alright, so i have an epiphone les paul custom (yeah yeah not a gibson, but im in college and mommy and daddy dont want to give me money for a gibson). i like it and i play stuff like trivium, thrice, as i lay dying, and some fall of troy.

im using the original pickups and im plugged into a line 6 spider II...15w i think. its weak. i never really though of upgrading my amp anytime soon, but im in the process of forming a band in the next month or two.

my main question is: what should i get first...

amp (and what kind..should i go with a halfstack? im not made of gold either...price range $0-$600)

or

emg 81 & 85's.

either way, ill end up getting both an amp and pups, but im unsure of what to get first. we wont be practicing or playing gigs for a few months, but i just got a paycheck and i have an urge to spend it.

thanks.
"alright, so i have an epiphone les paul custom (yeah yeah not a gibson, but im in college and mommy and daddy dont want to give me money for a gibson). i like it and i play stuff like trivium, thrice, as i lay dying, and some fall of troy. "

epi lp customs are better than gibon studios/specials etc in alot of peoples opinions ecause your paying for the name

but id go for a valve amp
its alot louder than a solid state amp thats even twice the power rating

and the amp is the main influence of tone
yeah go for the amp first, and if you want to save some money try to get the EMG's used.

Crate makes cheap loud amps that dont sound all that bad, check them out.
Start with the Amp first. You will Definately need to swap pickups down the road though..... if you want to get all you can out of that guitar. All-Tube (Valve) is the only way to go. Don't be fooled by Watts either. 100 watt Tube amp and you better be practicing in your college's football stadium. I have a Class AB 60 watt TSL 602 Marshall and a Vox AC30 Class A Head running at 22watts RMS selector.....and it kicks my Marshall's a$$ in terms of loudness. But all valve is a must. And when you're practicing / gigging..... nobody cares what your "stack" looks like. Only what it sounds like. Besides..... when you're micing up through a PA system..... you really only need to mic up 1 or 2 speakers anyway. A really nice Valve 30, 50, or 60 watt head and a nice 2 x 12 cabinet is all you'll ever need. You'll be suprised down the road how much of a difference the speakers in the cabinet make. Killer amp..... Crap cabinet equals Crap sound.

For $600 you can probably find a nice used Valve amp. Maybe a Marshall DSL 401.....Crate, Peavey, Vox.....something of that nature. Start with a Combo..... and then later on get a separate cabinet...... and then later on upgrade to a separate Head. $600 is a stretch..... but if you spend it all on a solid state.... No Matter who makes it eventually you'll kick yourself.

And after you have an amp..... once you get some gravy saved up trade that Epi in for a used Gibson. There IS a difference and it ain't just the Name.

The only people who bash Gibson LP's are people with Epi's..... and the only people who bash Epi's.... are people with Gibsons..... or Squires. No offense peeps but truth is the truth. The custom EPI is probably as good as it gets for entry level guitars. No shame in that..... my first guitar was a Mex strat in 1993. But I tell you what..... I've owned a few Delux and Am. strats since..... and the NECK on my Mexi KILLS all the other strats I've played. But the electronics SUCKED.

So.... smaller and better is always going to sound better. We ain't Slash or Jimmy Paige.... so 100 watt 1/2 stacks are OVERkill. Why do you think you see so many for sale on eBay and in the music stores used? People get 'em and can't use 'em.

Peace
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
you'll probably want something like a peavey, because if you live in dorms a marshall or vox amp will tend to disappear quickly. get like a XXX 1x12 combo.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!