I'm using a laptop but it ain't working very well. Keeps blue screening and memory crashing because it can't handle Cubase so I think imma start dreaming up a new machine to build. Was wondering what are the important stats (ram, hard drive etc..). PC only since I wouldn't mind usin' it for gaming inbetween

some starting stats..all can be changed..
Intel Core2Duo E6600
2 gig of ram? 4g ?
250g hard drive?
what kind of sound card?
etc..

Thanks
I don't take any musician seriously unless they are a Mac user. If you want to play games, get a Playstation 3.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
I don't judge musicians by their material goods...

I don't get where you're coming from at all Dutch. If you want to be salesman for mac, put it in your sig or something, otherwise some substance would be nice to back up your claim. I've already asked you about this once, and you haven't responded.

-JabUppercutHook

PC is just fine. Brainwashed Pro Tools people think they're bad ass, even though Cakewalk and Cubase can do everything Pro Tools can, if not more, for a mere fraction of the cost, it works with all kinds of soundcards and computers (Pro Tools does not) and it comes ego free...

Definitely a gig of RAM, fastest processor you can afford, and fastest hard drive, not the biggest. I mean you want it to have plenty of space, but more importantly you need it to be fast. That will increase the number of tracks, real-time FX and etc you can play back simultaneously.

To give you an idea, I just have an AMD Athlon 1.5 MGHz, with 512 MB RAM, and a standard IDE 80 MB hard-drive and I can playback about 20 audio tracks with 2 soft-synths running soundfonts and 12 ( I think..) real-time FX, including the compressor and EQ on the main channel out. Now, that's really pushing it.

So, you might use that for a comparison. If I needed to do this kind of processing on every song, I would definitely upgrade. My computer is several years old and it wasn't top of the line when I built it.
Quote by slash-120
yeh but not everyone can afford a mac

i get where your comign from though

Well, judging by what you said in your first post, I'd say you might be able to afford a mac.
thx paranoia, i got a pretty good build i think for a PC..macs are for the elitists who want to feel better about themselves with there awsome presentation
Quote by JabUppercutHook
thx paranoia, i got a pretty good build i think for a PC..macs are for the elitists who want to feel better about themselves with there awsome presentation

^^I would say that was an uppercut...
*comes back

For many years, I had very bad experiences with PeeCees. They ranged from bargin household kind to custom built ones. Once I got my Powerbook, it solved all my multi-media needs. I'm not happy with everything about Apple, but I will not go back to using PeeCees unless I want an expensive Video game console. Macintosh is the industry standard for a reason. I've read many of interviews with producers who use both and many I have found use Macs for tracking/mixing/mastering while the PeeCees they have are just running Gigastudio or are there so they can check their email while in the break room.

Also I never claimed to be a Pro Tools user, I don't know where anyone read that at. The program I use is Digital Performer which I have heard also surpasses ProTools in the options category. I used to use Cubase but found it over complicated after awhile.

Just look at my current signature if you have any other questions.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
All that sounds quite reasonable, but why the smug post ealier? You know we're all broke...

On a side note...I got a bonus on my check yesterday and am considering purchasing a nice vocal mic. What would you recommend? I'm not very knowledgable about mics. I'm just using a 58 right now, but would like to get a nicer mic dedicated for recording vocals.