtualy the same guitar? and do you know of any affordable overdrive pedals?
Other than the necks, yes. And the digitech bad monkey seems to have a good reputation but I don't use any pedals and I know next to nothing about most of them.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by GdayArmstrong
than are the 50's and 60's virtualy the same guitar? and do you know of any affordable overdrive pedals?

Apparently the 50's is more geared towards blues and early rock and roll, while the 60's has a better clean tone.
Dickless.
ok, so the 60's right? and metal what is your opinion on the 60's pack vs getting a standard and a vox? because I noticed that you +1'd the fellow that said standard and vox
Yeah dude i can listen to anything frome Necrophagist to Al Di Meola not emo or rap though. I would go with a strat or a tele and some sort of tube combo
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Quote by GdayArmstrong
ok, so the 60's right? and metal what is your opinion on the 60's pack vs getting a standard and a vox? because I noticed that you +1'd the fellow that said standard and vox

I'd say the standard and vox, as most starter packs suck, and the amp is about 75% of your tone. I'm not very well versed in fenders, but to me the standard sounds a bit worse on a clean channel (much more for indie/alt. rock IMO) but has much less buzz.
Dickless.
well i don't believe that the pack was such a starter pack as just a value package, getm both for a discount you know??
Quote by GdayArmstrong
well i don't believe that the pack was such a starter pack as just a value package, getm both for a discount you know??

I'd still go with the standard and vox, no amp in that range can beat it.
Dickless.