Alright, this is probably a really dumb question, but I'm too inept to work this out in my mind. The low b-string on my bass is kind of loose and floppy. If I wanted to give it a little more tension, would I need a thicker or thinner gauge (if this is related at all)? The guy at my music store mentioned something about a thicker gauge, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Thicker gauge should make it tighter
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Thicker gauge should make it tighter

Really? I'm not questioning you or anything, but could you explain why? Like I said, I'm pretty inept, and I'm still working out the fundamentals of this stuff I guess. =P
Sorry, I can't think why right now, which is annoying because I asked the same question in a music shop not long ago. Damn. Sorry again.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
He's right I'm not sure why exactly, but when I put thicker strings on my guitar they don't flap around as much as they did when I had the thinner ones on.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Hmm, I see. Do you think .135 would suffice? That's what I've been looking into.
Thicker strings require more tension to tune to a given pitch (since the string is heavier and therefore has more momentum as it travels back and forth, it requires more force to change the string's direction of travel). So putting a thicker gauge on will increase the tension needed.

A .135 B will certainly help, but it'll still flop a bit if your bass is a 34" scale, which I assume it is (what type of bass is it anyway?).

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
There exist .145 strings as well. They are quite taut, but they sound like absolute cows when you play anything above the 3rd fret. Also, because the note is so low, it might actually help if you played closer to the bridge; the string is tighter there. Since the note is so low, the 'twang' associated with playing near the bridge isn't as noticible.

Another thing: most bridges are a bit too narrow to accomodate a .145 string. However, all you need to do is keep tightening... it'll eventually fit thru the hole.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by canadianpunk071
A .135 B will certainly help, but it'll still flop a bit if your bass is a 34" scale, which I assume it is (what type of bass is it anyway?).

It's an SX bass, and I'm pretty sure it's 34", or at least somewhere around there. So are you saying that something like .125 would work better on such a scale?
Quote by Hergiswi
It's an SX bass, and I'm pretty sure it's 34", or at least somewhere around there. So are you saying that something like .125 would work better on such a scale?

No, thicker is always better. I'm just saying that 34" scale basses (which yours is by the way) can never fully get rid of B string floppiness. Put a .135 B on it and see how it goes, though. It'll certainly be better.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Yeah, even a .145 is a bit wavy. A low B is 30Hz, which means the strings vibrates 30 times a second, which isn't a lot. By the nature of the string, it's bound to be a bit wiggly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..