I'm just curious to see if anybody here uses a thumbrest on their bass. One of my basses has one and I've been contemplating putting one on my new bass. What do you think?
can't thumb rests be used for pizzicato style playing? I honestly don't know because I mainly play Double Bass.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
I just use the pickups...
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I want to stick one on my fender but that's mainly because i want it to look more vintage style. I had one on this really crappy bass i bought and it was alright but usually i just use the pickups
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Confused4930
I just use the pickups...

+1

although i thought it would be cool if i put one on.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
I've never had one, but I'll use my low B string/pups as a rest.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
i have one on the other side so i can use thumb style picking
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Why do most Fenders have the thumbrest UNDER the pickup, as opposed to on top of it? What the hell is it for?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Why do most Fenders have the thumbrest UNDER the pickup, as opposed to on top of it? What the hell is it for?

To brace your fingers against when playing with your thumb, as most bass players did when electric bass first came around.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
the Bongo has a thumbrest built into the top of the pickup casing. And I do use it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by thefitz

i just posted the answer right above your post lol
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I see, I misunderstood thumb-style to be the same as slap and pop.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by UtBDan
the Bongo has a thumbrest built into the top of the pickup casing. And I do use it.

yeah, that is a nice touch on the Bongo, i have to admit.

You dont see new fenders with the rest underneath anymore - i think you can assume if you see one of those it's an old instrument!
My Italia Mondial has got a thumbrest. I use it quite alot.
Big plus is that you can slide it away so if you want to play floating thumb style the rest won't get in the way.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
My Epi has one, the Ibanez doesn't. On both, I tend to rest my thumb either on the pickup or the E now, though when playing certain styles (triplets, fast gallops), the thumb rest on the Epi is nice to have. It also gives it a nice "vintage look".
Im just using the pickups, or rarely the E string.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Again, I use the pick ups. Much easier than getting a thumb rest on, and I don't really like the look of them. But it's just me, I've never tried one so God knows I could in the future and swear by them.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I usually use the pickup but I think it'd be cool to have a thumbrest. I'm just not motivated enough to buy one and attach it.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

When I built my Warmoth Jazz Bass, I thought about it, but seeing as I'm more a guitar player than a bass player and I use a pick, I didn't see the need for it. Do what you gotta do, I guess.